Interview with developers of That Night Before

Guides, reviews and interviews for freeware games we had on this site previously.

Moderator: Game Hunters

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Interview with developers of That Night Before

Post by Chroelle »

I caught up with Scurvyliver Entertainment and wrote him some questions. He quickly wrote me back. Here is the interview.

Here is a description of the game:
"Waking up that day, things felt unusually different. For one thing, it was 2 AM, I had no idea who I was or whose bed I had been sleeping in. Then next thing I knew, I was being blamed for my girlfriend's mysterious disappearance; and a pesky cop named Todd wouldn't get off my case. My head ached. What happened that night before? Where was my girlfriend? Could I really be responsible? - And why was the whole town giving me the run-around??" (From the diary of Roy Haliway).

This story comes in 4 acts. You get all four in this download. The idea is great, and if you think you have the plot figured out in act two just write it down on a piece of paper and then read it again to yourself, when you have completed the game. Just to see how wrong you were. This game will throw twists at you from left to right, and you will be caught up in a game, that has some ok graphics, and some ok sounds, but the gem lies in the capturing plot.

We saw this game in PCGamers September issue from 2006, and decided to tell the developer that his game was featured. This gave us enough goodwill to host the game. Thank you, Scurvyliver Entertainment.

You can find That Night Before here and the game developers site is here.

Chroelle:
Tell us more about yourself - how old are you, where do you live, what do you do for a living? (one of these basic interview questions)

Scurvyliver:
Well I’m 26, I live in Australia, and work doing design and some film work.

Chroelle:
It has been quite some time since you made That Night Before – will we see a sequel or maybe another act?

Scurvyliver:
Amazingly it was back in 2002 when I finished That Night Before – and while it still continues to be downloaded I unfortunately haven’t had much opportunity to work on a game since.

The tough part is finding the time – but I most certainly would love to create a new game. While TNB is almost a stand-alone game, the ground work is definitely there for a sequel. In fact I began tinkering with a sequel a couple of years ago… Perhaps one day It will be made.

Chroelle:
What other games did you work on, and are you still involved in game creation?

Scurvyliver:
I worked on the FOMI series… it’s disappearances is shrouded in a bit of mystery – as was highlighted in the PCGAMER article a few years back…
(ED: FOMI: Fate of Monkey Island – which LucasArts cancelled as they saw it as “using their trademark” .)

Chroelle:
When did you start playing games? Do you have any fond memories of those times and did you decide to make a game of your own because of some of them?

Scurvyliver:
Absolutely, when we first got a PC back in 1994, the first game I ever played on it was The Secret of Monkey Island CD version. It was the best game I had ever played, and from that point I became obsessed with playing any and all LucasArts games. It was great to get immersed in each adventure, with great story, and especially great humour.

I like being creative and telling a story, so when I found the tools to make my own, I took on the task!

Chroelle:
Did more people work on the game, and if so was it difficult leading the progress with volunteers working for you.

Scurvyliver:
The game was essentially a one-man show, so it wasn’t too bad. Though as the game continued I got fantastic help from game testers, a guy who created some of the background art– and a guy who created some awesome music!

Chroelle:
How do people react to the game and the many twist it brings, when they talk to you about it?

Scurvyliver:
Most people seemed to really get behind the game. In its ‘hey day’, the message board was full of people who would voice their support. As I released each chapter over time, I took on peoples input – what they liked and didn’t. For a while there we had a TNB survivor poll – where a character was voted out each week. This helped me decide the fate of several of the characters in the game.

Chroelle:
What was it like seeing your game reviewed in a PCGamers magazine?

Scurvyliver:
Was unbelievable! I must thank you for actually telling me about it. I was very happy to make it to print – especially with such a great review! If anyone can get me a high res scan, please help!
(ED: We are working on that)

Chroelle:
Do you remember any ideas you had for the game that didn’t make it?

Scurvyliver:
The game was originally going to involve time travel…. But then I thought I would keep it more simple. There was also going to be a special cameo of Dominic Armarto (Voice of Guybrush Threepwood) as a bound and gagged figure in the wax museum scene. He gave me his permission – but because of time restraints, it didn’t make it.

Chroelle:
Was the game ever in danger of not being published? Why? And at what state?

Scurvyliver:
No never. Once I start something – it must be finished.

Chroelle:
Did you ever make similar games to That Night Before later or before?

Scurvyliver:
FOMI was my first attempt at an adventure game.

Chroelle:
Will we ever see Game X completed?
(ED: Game X is featured as a work in progress on Scurvylivers site).

Scurvyliver:
Unfortunately no, this game was being developed by another team who I was supporting – and it looks like it might be canned.

Chroelle:
Which freeware games do you remember playing that made you take on freeware game development?

Scurvyliver:
I can’t quite remember them now. I played a monkey island one by Datadog, that was a fun story.

Chroelle:
Were there any games that inspired you for That Night Before? Maybe something other than games?

Scurvyliver:
Movies and TV mainly, there’s plenty of references in there. Futurama was also big at the time.

Chroelle:
What part of That Night Before was the hardest part getting done?

Scurvyliver:
It was all relatively good. Writing all the text can be annoying – and drawing the backgrounds was tough.

Chroelle:
What kind of game you would love to make if you had the resources needed and open boundaries?

Scurvyliver:
A classic point and click and adventure game in the spirit of the monkey island series. It would have to have plenty of twists, mystery, humour and just be really fun to play!

Chroelle:
To me the coolest feature of the game is the plot-twists.
What do you think was the coolest feature in the game?

Scurvyliver:
I would have to agree, I like coming up with a story – and especially one which keeps you guessing. The puzzles are there to play, but the story is what drives you to complete them.

Chroelle:
Where do you see yourself 5 years from now regarding game making?

Scurvyliver:
Ha, to be honest probably where I am now – and that’s making games as a hobby. Hopefully in 5 years you will be talking about my next game. haha

Chroelle:
Do you have any favourite games from the freeware scene?

Scurvyliver:
I don’t get a chance to play many, but I want to see more.

Chroelle:
Which leads up to the next question.
If you were to mention a GOD of freeware, who would that be?

Scurvyliver:
That would have to be your site of course ;-)
(ED: ALL HAIL CWF!)

Chroelle:
What are your views on giving away commercial games as freeware when they have been commercial for some amount (you decide) of years?

Scurvyliver:
Hmm I suppose, if the game cannot be brought anywhere – why not turn it loose on the public for free! Bring in some new fans.

Chroelle:
If you could choose to do a freeware game with any game developer or publisher(freeware or commercial) who would it be?

Scurvyliver:
Lucasarts back in the mid 90's!

Chroelle:
Ok. To finish off the interview. The classic question:
Any words for enthusiastic independent game developers?

Scurvyliver:
Just give it a go, stick with it and have fun!
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain