Minesweeper cheats

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Minesweeper cheats

Post by Drasir-Vel »

When you have the minesweeper window active, type XYZZY and then hold shift down for a second. After that, the top left pixel on your monitor should turn black when there's a mine under the mouse.
Microsoft cheats too! :)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

That is one fun little feature. Funny that Microsoft would implement that. :)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Cheating at Minesweeper... :lol:
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

I never understood what cheats are good for. I talked to some kids at work some days ago and they told me that they don't even start playing games without the right cheats. How could that be fun???
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

You know, when I was a kid I played Amiga games with cheats usually. I didnt care, I just typed codes because others tought me that game x must be played with this or that codes and game y cant be because theres no cheat code in monthly magazine. ;) I dont remember anyone calling it cheats, they were just "passwords". I believe we started to treat games seriously someday around 13 or 14 years of age. It's all about approach Id say. If you play games only for amusement cheat codes are part of fun, if you treat them as mind or skill exercise cheat codes take fun away. I treat games too seriously, I dont cheat at all. I never finished two of my favourite adventure games because I dont want to cheat. I think it's not fun and I'm a weirdo, but I cant help now. Not cheating is part of my private fun. ;)
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Cheating is great if you can handle it. But it is like an addiction sometimes. I have sometimes made some of my more serious games into perfect timewasters by adding cheats to such an extent that the game became a clickfest to complete. Also it is fun to adjust the game with cheats sometimes so you can make the game exactly what you want.
Example:
Championship manager 00/01 - I moved Beckham onto my Danish second division team to see how that would interfere with the game. I couldn't have seen that without cheats.
Europa Universalis 3 - I use cheats to see if I can actually conquer the world. This turns the game into a total clickfest.
I dont think it is a good idea to get the cheats or a walkthrough for a game before starting it. It really makes it too easy to succumb to temptation. Instead wait to see if you can handle the game on your own, and then go look for it afterwards to see if there is anything you missed (walkthroughs) or anything you could tweak the game with (cheats).
And if you get stuck in a game then I think it is a personal oppinion wether you want to go eMTes way and let a game sit there waiting for you to solve the puzzle after years of dweeling over it, or if you want to get on with the game so you can start another game fresh without having your first game in the back of your mind all the time - don't know if eMTe has that - but I know I would.

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

This thread reminds me of the time when I tried to complete "Commandos - Behind Enemy Lines" without even using the save function (except in between the levels). I think I never got further than level 4 this way...

I have to admit that I use walkthroughs from time to time myself when I get stuck in adventure games. But normally that just happens when I play games for this site and want to see the end before I rate the game.
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

I redirect further general discussion on cheating to this nice old thread. :)

http://curlysworldoffreeware.com/viewtopic.php?t=189
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Seriously people :dontfeedmods:

--Mark Twain