Game vs game stats

Here you can ask here for help on things concerning the forums or make suggestions on how to improve things.

Moderator: Crew

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Game vs game stats

Post by Chroelle »

Well I had an idea an wanted to know if it was doable. I noticed that someone really spent alot of time voting to rearrange some games positions in the table. And they should, but it would be cool to have even more stats in there (Yes I am a statsjunkey).
Is it possible to get:

- Highest climber in the passing 24 hours
- Highest climber in the last week
- Longest faller 24hours
- Longest faller week
- Most voting member(s) last week (The name(s) of the member who placed most votes in the last week.) A top 3 or 10 maybe.
- Number of votes placed in the last week (of everyone).

It would be so cool to follow how things worked out. And again we have an addictionfactor in this too. Getting your game in the top and your name on the list.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

You know what would be quite nice in that GameVsGame box. It would be quite useful if I could click the title or the screenshot and get to the game's page. Like in the Spotlights-box. That would be nice.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

It should however open in a new window, in case somebody wants to look over the description to remember before they vote. I have wanted that sometimes, when I was on a voting-frenzy and suddenly couldn't remember a particular game.

--Mark Twain
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

Zyx wrote:You know what would be quite nice in that GameVsGame box. It would be quite useful if I could click the title or the screenshot and get to the game's page. Like in the Spotlights-box. That would be nice.
done.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Cool! :thanks:
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Just to be a pain... Could it maybe not open in a totally new window after all but open like Greybox/lightbox etc..
http://www.engin.umich.edu/solarcar/gre ... mples.html

Like one of the examples where you can see one page and not a gallery...
Only if it is easily done though. :D

--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Main disadvantage of this little "game" is that games dont have same starting point. In 2010, when we'll have 483 games and Spirit Engine will be on top with 23439 points it will take months for potential new hit to climb up. The ranking is not too representative and the longer time passes the more advantage games uploaded now have. We have to work out solution for this, the earlier the better.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

I don't think the earlier games have an advantage. The more games there are, the more battles the new games can win. And if they beat one of the old games that are on top, they got lots of points (i.g. if "Spirit Engine won 117 battles so far, a new game would get 117 points) at once, a thing the old games were never possible to gain when the battle started.

And some of the new games like "Prodigal", "Warzone 2100" or "Death Worm" managed to get to the top really fast (because they are good)...
moshboy

Post by moshboy »

The best way to keep it fresh would be to measure it during the last month and then base top 10 - 100 game statistics on this. So everyday the statistics would be based on the last 30 days, rather then the older game having an advantage. It keeps it fair.

I plan to change my top. 100 to this method myself when my site gets its big update (although mine is measured by download numbers).
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

PA is correct.
Actually, later a game is uploaded, better chances it has in the long run.

When we first launched GvsG battle, all games were at 0 points. So no mantter which game won against which, winner only got 1 point. Now when more votes have landed, you "win more points in each battle". So a medicore game which is uploaded today can quite easily get near the top scoring, while old games can get bigger points only when a new voter does vote. (I hope I am clear).

I'll give you an example.

I voted between
The Battle For Wesnoth and The Spirit Engine at early stage.
TBFW won and gained ~5 points. (TSPE had only won 5 matches back then).
I did also cast similar votes berween TBFW and Privateer, TBFW and Leylines, ...

TBFW only got few points for those votes.

Later when we added Warzone, and I casted similar votes for WZ, it gained around 100 pts. for each vote. It is a huge advantage.

I know this system is not fair, and I was thinking of re-calculating the battle results based on current win/loss stats. But doing that each time a vote is casted would cause too heavy load on our server, especially if theres a few ppl voting/viewng results at same time. But this would give advantage to games added later. So I guess we can as well accept the fact, that the Game Vs Game feature is made just for fun, and is somewhat flawed and biased ;) We really cannot make it equally fair for old and new games by any (reasonable) means. I could do a page which would monthly calculate the rankings based on updated winns/losses amount (which would give advantage to old games), and maybe display some stats about how it is calculated... I could if I had the time :D

And even if we used Mosh's method, with our monthly vote amount and game addition rate it would propably be quite pointless. Only a few games would be voted, and I doubt results would really reflect the goodness of a game.

And finally if we start to list bad things in our current GvsG system, the lousy RNG (random number generator) some of the games seem to be constantly in voting while others are almost totally neglected.

So my suggestion is to just enjoy the feature and take it's results more as a fun stats than as a meter for games' quality. (Although I believe the top games are liked by ppl in here :) )
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

Chroelle wrote:Just to be a pain... Could it maybe not open in a totally new window after all but open like Greybox/lightbox etc..
http://www.engin.umich.edu/solarcar/gre ... mples.html

Like one of the examples where you can see one page and not a gallery...
Only if it is easily done though. :D
This would not necessarily be such a huge problem.
But it would require greybox being added to the server, and frankly to say, I do not really like it :/ I have some odd dislike towards every 'plug and play' framework - I do like to do everything myself (as much as possible).
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Fair enough. Plan dumbed. :D

I think the whole thing works fine the way it is. It is kind of fun to try and get your newly added favourite game near the top, while not damaging you old favourites, and still being fair. I have at times spent hour(s) sitting anv voting. (One of the reasons why Prodigal came up that fast.) :D

--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Thx for the long :shock: explanation. I somehow missed the fact that games earn the number of points corresponding with number of battles won by "opponent".
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

How about the stats I talked about in the beginning...? Could this be easily done?
If so then I suggest making a page which contains all info regarding GvsG and als making it possible to vote there (and still also being able to vote on the frontpage) This would have the positive sideeffect that you could vote and wouldn't have to load the pictureheavy frontpage at the smae time every time you voted...

--Mark Twain