Help make the site look better

Here you can ask here for help on things concerning the forums or make suggestions on how to improve things.

Moderator: Crew

Dizi
Legend

Help make the site look better

Post by Dizi »

Hi I've been nominated as the head of the design of this site. I'm looking for a team :D

Basically what would be required is small team that will help with the graphics of the site (Logos, buttons..ect). No experience is needed so if you want to try your hand at it then why not give it a try.

Any questions or to Sign up do so in here :D
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

If noone else signs in, and if I am not too busy hunting games :roll:, I can help, if chrølle allows it :roll:

But use me onlu as a last opportunity! ;)
[u][b][color=indigo]:Givemebeer:....................It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's.....................:Givemebeer:[/color][/b][/u]
[img]http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/3111/banner4gl.gif[/img]

Be sure to check [color=blue][b][url=http://www.lost.eu/336d9]this one[/url][/b][/color] out!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

You are allowed. So far we need members for all groups so please join up if you have the time. Later you might get shut out though :D (According to the rule of one postion in crew pr person. :D But again Groups are not specifically crew... They are "just" people helping the site ALOT! And they will be considered crew in the future.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

Hmm... Okay then.. :p

*Signing up...*

But please, if you count me in, don't overload me with work, cause I am a little behind in the game hunting I think.. Gotta play a lot of games this weekend, if I have the time..
[u][b][color=indigo]:Givemebeer:....................It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's.....................:Givemebeer:[/color][/b][/u]
[img]http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/3111/banner4gl.gif[/img]

Be sure to check [color=blue][b][url=http://www.lost.eu/336d9]this one[/url][/b][/color] out!
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

Don't worry I won't be giving people a lot of work to do :D

Once I know what it is that is needed to be done I will let you pick and choose from a list which ones might intrest you.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well so far we got a logo for the downloads site. If someone would like to do a banner it would be great. This way we can put banners on other sites too.
I will make the design forum as a subforum, but please submit your ideas to which forum it should be a subforum. Maybe feedback?

--Mark Twain
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

well it could go in feedback or even the marketplace as that is for everything else that doesn't have a place anywhere else...hmmm
mistergreen77
Tycoon

Post by mistergreen77 »

I think feedback is a good place for it for now - I am interested in following the progress of it. I think the question of what CWF will stand for in the future needs to be settled though in order for design forum to proceed.
[size=84][color=green]“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler.”[/color] - Einstein

[color=green]“There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.”[/color] - Nietzsche[/size]

:twisted: [url=http://forum.connect-webdesign.dk/viewtopic.php?p=5411#5411]Society of Sinister Minds.[/url]
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

I agree with you on the name, but just for the logo, but I also feel the genral style of the site needs to be made before the logo is created. Its mich easier to design a logo for a style then do design a style around a logo.
mistergreen77
Tycoon

Post by mistergreen77 »

I liked the way at OG you could choose 'style sets'. I think as long as we have consistent fonts and page layout the colours can be taken care of in the style sets. I agree you can't design the logo without resolving the name problem, but also the name will give us a feel for the 'style' we are looking for.
[size=84][color=green]“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler.”[/color] - Einstein

[color=green]“There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.”[/color] - Nietzsche[/size]

:twisted: [url=http://forum.connect-webdesign.dk/viewtopic.php?p=5411#5411]Society of Sinister Minds.[/url]
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

Also, if everybody agrees, Diz will take care of the design with her team (and others willing to help/give ideas of course!) and after that, mrGreen could well convert the page to valid xhtml if needed :) (Does this sound good to you mrG, and Diz?)

Also, I am a bit unsure if we should do the 'site' and forum to look the same, or if it would be better to make them look different...

errmm.. mrG, do you happend to use msn or icq? It could be good to be able to talk with you in realtime at some day / night :)
mistergreen77
Tycoon

Post by mistergreen77 »

I think they should feel the same - consistency is important in establishing a brand. I don't mind validating the pages if needed but I think really think we will have to go down the path of generating the pages dynamically on the server with php - because we want to implement a points scheme and that means session management and connection to the forum database.

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well for starters it seems the design group has headed into some of the same issues that other groups have hit too. The lack of signups, so please people SIGN UP FOR SQUADS!

Of course it will be harder to do a logo without anything to balance it on. But as far as I believe, the style/layout of the page will be the same as this one, so if maybe we could do some tricks with coloring... Maybe you can set a colorscheme to work with. And we can implement that later on. The downloadspage outlook is entirely in your hands (as long as your hands show me, FM and Monte what they are holding and lets us ok it :D)
So any ideas are welcome!
On the matter of forum and main page looking the same, I cannot help but think that there should be some things that make them look intertwined, but not so much that you are in doubt when you are on the main page and when you are in the forums. The should however look like they have something to do with eachother :D

--Mark Twain
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

mistergreen77 wrote:I think they should feel the same - consistency is important in establishing a brand. I don't mind validating the pages if needed but I think really think we will have to go down the path of generating the pages dynamically on the server with php - because we want to implement a points scheme and that means session management and connection to the forum database.
True.
But nevertheless the page must be outputted in html/xhtml. And I'm planning to use templates to create the output, which means there'll be basically html/xhtml files, which php reads and adds it's things before displaying. So anyways, we must use html/xhtml when outputting the page, either by using echo / print statements or by using templates (and print / echo of course :p)
mistergreen77
Tycoon

Post by mistergreen77 »

On the matter of forum and main page looking the same, I cannot help but think that there should be some things that make them look intertwined, but not so much that you are in doubt when you are on the main page and when you are in the forums.
I think that hits the nail on the head. I assume it is no problem for the design group to redo the gifs the make up the buttons and controls on this site? Then we can reuse the fonts and images for the forum on the download page, which will give them the consistent style, but the differences should be the layout of the download page is very different to that of a forum.

Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

well thats the plan :p
mistergreen77
Tycoon

Post by mistergreen77 »

looks like fonts and colours are all managed by css - I know quite a bit about css so if you need help just ask.

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Just to update. Prideth has also joined the designteam. Things are starting to come along... Dizi says she will have something to show us within the next couple of days.
ANTICIPATION!!!!!!!!!!

--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Since that didn't work out we are still very much in search of designers. Anyone that has any skills in this direction and would like to help design the next big thing in freeware gaming sites, should ultimately report to me or Maz.

--Mark Twain