Woodlands

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Woodlands

Post by Pater Alf »

"In a distant corner of the world, where no man has ever gone, lies an old and great forest. It is a magical place tended to by nirils;.the forest spirits. The nirils are ruled by Nergal, the most beautiful and powerful of the spirits. It is because of Nergal that the woodlands are free of the nasty creatures that roam the rest of the world. It is because of Nergal the creatures of the forest can lead their lives in peace, unknowing and happy. Until now that is.

Because Nergal has suddenly disappeared. And without the blessed powers of the spirit, evil is seeping into the forest. The inhabitants are starting to argue, plot against eachother and steal. And a man has appeared in the woodlands. A short man with nasty creatures in tow. And he is threatening the woodlanders demanding gold and other valuables in return for his protection.

You are Tom, a solitary creature who lives in the outskirts of the forest. When the mysterious man comes to demand payment, Tom refuses and the man responds by burning Tom's house to the ground. Furious Tom swears to rid the woodlands of the intruder and get his revenge." (taken from the official homepage)

Game is being developed by FovArt Productions (Mattias Jeppsson), the maker of "Frank the Farmhand". Looking at the screenshots and the demo, you can clearly see that he really improved his skills (regarding graphics, animations and design) a lot. I hope it will be the same for story, puzzles and dialogues and looking at the demo I'm quite optimistic about that.
I'm really looking forward to see the whole game, which will probably be released in the first quarter of 2008.

Developer: FovArt Productions (Mattias Jeppsson)

Homepage (and download for demo): http://www.fovmester.se/Woodlands/wood.htm

More infos about the game and the development progress: http://new.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=21862.0

Release date: First quarter of 2008
Attachments
Woodlands2.png
Woodlands2.png (239.31 KiB) Viewed 5843 times
Woodlands1.png
Woodlands1.png (237.38 KiB) Viewed 5843 times
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Spotted this game months ago, didnt want to create the topic since I keep eye on all ags projects anyway... Imagine zillions of threads promoting amateur adventure games, 99% of which will be total *censored* when finished. Most likely. :D

Frank the Farmhand 2 is one of the most underrated AGS game Ive played ever (one of, not the most). This one looks even more interesting. Especially first screenshot which looks like scanned watercolour painting...
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

eMTe wrote:Spotted this game months ago, didnt want to create the topic since I keep eye on all ags projects anyway... Imagine zillions of threads promoting amateur adventure games, 99% of which will be total *censored* when finished. Most likely. :D
You are right: Most of the AGS games that are announced will never be finished or won't have the quality we are looking for.
That's why I only open threads for AGS games that are nearly finished and which offer some stuff to show (like screenshots, soundtrack or demos). I think it's possible to tell which games will be worth playing this way.
eMTe wrote:Frank the Farmhand 2 is one of the most underrated AGS game Ive played ever (one of, not the most). This one looks even more interesting. Especially first screenshot which looks like scanned watercolour painting...
So it might be the time to look at "Frank the Farmhand" again? If I remember right, we only validated part 1 so far. Might be senseless just to host part two, but maybe we should look at both parts as a whole game? But it would be better to discuss this in the GH forum...
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

He might want to update the demo a bit. It says "coming spring 2006". :P

Looks like development is slowly coming to an end. Game is updated regularly (last - several weeks ago), so let's hope it will be released this year.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I was too optimistic it seems, like some evil power in me forced me to be so.

Nothing happens in Woodlands.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: Woodlands

Post by eMTe »

I wonder if Mattias would continue to develop games if he was encouraged to do so, even if it was one e-mail.