Speak it loud. Do you play old games anymore?

This forum is for discussing Old Games. (Bubble Bobble, Command & Conquer Etc.). Yes, nostalgia's back.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Speak it loud. Do you play old games anymore?

Post by eMTe »

And I mean I really do even if I'm not interested in abandonware movement as much as in the past (because I dont download oldies on massive scale like 8 years ago), but I do have some downloads and ocasionally return to them. King's Bounty for example. Always wanted to beat it on hard level and played yesterday for 4 hours. Lethal Weapon - great platformer from Ocean - 3 hours on Sunday, 3 today. Never beat it, except maybe first mission, but I might be wrong. Freddy Pharkas - got stuck as I did back then, but nevertheless I try it again and again once every week. Chaos Engine - replaying it for 1000th time and I cant get rid of feeling that it's one of the few computer games being something greater than only computer game. SuperFrog - in my Amiga folder for years and cant start beating these last damn levels, but I keep passwords written somewhere. Arabian Nights - great Amiga platformer - in folder, tried it again a couple of weeks ago however this one is a bit too hard to beat without using WinUAE's savestate option. Just like Fire and Ice - never removed and still waiting for beating. Tens more of adventures (Rex Nebular, Rise of the Dragon), platformers (PP Hammer, Toki), rpgs (Lands of Lore, Knights of Legend, Amberstar, Magic Candle) never beaten, even if almost finished, but still waiting in dark corners of my hd space.

You game or you done with it for good?
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

There are still some classics I return to from time to time. For example "Mad TV" and "UFO: Enemy Unknown". I completed both of them several times, but sometimes I'm in the mood to play them again.

But I don't download old games I haven't played before anymore...
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Pretty much only quality RPGs, which I happen to love to death. ;) It's been a while since I ran through Pool of Radiance etc. Gold Box series for the megalinnionth time, but meanwhile I finally got Treasures of the Savage Frontier, which is the only SSI Gold Box game I haven't played. Of course I need to go through Gateway ttSF again so I can transfer my characters.
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

Yes, I like to revisit the lucas arts and seirra adventure games from time to time, a year isn't complete unless I have played through some of them all at least once :p

As for downloading new old games, I still do this, just not on the scale that I used to...although saying that I did just finish downloading all the pc games from OGC...so maybe it is still on a large scale :p
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well - like PA, I download freeware games now in such a scale that I dont find time to miss or go searching for old games. I have a stash of classics that I return to from time to time. The most revisited one being Syndicate.

I of course also play the old games that are made freeware in here when they are suggested.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Usul
German Football Champion 2007/2008

Post by Usul »

Hmmm...twice a year I play a classic from that list. It's the games I grew up with.

Realms of Arkania I-III
Lands of Lore
Police Quest II
Day of the Tentacle
Monkey Island II
Anstoss II Gold
Phantasmagoria
Gabriel Knight II - The Beast Within

I don't try new games though and haven't downloaded a game for quite some years.

As CT will suspend all downloads and offers only packages for each platform, I still search for the adventure "Der Schatz am Silbersee". It's the game I registered for back in '03 and I can't find it anywhere. Has one of you people this game in his/her collection?
Pager

Post by Pager »

I sure do!

I am always on the prowl for older computers so I can really get everything out of playing older games...right now I have a Compaq laptop running DOS 6.22 (built from a DOS 6.2 boot disk and the upgrade pack for 6.22)...I still have (almost) every PC game I have ever bought...and every now and then I play them all no matter how terrible they are...I currently have The Dig, Full Throttle, Crusader: No Remorse and Ripper installed on it...

However, over the years I have lent games to people and haven't gotten them back, and lately I have been wanting to replay Phantasmagoria (and play the sequel for possibly the first time)...as awful as every one thinks that game is.

For the past little while I have been looking for a copy of Harvester as I have never played it...
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Don't dis Phantasmagoria. Technical implementation aside, it's not that bad. The sequel is major sewage though.
SFault
Tycoon

Post by SFault »

Just realized that I don't play old games any more. I play only Battle for Wesnoth and Combat Arms EU. Well occasionally some console games with friends. But I can't even remember the last time I played something older.
Segmentation fault
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I sometimes find myself looking over some of the older titles in my collection, and want to play them over. I usually end up playing them for a little while and then remembering why I stopped playing them.

What do you think is an old game now? Games made in the last decade (so 1½ month ago...) or last millenium?

I still play games from the late-90's sometimes, but anything older than that is getting very far apart.

--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

These days it looks like I don't have time to play at all... except for Bejeweled Blitz (for those who don't know, the game lasts exactly 1 minute...)

The last "old game" I played, was a bit of Boppin'.

Technically not "old games", but I got a lot of games from past years in queue, for example Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory... =)
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

The latest old(er) game I dug into was The Guild 2. Had some nice fetures, but not sure if I like it better than the first.

--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Ken's Labyrinth tomorrow. Making screenies, so a bit of playing too.

As for true play I finally grabbed Syberia and got a litle stuck. Im not that impressed. The settings and overall vision are great, but gameplay and puzzles not that much.
Pager

Post by Pager »

Scythe wrote:Don't dis Phantasmagoria. Technical implementation aside, it's not that bad. The sequel is major sewage though.
Sorry, I didn't want to come across as dis'ing Phantasmagoria, but I thought I was going to get lynched on OG when I mentioned that it was one of my fav adventure games of all time...

I had a huge craving to play Nocturne the other day as well...
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

That's what you get for running with the elitist crowd. :p I enjoyed Phantasmagoria, even after playing through it 3 times. I wonder if I can get it to run on this machine.

The oldest game I recently played was Princess Maker 2. Monotony and chibi cuteness aside, that game is still fun.
Pager

Post by Pager »

You should be able to get it going...if not, dosbox may also be an option...I leant out my copy back in 1998, and I never got it back, so I might need to start looking in the used game places around here or hitting up eBay for a copy...

I was thinking of how neat it might be to make a retro-remake of Phantasmagoria with AGS someday...
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: Speak it loud. Do you play old games anymore?

Post by eMTe »

I have progressed in Lost in Time, Rise of the Dragon, Simon the Sorcerer and Universe.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Completed Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World about two weeks ago. It's not flawless and sometimes outright sadistic, but it was a great experience.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

eMTe wrote:I have progressed in Lost in Time, Rise of the Dragon, Simon the Sorcerer and Universe.
...and in Igor. Do you remember Igor?
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I just now realized that Igor - Objective How-is-anyone-supposed-to-remember is by Pendulo Studios, better known for Runaway series. Strangely, Igor is still probably their best adventure game.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!