DeProgramming Terrorists

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Prideth
Patron

DeProgramming Terrorists

Post by Prideth »

Now this is an interesting idea..

Click for Story

and a very good one. Most of these people were brainwashed into believing extreamist ideals in the first place, so using the same techniques to bring them back to reality is a good move. I hope our government goes ahead with this.

If enough "terrorists" can be brought back, then perhaps in time we can counter any extremist beliefs before they have a chance to spread.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Yes it looks interesting, but I'm not sure we should be too optimistic about it. We have tried before to do this, and we got like on in 100 turned. So to build up a strikeplan based on the fact that we just have to turn the leader.... True, that would be great, but if he is not the 100th guy, then we got a problem....

But again sadly I think this is one of the better bids on how to counter terrorism.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Prideth
Patron

Post by Prideth »

Leaders must be the main targets, then they can convince those that follow them that violence isn't the answer.

I'm sure this won't work on its own, but even if it only makes a small dent, and/or stops one attack, then it has to be worth it.
[size=75][color=darkblue]Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Never let it fade away
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Save it for a rainy day[/color][/size]
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

So very true. That is why I said:
But again sadly I think this is one of the better bids on how to counter terrorism.
I think the main problem is finding the leaders, as terrorists have a nasty habit of working in cells that know nothing of the parralel cells or the cells two steps above them.
It's a nasty habit, and very hard to counter.

Have you seen the movie The siege? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133952/
It explains very well how these things work and how hard it is to catch the leaders...
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
mistergreen77
Tycoon

Post by mistergreen77 »

Terrorists are in revolt against existing social order - to some extent they have valid motives. This does not mean I condone terrorism, but I can understand why some people feel there is no way to change it through peaceful means. Deprogramming terrorist leaders (if we can pin them down) might alleviate some of the problem - but as long as the underlying reasons for their revolt are not addressed our society will keep producing terrorists. I am not saying we should give in to their demands - I actually think they are mistaken about the real reasons for their fight and what they are demanding is not what they want. Opressive governments that do not allow individual freedoms and keep the majority of their population poor and uneducated I think is the real problem we must address if we are to cut of the source of terrorism at its root.
[size=84][color=green]“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler.”[/color] - Einstein

[color=green]“There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.”[/color] - Nietzsche[/size]

:twisted: [url=http://forum.connect-webdesign.dk/viewtopic.php?p=5411#5411]Society of Sinister Minds.[/url]
Prideth
Patron

Post by Prideth »

What about home grown terrorists though?

As an example only. I'm not saying any of the below has ever happened.

A group of young Australian born Muslims attend a lecture by a visiting Muslim leader from the Middle East, and he tells them about the negative impact the west has had on the Muslim people of that area. He paticularly singles out Australia for blame, and tells these young impressionable people that if they want to call themselves true Muslims they must put the religion and others of the faith first.

The young people listen to this, and begin to believe it. They then begin to rebel against Australia and its culture because they see it as anti Muslim and they start to distance themselves from being Australian and identify themselves as whatever area their parents and/or grandparents came from. They are encouraged in this by anti-Australian friends, family and religious leaders who fill their heads with romantic stories about the "home" country and religious reasons why Australian culture is wrong.

Eventually they get to the stage where they see the nation of their birth as the enemy of Islam, and their fellow Australians as infidels. Eventually the rebellion evolves into violence. So there we have them, fully fledged terrorists killing fellow Australians, identifying themselves with a part of the world most of them have never set foot in, and fully convinced they are fighting gods fight.

How do we stop that?
[size=75][color=darkblue]Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Never let it fade away
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Save it for a rainy day[/color][/size]
SGSW
Warhero
Location: On my way to hell or heaven whatever seems best at the moment

Post by SGSW »

You're right Prideth, London bombists were home grown terrorists from middle-class that were probably brainwashed into this. However it's extremely difficult to prevent this and except putting expelling (or invite them to leave) extremist leaders & preachers and put under surveillance for a while every youngster (or person) that goes to an islamic country, I don't really know how you can stop this.

And these methods must be checked closely to make sure no one takes advantage of it
http://www.vinylplastik.com/ - Wall Graphic Interiors - decoration - ships worldwide, AFAIK and it's run by someone I know.

htpp://www.lulu.com/ - Self-Publishing site

If you want a place to stay in Lisbon, staying for more than 3 days (excluding the yoth hostel) and are afraid to leave the girls with me try this http://lisbonsteps.blogspot.com/
mistergreen77
Tycoon

Post by mistergreen77 »

They too are in revolt against the social order, generally I would say it is the excesses of consumerism that they are at war against. The blatantly hedonistic and consumerist cuture of western style democracies. Sometimes it makes me sick and when I think about what it would take to change I am able to empathise with their frustration. That does not mean I agree with them, terrorism is not the answer but what is? People need to think more for themselves and less of themselves. Democracy needs to be more inclusive and less partisan. Advertising could be made less invasive. Homes for example should be a sanctuary away from the hustle of modernity, instead we have advertising on every media.

I think that Islam holds an attraction for anti-consumerists and best represents their feelings for the western world - so they feel it is a common cause.
[size=84][color=green]“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler.”[/color] - Einstein

[color=green]“There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.”[/color] - Nietzsche[/size]

:twisted: [url=http://forum.connect-webdesign.dk/viewtopic.php?p=5411#5411]Society of Sinister Minds.[/url]