History and cookies get deleted automatically.

Had your computer crash on you, or a website shows wrong, or your printer went dead on you? Come on in...

Moderator: Crew

Master_X
Prospect

History and cookies get deleted automatically.

Post by Master_X »

I'm trying some .sol editing on the school PC but every time the PC is restarted the history, cookies anything related to internet and installations is removed/replaced with the old versions. Any way to stop/bypass it?
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Re: History and cookies get deleted automatically.

Post by Pater Alf »

Probably not. It's the same in the school where I work. Students can't change any settings or installations. There's either a security hardware or software that prevents them from doing so. To bypass it, you would have to know the password to deactivate it or you would have to crack it (which I wouldn't recommend).
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Master_X
Prospect

Post by Master_X »

Pater Alf wrote:Probably not. It's the same in the school where I work. Students can't change any settings or installations. There's either a security hardware or software that prevents them from doing so. To bypass it, you would have to know the password to deactivate it or you would have to crack it (which I wouldn't recommend).
I didn't say I can't change installations. I can but not permanently. Only until the day ends, of which I asked my teacher and he said that the PC was programmed to reset to the default settings and installations every day when it is first started. History is deleted every time the browser is closed. .sols are deleted at the end of the day.
But I know someone that can access the "System" account, which I neither know what it is neither how he got there. All I know is he used CMD.
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

Is it possibly getting re-imaged every night? Not an implausible concept. No way to get around that unless you take down the host...

Which platform are you using, Windows? Which browser? IE 8 has a setting that you can set to remove all cookies and history when you close. Do you have a storage drive that you retain your data? You could always script it to copy the history and everything to your storage drive in order to retain all that jazz should you need it in the future.

I can't really speak for system account without knowing which platform you are running. Generally if someone can access the system account, usually means they either have a password or an ACL to allow them to access it using their user id.
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Master_X
Prospect

Post by Master_X »

Pager wrote:Is it possibly getting re-imaged every night? Not an implausible concept. No way to get around that unless you take down the host...

Which platform are you using, Windows? Which browser? IE 8 has a setting that you can set to remove all cookies and history when you close. Do you have a storage drive that you retain your data? You could always script it to copy the history and everything to your storage drive in order to retain all that jazz should you need it in the future.

I can't really speak for system account without knowing which platform you are running. Generally if someone can access the system account, usually means they either have a password or an ACL to allow them to access it using their user id.
I didn't understand most of it.
Uses Windows XP and it uses some kind of client not related to XP.
No matter what browser it deletes cookies, temp internet files, history. Basically everything. I checked the browser settings, it says to keep cookies forever and to keep history for 30 days.
Every student has access to 100MB for himself and it's the only data that doesn't get reset.
I don't know anything about scripting and programming...
???
Dafuq man?
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Your user's preferences for all programs, including browser history is typically stored in the folder C:\Document and Settings\(your username).

Most schools have it so the user's accounts are stored on a server (a different computer), and not on the local computer. It then synchronizes the user folder on the local computer with the one on the server when you log on and off.

If for some reasons the connection to the server is slow or not available, it may fail at saving the user files (including browser history), and you may loose your browser history for the next time you log on.

I can't guarantee that's the reason, but i imagine it can be.

Here you can see you're logging in to your user on the domain server "FEUPSIG".

In order to not loose your browser history, you can get a browser which doesn't store it in C:\Document and Settings\(your username)
Here are some examples of browsers that do that:
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/g ... e_portable
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/opera_portable

If you unpack it in C:\program Files\ They should keep browser history over restart because it's not stored in your user folder, but in the folder you run it from. That however also means that you can only access it from that computer.
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

Not sure if this guy is ever coming back...but, here we go...
Basically if it is not just a speed issue, it sounds like your school is resetting the operating system back to a default version of itself nightly. This is essentially re-imaging. Think of it as a snapshot in time of the entire computer and contents that are basically being restored on a nightly basis and hence wiping out everything that anyone has done throughout the day. With cloud computing, and virtual systems this has become ridiculously easy.

An ACL stands for Access Control List. Essentially it determines who has what access to what. Meaning, someone who's account belongs to a system ACL, would have higher authority and rights on their computer than the average Joe who has only a simple user ACL.

Here's something you can try if you are tired of losing your history...When you have the internet open and you would like to retain your history, before you close your web browser, open a Windows Explorer (or My Computer) window (easiest way to do this is hit WindowsKey + E). In the top menu, select tools, Folder Options. In Folder Options window, select the View Tab. Under Advanced settings, turn on the option for "Show Hidden Files and Folders", hit apply. This will allow you to view the files that Microsoft does not want people to see.

Within the same windows explorer window go to the following directory c:\documents and settings\<your user id>\Local Settings
In this directory, copy the entire History folder to your personal 100Mb drive.

The next time you log into the computer, just do the reverse of this, copy the History Folder from you personal drive to c:\documents and settings\<your user id>\Local Settings.

If you want to retain cookies, copy your Temporary Internet Files directory as well.
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I used to run a bunch of portable programs over a USB stick when i was on school computers, including a webbrowser. Was very practical, since i could also keep my documents on there, and i didn't have to bother with our server folder, which i couldn't access from my home pc.