The Humble Bundle

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Re: The Humble Bundle

Post by Chroelle »

Indeed EXCELLENT music, and it does look intriguing.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Humble Indie Bundle V is over. They sold nearly 600 000 bundles and made more than 5 million dollars. Quite impressing!
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

The I-already-lost-count-th Humble Bundle 6 is up! Yet again, a really solid line-up: Rochard, Shatter, SPAZ, Torchlight, Vessel and Dustforce. Torchlight is probably the best known of the bunch, but I can also tell the soundtracks for Shatter and Dustforce are just amazing (and the games should be as well!).

As usual, the most awaited thing is how much Notch (of Minecraft fame) donates this time around.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

I will buy it mainly for "Torchlight". Haven't heard of the other games, but so far the "Humble Indie Bundle" never disappointed me when it comes to the quality of the sold games.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Space Pirates and Zombies should be pretty good.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

How much have Notch donated so far?
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

He gave $10 000 at the very last moment of the bundle.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

The latest bundle is 100% charity case, The Humble THQ Bundle. Includes the solid line-up from THQ: Saints Row The Third, Darksiders, Metro 2033, Red Faction and complete Company of Heroes 1 series. The charities are American Red Cross, Child's Play and THQ, which recently defaulted on some debts covenants and is in dire need of financial support....

Anyway, Ars Technica was quick to say that this bundle threatens to ruin the brand of Humble Bundle. I kinda agree, because THQ is quite a departure from indie games... and the two traditions Humble Bundle has tried to keep: cross-platform support and lack of DRM.

Also, the bundle is a bit lackluster in that it can be seen as a marketing push that uses the back catalog to promote the newer editions of the games. Saints Row was recently released as "The Full Package" with all the DLC, which are missing here. Darksiders has a released sequel and both Metro 2033 and Company of Heroes have sequels coming out soon. Also, notably missing from the bundle are Dawn of War games, STALKER and Homefront.

If Humble Bundle sticks to its tradition to adding games later in the bundle, I'm quite sure they will be Nexuiz, Titan Quest and maybe even Supreme Commander.

The only good news is that the Humble Indie Bundle 7 is according to the trailer coming in a couple of weeks time.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Damned! I bought this before I saw that the games are not DRM-free and that you need Steam to download/play them. The lost money doesn't hurt me, but I'm a little bit disapointed and sad, because I thought DRM-free direct downloads are one of Humble Stores core principles. :Wallbang:

Will we have a Christmas avatar contest this year? In that case I will give away my steam codes as a prize.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

David Rosen, who is somewhat associated with the Humble Bundles, shares his view on the matter.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Titan Quest was added to the bundle some time ago, however it's missing its expansion pack Immortal Throne that many say is almost mandatory to have, not least because of gameplay fixes it brings.

Another new addition is the first WH40K: Dawn of War game, but again, it's almost impossible to find this base game alone anywhere anymore because it's almost always bundled with some of the expansions. Also, DoW 1's are apparently pretty similar to CoH games, it was only at DoW2 where the focus was shifted to squad based RTS.

Still over a day to go for this Bundle and it might even break the 5M barrier and could challenge last Indie Bundle's record-breaking 5,1M!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Zyx wrote:Still over a day to go for this Bundle and it might even break the 5M barrier and could challenge last Indie Bundle's record-breaking 5,1M!
No they are not going to break that record. The paid average is much too low (about $5.70 only). And they won't sell another 100 000 units in just one day.

I still wonder if doing this THQ bundle really was a clever move. Sure it was their best-sold bundle so far, but also the one with the lowest paid average and the one that heavenly damaged their reputation ath their fanbase (for not being DRM-free and not being available for Mac and Linux).
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Pater Alf wrote:the one that heavenly damaged their reputation ath their fanbase (for not being DRM-free and not being available for Mac and Linux).
Sure doesn't seem like so. While you're right that this won't beat the last Indie Bundle, the THQ bundle has been the most successful single-publisher bundle.

On the contrary, one could view that this bundle proved that Mac & Linux and DRM-free don't really matter that much and that a bunch of dated AAA-titles will always outsell even the freshest Indie titles.... :(
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the people that bought the THQ bundle are not the same ones that usually buy the Indie bundles. That's why I said that that they damaged their reputation at their fanbase. Now there are many new people that bought the THQ bundle and that obviously don't care about DRM-free and cross-platform. Only time will show if the Humble store guys can balance the expectations of both groups.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Oh ye of little faith: $5,097,458.29.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Right on the heels of the previous bundle, comes the old and original, The Humble Indie Bundle 7!

The line-up is not bad: Snapshot, The Binding of Isaac (+ Wrath of the Lamb), Closure, Indie Game: The Movie, Shank 2 and Dungeon Defenders (+ DLC), Legend of Grimrock.

I was this close to getting Indie Game: The Movie just yesterday so .. I guess it's a good thing I didn't. =)
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Line-up is ok. But wasn't "The Binding of Isaac" in one of the Humble Indie Bundles before? "Legend of Grimrock" and "Snapshot" are great games, but I already own them. So for me it's only "Shank 2", "Closure" and "Dungeon Defenders" at the moment. Hope they will add some nice bonus content later on.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Pater Alf wrote:Hope they will add some nice bonus content later on.
Your wish is granted. The new additions to the bundle are Offspring Fling, Cave Story+ and Edmund McMillen's The Basement Collection. The last one is collection of Flash games and stuff from before Super Meat Boy. Cave Story+ was already in Humble Bundle 4.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Still not the greatest bundle for me. As you said "Cave Story+" was in one of the other bundles before. And "The Basement Collection" is a collection of games that you can also get for free on various sites. So "Offspring Fling" is the only bonus game that really adds something new.

Think I will pay some bucks to get the four games I don't already own, but will not pay much more than the average.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

The Humble Weekly Sale is back. Pay what you want for Alan Wake + Alan Wake's American Nightmare + Soundtrack:

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly