What Are You Listening To?

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: What Are You Listening To?

Post by eMTe »

Now this is an interesting story. A couple of days ago someone left a leaflet in a place where I work. It was an advertisement of a free gig by Morrison Orpheus Choir, in a nearby church. Since I love free gigs and I love music performed in churches as churches are ideal places for live music performances AND I knew nothing of male Welsh choirs except that one of them performed on Radio KAOS album by Roger Waters, I went.

A bunch of devoted old-timers, on an apparent tourist tour to Vienna and Cracow, gave a nice performance, mix of Christian, classical and pop songs. One song drew my attention, because it had a very catchy melody, so when I returned from concert I immediately googled it, thinking it's some renowned pop piece that I have never heard of. It proved the contrary - it's an UNKNOWN song, a favourite for various choirs around the world, by unknown for the masses. It's a song with a Christian feel and a bit kitschy words, but the melody is worthy of Elton John.

I googled a bit deeper and the song is so - relatively - unknown that it's hard to tell at first who's the author of it. According to my research it's certain Harry Middlebrooks, but if he's the author of the song or of the words - remains a mystery to me.

Anyway, I am happy that I have discovered something new in this world full of repetition. ^^ It's like discovery of an unknown retro game.

Here's the performance by another Welsh male voice choir I am listening to - looped - right now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szngfin_s2U[/youtube]
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Now this is an interesting story. A couple of days ago someone left a leaflet in a place where I work. It was an advertisement of a free gig by Morrison Orpheus Choir, in a nearby church. Since I love free gigs and I love music performed in churches as churches are ideal places for live music performances AND I knew nothing of male Welsh choirs except that one of them performed on Radio KAOS album by Roger Waters, I went.

A bunch of devoted old-timers, on an apparent tourist tour to Vienna and Cracow, gave a nice performance, mix of Christian, classical and pop songs. One song drew my attention, because it had a very catchy melody, so when I returned from concert I immediately googled it, thinking it's some renowned pop piece that I have never heard of. It proved the contrary - it's an UNKNOWN song, a favourite for various choirs around the world, by unknown for the masses. It's a song with a Christian feel and a bit kitschy words, but the melody is worthy of Elton John.

I googled a bit deeper and the song is so - relatively - unknown that it's hard to tell at first who's the author of it. According to my research it's certain Harry Middlebrooks, but if he's the author of the song or of the words - remains a mystery to me.

Anyway, I am happy that I have discovered something new in this world full of repetition. ^^ It's like discovery of an unknown retro game.

Here's the performance by another Welsh male voice choir I am listening to - looped - right now.

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Malmen!
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Reminds me of the best in Aminet Chiptunes!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

We're all OG, CWF, Lemon Amiga and C64 gals and guys, from North Pole to South Pole, from betrayals and dark sides to bottom discoveries, we are the best!

Chiptune is the new marley, the uniting thingy thing. Grownups, kids, healthy and ill, depressed and those who keep going, it's The Tune you should follow, no matter what.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Meanwhile, I continue to do “more and more layers” in a desperate bid to disguise my lack of talent.
Wish I had the skills to do things four-channels at a time!

Recent Choon
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

This gem discovery is getting better and better with every listening. The guy is Pink Floyd of mod music. It's not only the outstanding output itself, but how he's progressing. Listen to his first stuff from around 2010 (?) and recent pieces, in comparison.

Come to think, while I was contemplating another hng try during last decade (this time successful of course 8)) this music came around and I've started an unofficial campaign to bring Kristoffer to Pixel Heaven 2019. So, another goal to achieve.

It's absolutely surprising how these sunny rays come [are shot at you? - conspiracy theory, conspiracy theory warning], completely unexpectedly.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

YAPKIBN

ZFDITY
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I'm on a The Two Who Stole the Moon binge. I couldnt predict that finding the entire movie on YT will trigger such a strong nostalgic vibe.

I have this strong suspicion that Lady Pank (the band responsible for the soundtrack), always accused of The Police influences, decided to create the ultimate The Police-influenced music, TTWStM being the kids cartoon and all. "It's just the kids movie, so who would care we're just the iron curtain The Police" they thought. Which resulted in one of their best music and one of the best The Police-influenced (and synthpop influenced) music of all time. Well, sometimes you have to chill out to reach the heights.

These songs are so extraordinarily melodic they should be sent into the outer space, instead of Pioneer plaques.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Now this is fun. George Harrison's estate announced a competition for creating the video clip for the song. The winner has received a moderate sum of money and his clip has become the official video for the song. There are so many "fanmade" videos for pretty all the songs one can imagine, so why not utilize the new medium (new in comparison with 1971 when the song was released) and make something worthwile out of this mess.

It's of course no match for the best fanmade clip of all time - for Boards of Canada's "Roygbiv", but I love the idea. More big firms should decide for involvement of fans' creativity.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I am probably the only human in the world who finds the refrain of this song (namely the chorus) devilishly similar to the refrain of the song by certain US band which was dubbed the most coherent or inherent (I'm writing from memory) -- and brilliant -- iirc modern US band.

I sound vague, because I am curious if somebody here recognizes this similarity.

By somebody I mean Mo, because I suspect him of being knowledgeable about US alternative/roots/otherwise definitely US. music. So a personal quiz. 8)

Yeah, but Mo is not a forum asset available in this forum. ;)

I can't say it for certain, but the band is probably better known in Europe than in US, just like Woody Allen is.
The name of the band starts wih "L".

Zyx? You know everything.

Tormuse? Canada is much like Europe; US, just pardoned.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

That video doesn't seem to exist...
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Kurt Wagner, Zyx!

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Uh.. I don't know what happened to the link, it seems to work in other places..

Maybe now?

Is it because it's VEVO or because it's Polish and there are some viewing restrictions imposed on other countries/websites? Don't know.

edit: seems to work here. Indeed, there's some error in the previous post.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

What a beautifully un-Irish band.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_KBdq-RhcCw

Hail to Microdisney. Sort of CWF type of music. Coming from nowhere.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

In the midst of information chaos, it was easy to miss Robbie Bachman has joined the ranks of The Biggest Band.

Whole XX-st century culture is tumbling down in front of our scrutinous eyes. They fall like flies; I am fairly sure some people (not here, in general) interested in music didnt even notice figures like David Crosby (recently) or Charlie Watts (long) are gone.

And in a couple of decades abandonware culture also. And a couple of zillions years Sun gets extinguished like a candle light.

Sad.

But only averagely-angry.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Ive checked if my YT channel is still around (you never know what might happen) and if this video has received any comments.

Of course not, as the band which developed this gem is an oddity even for Polish artistic standards. Blues/folk comedy group (?!) producing songs which are suspiciously high-profile, on both musical and text levels. Especially text one; metaphors, puns, popcultural references understood by few. And - in my opinion, deliberately - introduced words like "pożółkłych", "niewdzięcznych", "spiętrzył" which few people here ever use, but sound great in warm songwritingship environment.

The story about this vid is also special, because Ive heard it in radio as a teenager and had a chance to record it. Then I forgot about it, found the tape as a mature and wrote to one of the band's members if it is available on any official album. Apparently it was not, so he just sent me mp3 via Gmail. I guess these were early 2000s.

This is the only available to public recording of the song. It's so obscure that even psychofans of the band (which is obscure, but not THAT obscure) havent found their way to comment the song. Funny thing is, this is the best song the band ever produced.

And it's about the railway station in northeastern Poland depicted on the photo. Yup.

Boy, I love obscure gems. And keeping them semi-treasured.
[/quote]