Silkroad

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I just bumped this one for eMTe, and also because it contains no singleplayer part I think we need to make a determined rule to set the standard of what belongs in here. If online only gamesw belong here too, then we need to make sure they are labelled properly.
Suggestions?
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I think that games that can be played offline without unintentionally loss of content should be possible to validate as freeware.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Three possibilities:

a) All games that don't have an offline modus belong into the online section. No matter if they are freeware or not. That was our old solution and it wasn't that bad. On the other hand it was turned down and that's why we search for a new solution.

b) All free online games belong into the freeware section. I have to admit that I don't like this solution.

c) All games that are downloadable, free and that don't need registration belong to the freeware section. All games that can only played in a browser or which you have to register for stay here (like Silkwood). That's the best solution in my eyes.
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I agree in that solution b is bad. In my eyes a real freeware game is something you can keep yourself, without being dependant on a server, or internet connection.

If we use solution c ultimately we would miss out on these games since they require registration for downloading.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

That's why we don't have them on the site. We don't get permission to host them as Rockstar wants the people to register before they download them and they don't want the files anywhere else.
But of course these are offline freeware games, so it's possible to open threads for them in the freeware section. It's just not possible to host them...
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Why are we dismissing games that require registration? I am asking out of interest not in spite.

I think that we could very well make the policy - downloadable and free. But I am unsure about registration. Please be aware that I was against any online games from the get-go, but games like Savage showed me that there were good games out there that might rock my oppinion.

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Why should we host games that require registration on another website? Doesn't make any sense to me. It just takes away disk space and will cause extra traffic. And as anyone who wants to play them has to go to the official website to register there, he or she can as good download the game there (instead of downloading it from our site and going to the official site after that).
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Ok. I didn't see it that way. Of course you are right.

--Mark Twain