Restarting after each level

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Restarting after each level

Post by Chroelle »

Oh I am on a RTS high here...

Dont you ever get really annoyed with the fact that you have built up a huge metropolis in a level in a RTS game, and after you beat that level and move on to the next, they totally restart you... Seems rather weird to restart with nothing but a town hall or whatever after having 100+ buildings on the level before...

Do you know of a game where you don't have that. Where they actually seem to take into account that you just had a Metropolis built up?

It would be great with a game that just expanded the map instead of restarting a new one every level... Do you know of such a game...

It would of course lead to a huge map on the last level, but honestly dont that just add to realism...
It would be great to make a game where your uprising starts in a village and you build up that village to be the HQ of your operations, and hence build it larger, while the map grows larger too, and the enemies starts rising...
NOW THAT WOULD BE GREAT!
The whole game could actually consist of one map, and you would just get knowledge of more of it as you go along...
(But it would of course need a level editor, and maybe even a campaign editor, so that people could make their own games based on it. - This could grow a huge online community of swapping maps...)
*RAnt over*
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Iirc SimCity didnt contain any levels and you were just expanding your city more and more and more...

I might be wrong of course since I havent played SC much and it was...erm...15 years ago?

One thing that is important in RTS games is controlling your city/factories/army. Dont you think it would be too hard to control huge (computer) map with thousands units and buildings? Levels are the only way that can provide drawing gameplay in such games. And 'gameplay' means not the same as 'reality', at least that's how I always thought.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well in a game like Cossacks for example (which I find to be one of the best RTS games ever - More precisely American conquest version) the buildings are not too many to control, as there are only a limited supply of different buildings. And you can research from any of them...
When you expand you will almost always use the rim-buildings more than the core ones, since you want to produce troops, and the walk from the core of the city to the rim is too long -and you want your men ready for combat fast. So the number of buildings wouldn't be that big of a problem...

Simcty is more of a management game and hence don't really fit on the kind of game I was going for. I am thinking of the battle oriented ones.

--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well I just remembered this thread and wanted to bring the attention to Warzone 2100 which we have here on the site now.
http://curlysworldoffreeware.com/game_i ... gameid=150
Lives up to my idea of expanding the map instead of restarting everything in new levels. GREAT GAME.

--Mark Twain