Registry Tips and Tricks

Had your computer crash on you, or a website shows wrong, or your printer went dead on you? Come on in...

Moderator: Crew

mistergreen77
Tycoon

Registry Tips and Tricks

Post by mistergreen77 »

User Shell Folders on WinXP

Did you ever want to change the location of your user folders. For example, I have windows installed on a smaller hard drive and wanted to change the location of 'my documents' folder to my larger drive i use for storage. To achieve this you will need to modify the registry.

DISCLAIMER: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. There is no guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk.

The location of the registry settings is:
HKCU->Software->Microsoft->Windows->Current Version->Explorer->User Shell Folders

Notice the use of environment variables. %USERPROFILE% expands to 'c:\Documents and Settings\username'.

You can replace %USERPROFILE% with a real path. You will need to restart the shell for changes to take effect. You can do this by ending the process explorer.exe with task manager or just log out.
[size=84][color=green]“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler.”[/color] - Einstein

[color=green]“There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.”[/color] - Nietzsche[/size]

:twisted: [url=http://forum.connect-webdesign.dk/viewtopic.php?p=5411#5411]Society of Sinister Minds.[/url]