Beneath a Steel Sky

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Beneath a Steel Sky

Post by eMTe »

Ok, since this game was officially released as freeware I add it here. If you know this game you know it's a true classic. If you dont know it - well, it's your problem :mrgreen: . Download and try it! It's not my personal favourite (for me it was far too easy), but astounding graphics and atmosphere are enough to call it masterpiece.

Download link: http://curlysworldoffreeware.com/game_i ... ?gameid=28 (CD Version)

http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php

Files you HAVE TO download to run the game (I recommend downloading full CD version with actors' voices):

-BaSS Freeware CD Version (67 Mb) or BASS Freeware Floppy Version (7.3 Mb)
-BaSS SKY.CPT file (416 Kb) - required to run the game with higher than 0.7 ScummVM version (don't download this file if you already have older scumm version installed)
-ScummVM installer for your OS (choose from "0.8.2 Release binaries" list) - from 1.1 to 3.4 Mb depending on your OS

Developer: Revolution Software

Release date: 1993

Tech notes: ScummVM program required to run the game (in next post I'll write brief summary of how to run the game under scumm, since it causes some problems for newbies)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well I am waitng for that next post :D

Actually there is no doubt that this game will be added when we have a working system. I don't really feel like adding it to a BETA-version just to add it again when the Downloadspage is up and running. But maybe I will get in the mood later and then it is a definite game for this place.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

HOW TO RUN BENEATH A STEEL SKY USING SCUMMVM PROGRAM

1. Download latest ScummVM version for your operating system (choose from "0.8.2 Release binaries" list):

http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php

2. Install ScummVM on your computer

3. Scroll down screen to "extras" and download BaSS Freeware CD Version (67 Mb) or BaSS Freeware Floppy Version (7.3 Mb)

4. Unzip the game to your chosen directory

5. Download BaSS SKY.CPT file (416 Kb) - required to run the game with higher than 0.7 ScummVM version

6. Place SKY.CPT file in game directory

7. Run ScummVM, a black-green window should appear

8. If you want to play the game in fullscreen mode choose "options" then "fullscreen mode" and then "ok"

9. Click "add game" (you should see the list of your drives) and navigate to find the path to your game folder (don't double click, click once to choose the directory and then press Enter)

10. When you'll find game directory proceed to it, you should see...nothing. But gamefiles are there, don't worry. Just click "choose" and game will be added.

11. Now you are ready to play the game, click "start" and enjoy! 8)

12. Each next time you'll run ScummVM list of added games should appear in main program window
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

And btw: Isn't more of the "scumm-games" becoming freeware soon? I seem to recall something regarding this but not more specific than that...

--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Mmmm... Havent heard of this... Maybe there's some info in scumm forums...

Btw, here is the list of games compatible with ScummVM:

http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php

Looking at the list I dont see any game that could be released freeware soon... Lucasarts won't do it in next light year, maybe Simon The Sorcerer or Broken Sword? Revolution Soft officially supports scumm project and that's why their oldest games are free now, so Broken Sword is the next possible free release imo. But don't expect it any soon...
Monteque
Tycoon

Post by Monteque »

Broken Sword freeware maybe?

Anyway the series is till going strong. The fourth game will be released soon.
Yes, it's true. Broken Sword 4 is coming. To be exact, summer 2006. Developer of BS4 will of course be Revolution Software. The publisher will be THQ, who also published Broken Sword 3 - The Sleeping Dragon. The game is planned to be released summer 2006, which probably means Revolution have developed this game for a while.
Btw Beneath A Steel Sky is a great adventure game.. Bought it for my Amiga 1200 way back... 8 Floppy disks :shock: .
[img]http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/5705/sig2rose5ju.jpg[/img]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I completely forgot to check the status of scumm version of BaSS. Afaik there should be no problem with this, but I'll ask scumm people if we can put this version here. Just to be sure. :)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Any news on this?

--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

As in my last pm.

Small excerpt from readme file:

(...)Basically, give this game away, share it with your friends. Don't remove this Readme, or pretend you wrote it. You can include it in a software collection, like a linux distribution or coverdisk (which may be sold), but using it in things like commercial adventure game collections without asking is just playing dirty. This preamble is not legally binding, but is to clarify the intent of the following license.

License:
You may distribute this game for free on any medium, provided this readme and all associated copyright notices and disclaimers are left intact.(...)

Clear enough I think.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I misunderstood you. I thought you were asking them if we could upload ScummVM to this page. Do you know if this is doable?
I think it would be cool to have it as a tool on this page...

--Mark Twain