The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by eMTe »

I haven't watched YT, but I read Telegraph article on the couple. Gorpcore look, huh? I use gorpcore clothes for work, minus boots, because they're high-heeled thus not suitable for flat surface walking. All UK tourists in their pension age travelling here are gorpcore, or at least outdoor-core for the lack of better word. The clothes, especially shoes, look brand new as if they all follow the same advices from the same websites or maybe even government? "Buy new comfortable shoes suitable for walking around the town". I have nothing against it, just compliance of all kind always looks fun to me. 8)

I feel ambigous about "visit all X places" or "collect all Y objects" agendas, because the choices are always arbitrary to a certain degree, but if they have fun with their travels.. :D

One interesting (and exotic) thing about English railway stations is they are all (?) fenced.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

To accompany my recent delve into the world of Pen'n'Paper games, I've now started to look at Board'n'Card games.
The sort of games that you'd gather together and place into a shoebox under the bed..
The imaginative title for such a collection?
Shoebox of Games, of course!!

The collection is still in its infancy, but already has 3 Solitaires, a couple of word games, Yahtzee, and a few more.
I'm aiming to keep building this up, so if you'd like to see anything in particular, do let me know!

Should work reasonably well on most browsers and mobile devices.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Why not moving into the world of designing analogue games?

I mean seriously, with your talent you would easily invent some mad board or card game that would sell.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

The world of AGameAWeek is a lonely one, and makin physical board games becomes fairly depressing when all you can do is collect things, take photos, and then put them aside never to be played...

*sigh*

Also, the boomin cost is insane. Just a deck of cards costs about 30 or 40 quid to produce, if you want nice quality cards and a decent box to put them in. Soon adds up, and then you have to produce them in bulk to make them worth doing..

Crikey!! Make Playing Cards
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I didn't mean creating them physically as I understand you are still stuck to hospital bed, connected to tubes and pipes, because of your condition? (sorry, I don't have Fb account anymore and I lost touch with The World)

You can still design games virtually and connect with people who can create them physically. I meant this kind of cooperation. 8)
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Haven't been hooked up to tubes for about 6.5 years!
It was only a "little" brain tumor ;)

Nah, my lack of "Player 2" is more down to my own reclusive nature, than anything.
Yeah, I've definitely been looking into the Card thing, and was considering doing them as a possible Xmas Gift, but.. That's a bit "Me, Myself and I", and you can't exactly give your family a deck of your own cards, can you!!!
It was bad enough seeing their faces as they opened up Xmas cards, one year, to find Santa-Plat on there. My family really couldn't give a rats arse about my games..

.... *sigh*

As for "actual board game design", I've always felt like anything I come up with should be playable with minimal effort. Like the idea of the SpikeDislike with a deck of cards that I did a few years back, where you basically use dice rolls to count cards, and try to avoid "landing" on a Spade/Spike.. It's nothing magical, and is far from being a decent game, but if you happened to have a deck of cards and a die on hand, you'd be able to give it a quick play.
I wouldn't like to design anything "HUGE!" without it at least having a videogame representation. .. And, hopefully, this Shoebox of Games will allow me to do just that.

Patent Wars might actually end up being playable, this time 'round.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Little!

I'm still trying to receive bits of coverage from my imaginary alcoholism and imaginary suicide attempts and imaginary relationship problems to actual cancer and actual moodswings and actual relationship problems, but it seems I'm just The World. I have settled socially and biologically perfectly in between of everything. Time, space, you name it.

Meanwhile, I am trying to discover traces of metaphysics in Darkseed, but it looks these are just coders errors.

Life is a black bitch in Barcelona, I tell you.
Tormuse
Warhero

Post by Tormuse »

That's a nice collection in the "Shoebox of games," Jayenkai. :) I'm sorry to hear that your family isn't more supportive of your hobby. :( For the record, I'd be honoured to receive a Santa-Plat card. :D

Regarding making physical games, my older brother recently made a physical card game called "Spell It Out," which is a combination of Scrabble and Dominion. (I don't know if you're familiar with Dominion, but it's a deck-building card game) I happen to think it's a lot of fun, but don't get the opportunity to play it often enough, because I also have a tendency to isolate myself. :P

I can understand how depressing it would be to put the effort into a game only for it to be never played... but that said, the Spike Dislike card game could be pretty interesting. I can imagine each card having a spike in a different position and then shuffling the deck and laying them out end to end and thus creating a randomized playing field. (Then you just need to figure out a set of rules for navigating it) Maybe you could turn it into a sort of solitaire game that you could play on your own so you'll be sure it gets some use. :)
[size=84]"A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe."
Pierre Burton[/size]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Yeah, families can be hard to please.
Mum is at lest enjoying Shoebox, so .. I guess more family friendly games are coming..?

Haven't heard of Dominion before, but I've added it to the potential board games list.
I'd love to get a decent Scrabble up and running, but it needs some fairly complex AI work to get it going.
I've already got the wordlists in there, alongside an anagram routine, and between the two I'm hopeful that.. bit by bit.. I can get that all working.
Slow and steady! I'll be making clones galore, soon enough ;)

Meanwhile, I'm currently watching Geoff and Vicky doing AllTheStations in Ireland. (Youtube/Twitter/faceboook and more)
Much fun, and lovely scenery!! :)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I'll be in Ireland this September! probably

My love for UK/Ireland/Faroe Islands/Iceland/Greenland increases with every British crime series I watch. Currently I'm watching Shetland. I discover them (series) not accordingly with the timeline they were released, but I have this strange feeling they're moving slightly north. First, there were just "UK" crime series, set in broadly understood England, then they moved to Yorkshire, which is largely empty in terms of population density and now they set the stories in even more desolate community.

Before 2040 there will be British-type crime series set on a North Pole, I tell you.

On another note, I have realised recently how doomed CWF had been from the beginning. I visited GameTop website recently to download some casual games and they market themselves as a site having "over 1000 games". Afair CWF at its peak (which was also the beginning of its demise) covered 350 to 450 games (correct me). All those games are unoriginal, easy to made (now, from the perspective) and technically ok, so they would all pass CWF tests. Single Russian (most likely) site now claims millions of souls worldwide.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Numbers aren't important.
If they were, I'd be a world famous gamedev by now.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

One should be not!

The best observation point is from a street gutter. You have total control over everybody, including your gutter neighbour or Donald Trump, you name your enemy.

This is why one should always remain independent, no matter what your current actual hierarchical situation is. Be it politics, family, government, gamedev, corpo. Whatever happens, f**uck everybody and you're always a winner.

What comes from actual scientific surveys, surprisingly, is that fierce individualists are the best team workers. It may sound weird at first, but it's true. Fierce individualist is the last member of the team/society to be considered being prone to manipulation, so in time of truth like - Some Imaginary Armageddon - society should always refer to The One being least involved in team/society animal relations.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Afair CWF at its peak (which was also the beginning of its demise) covered 350 to 450 games (correct me)
417 games... :D
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

jayenkai wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 0:07
It was bad enough seeing their faces as they opened up Xmas cards, one year, to find Santa-Plat on there. My family really couldn't give a rats arse about my games..
A little bit late on the reply, but I'll just leave this photo I've taken today here...
card.jpg
Tormuse wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 23:49 For the record, I'd be honoured to receive a Santa-Plat card. :D
Also for the record, I kept the one you sent me and Spinal cos I really liked it, and the lego platdude you sent him years ago has sat on my desk ever since I stole it from him :lol:

(Spinal = my husband who's left foot is famous Jayenkai's forum)
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Awww :)

.. nice to know someone appreciates my general insanity :)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Hey! My insanity is greater!

At least, I have found a perfect title for my autobiography: "Every day was different". This makes 365 x circa 70-something insanities describable and publishable. The number of your games will never surpass the number of my moodswings! :mrgreen:

What's "somebody's left foot being part of something? Is it an idiom?
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

About a decade ago, Spinal posted about his foot to my forum, along with a description of the Veinous Aneurism that was on it. Over a series of posts he described how he dealt with it, and included a few photos, too.
Somehow it must've popped up high in search results, because.. man, for a coding forum, we suddenly became a hub for Foot related visitors!! To this day, it's one of the most frequently visited posts on the forum.
Can't argue with results!!
My own Brain Tumour didn't get nearly as much attention ;)

Linkage
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

It's actually "venous aneurysm".

Sounds like a typical name for a post-indie-punk-industrial-black-something band. Mix whatever happens in your veins/cells with your nightmares, add some spicy personal issues, believe that you're different from medieval peasants and kids who died on a whim. Voila. Call a doctor!

I'm a registered and acknowledged hypochondriac, so I know how it works. The real danger comes from "I know how". When you know how things work you start using this knowledge to your advatage.

Innocence of various kinds is always better, but --
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

LOL. Damn spelling! Took me all my time trying to spell aneurism, I wasn't worried about the vein or none-vein bit!
*shakes fist* KHAAAN!!!!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Really, it's all about language.

I try to persuade everyone I know offline or online to speak, write everything they want. Completely everything. They still can't believe that internet is meant for these purposes. They attach their real names and surnames and emotional personalities to ideologies, politics, health issues, personal turbulances, gaming views. Save it for Universe life. It's internet here.

I still can't believe $!^ and ))B^^Vs$ haven't caught the vibe and are so afraid of me.

As for the attention, it's really interesting for me how people care for so-called "social issues". I never cared when my parents died. For both of them it was a relief. Now, everywhere I look people care for people living far away.

Drop it. Human life is worth less than you try to persuade other humans from your social bubble. You don't care if your aunt dies from cancer (you're actually quite happy, because you hated her and life goes on with other family members) but you care for people you met or read about online.

And no, I'm not drunk.

Face it.