Price & Quantity Vs Quality

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

JKSM

Price & Quantity Vs Quality

Post by JKSM »

Is price or quantity more important to you?

1) This can be in terms of products or services from the view point of a consumer. Would you buy something because it either costs less or you get value for money with more items for the same price, or because the quality is better although it costs more. This can range from food, drinks, furniture, household items (tissue, toilet paper, pots, pans etc), stationery (pen, pencils, paper etc), electrical items (TV, computer, CD-ROMs etc), entartainment (DVDs, VCDs, Watching Movies at the cinema, computer/console games etc) and any other items you can think of.

2) This can be in terms of work that you produce. Do you finish 10 pieces of work by the deadline or do you ensure that the quality is achieve even if it mean exceeding the deadline?

Choose any aspect above that you are interested in talking about. You do not have to cover everything. Share your thoughts, feelings or experiences.

Let me start the ball rolling. For me, I like better stationery. Previously when I was studying, I was often frustrated by many pens that could not write well so in the end I bought a more expensive brand that I like. I like 80 grams paper compared to 70 grams paper for printing but don't need it to be 90 grams. However, I do not have a preference for brands as long as it is 80 grams. For things like toilet paper & tissue, I'm not particular and choose the cheaper ones as long as they are no like sand paper. :P For entertainment stuff, I tend to choose quality over quantity / price. However, when there is something cheap, sometimes I do not mind buying and taking that risk in using.

In terms of work, it is hard to strike a balance between quality and quantity because of the deadline. Personally I would choose quality (doing the job well) compared to quantity (finishing all on time even if they are not well done). However, at times, I do sacrifice the quality to meet the deadline. Sometimes, my superior would affect my decision after checking the work as she chooses quality and we miss the deadline but there are times she closes one eye. ;)
mistergreen77
Tycoon

Post by mistergreen77 »

I think there a quite a few different factors involved in the decision.
First there is the miniman quality and quantity required. Then there is the question of resources, or the most you are prepared to spend. Perhaps we could have an experiment. We could make a list of items varying in quality and an imaginary spend limit. People could then tell us how they would have spent the allowance.
[size=84][color=green]“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler.”[/color] - Einstein

[color=green]“There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.”[/color] - Nietzsche[/size]

:twisted: [url=http://forum.connect-webdesign.dk/viewtopic.php?p=5411#5411]Society of Sinister Minds.[/url]
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I would rather have the quality for the most part. With my model railroad, for example, I would rather have a few freight cars of the highest quality, and locomotives that ran very well and at scale speeds, than a lot of junky cheap toy like cars, and engines that break down all the time.

Same goes for my computer work, and this is why I am short on some types of parts right now- I would rather buy the long lasting parts, than whatever is cheapest at the moment. Remember that I do commerical computer construction- I do NOT settle for buying cheap junky components that wear out easily. (Granted in the Bar I mentioned my own PSU is dead in my machine, but I totalled my wattage requirement, and it looks like a 450 Watt Power Supply is not enough, that I miscalculated on my requirments. I got a LOT of hard Drives!)

Anyway, I am usually willing to save my money to buy components and trains that will last a long time, years and decades perhaps.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.