The little Inn by the wayside

Here you can talk about anything (that isn't related to the other forums).

Moderator: Crew

Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Re: The little Inn by the wayside

Post by Zyx »

Pater Alf wrote:But still I think it is a great achievement to finish such a run/walk. How many people would even walk 42 km when there are 30 degrees and the sun is burning and they drank some wine?
Well, there was free beer at the finish line... :wink:
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Happy Birthday Zyx. :)

Great reading about the Medoc Marathon. I actually read that it was taking place and wondered if you participated.

Running has been set on hold for me. During my vacation last week I wanted to start running again, but my throat has been soar for a while, and now it really got me down, as I am home ill today with an aching body.

My internet has been acting up these last days, so if I dont stop by daily then that is why.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Happy Birthday, Zyx!!!

Hope you have a nice day with a lot of beloved people that celebrate you!

:Birthday: :Cheers: :cake:
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

Happy Really Belated Birthday Zyx!!
:beersong:

I went today to trade in some Xbox games for Fallout New Vegas, but while I was there I got to talking to the guy working there about how much we both hated Final Fantasy XIII. When I first asked him if he had ever played it, his answer was like, "Ya, I played it for a bit, it was okay, but I didn't finish it." To which I repsonded that it was by far the worst game I have ever played, and it erupted from there! :lol:
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Yay!

I changed the registration form for the forum a bit. I actually even took out the CAPTCHA thing, but replaced with something so simple and stupid that I think and hope that's the end of bots on this forum. Or it fails miserably.

Maybe the new fancy bots are programmed to get around custom mandatory fields. Let's hope not.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Is it the "How do you feel about Broccoli"-maneuvre?
Always loved that one. :)

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

It's more the "What colour has an orange?"-maneuvre... ;)

But what the hell is the broccoli-maneuvre? I've never heard of that.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

The other option for the question was
You're in a desert, walking along in the sand, when all of a sudden you look down and see a tortoise. It's crawling toward you. You reach down and you flip the tortoise over on its back The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that?
but we don't have a way to measure the user's capillary dilation so I had to scrap that.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

LOL!!!

The broccoli maneuvre is an extra question what is you oppinion of broccoli, and you have to fill out the field but bots cant figure that out as it diverts from the original form that they learned. Or sometimes you have to NOT fill out the form, and bots will do it, as they have now learned to fill in all fields on the form... :)
The question in itself is actually rather unimportant. Some site used the broccoli question perhaps OG...?

--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Talk about a bad day yesterday. Our car had to go to the shop so Tanja went and delivered that as I had to open at work (7am). I had to help some people coming in from the outside at my workplace, and volunteered as another guy was sick. I also had to do all his work before this and as such came in a little late for the appointment with the people. The guy in charge tore me a new one for being late and talked to me like I was 12 years old - I am nice guy but I was ready to tear him on right back, but decided to cool it and be the bigger person. My boss was there and was aware of why I was late, and as such had no beef with my reasons. I helped them out big time, saving their behinds more than once, and ended up being more of a help than I was ever supposed to be. This actually made the guy apologize for his behaviour - respect to him for being big enoug to do so.

Tanja called me later, and when I was justa bout to tell her how crappy my day had been she told me that her grandfather died (after years of misery, and a few months of cancer-illness), and that she had went to the doctor, and gotten the diagnose she also had last pregnancy - a loose pelvis or something it would propably translate to. I packed up my bad day, and comforted her when she came home with Anna. We were just talking about how it was quite a lot at one time we had to deal with, when Anna came over and said she didn't feel good. I barely reached the toilet with her, as she threw up. She later threw up all over the living room floor, and later in her bed, and all over her floor, where I just removed the carpet... (talk about thinking ahead).
She was asleep around 01.30 and then I could lie back and try to get some sleep. She woke up a few more times, and I was pretty wasted when the alarm went off. I had to open again (7am), and at 11am I went home to take care of Anna as Tanja had to go to work. Unfortunately the car we got from the garage had emptied its battery, so we had to find another solution for her to go to work...

What a crappy 24 hours!

Anna is feeling better though, so hopefully we are past the puking.

--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I'm beginning to think you're cursed.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Yep, I think the same. Any old women or gypsies in the neighbourhood, you had an argument with? :stir:
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

There was this one weird old woman who lived in a cottage in the woods, that asked for my help, but I kicked her cane away, and showed her on the ground to better get at her wallet. Her cats didn't like that... But that can't be it.

The fun (read: weird) part is that we have gotten to a point where life throws shit at us, and we stand there taking it, and look at eachother and go... Its a good thing that it all hit in one go, otherwise more days would be crap...
I think we grew a lot with all the hardship. :)

I am still thinking about this place every day, and also keep thinking about all the balls I threw up in the air, and never really looked to see if they came down again.
- Comic.
- Checking licenses
- Validating games
- Adding to the site
- stuff like that.

Oh, and there is propably a half-assed attempt at a x-mas avatar contest coming up, but I am thinking that perhaps I shouldn't be the one to screw it up this year. :) Anyone up for it?

Oh and I found a new profile for eMTe on FB, but I am starting to think that he doesn't want to be found.... Sadly...:(

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Talking about lost members: I haven't senn Drasir-Vel around for quite a time... :(
Usul
German Football Champion 2007/2008

Post by Usul »

Hello mates, it's been a while since I came here the last time. I had quite a busy year and to be honest my interest for abandonware/freeware has come to a standstill. But today, I just had the idea, "why don't you pop in and say hello to all the people you haven't written to for months". Pater and Chroelle are still there of course, what about Tank, Scythe and Maz, Dizi, eMTe and all the others?

Well, how the site is going? Still growing, still updating?
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

I'm not doing much validating at the moment, because i kinda got hooked on Minecraft. But i do log in to see new posts every day or two.
Hi Usul :)
Tank
[insert custom title here]

Post by Tank »

Hello everybody. Hi Usul, welcome back.

I hope nobody noticed, but well... I was away for quite some time. Basically, I have the same situation as Usul. My gaming activities have also come to a total halt, except for a few PS3 games. Plus I'm trying to cut a bit back at Internet Forums at working on getting a real life. ;)

So. Cheers! *orders a round of beer for everybody here*
German Moderator and Game Hunter Trainee.
Enjoy your stay.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

:Cheers:

Thank you for the beer! Nice to see you around again, Usul, Tank (and nice to see you're still there, Drasir-Vel)!

As always the site is doing well, but could use much more man-power to get all the work done. Right now there are just Chroelle, Drasir-Vel and myself and from time to time Pager, Railwaymodeller (I hope I didn't forget anyone) who do all the submitting, validating and adding games and of course the incredible Zyx who does all the coding. Most of us have a real life as well and so we can't spend as much time on the site as we want.

Maz left the site to have more time for his family (he married and a second child was born), Scythe left because he isn't interested in freeware games anymore and eMTe left for personal reason (we still hope he will come back one day). Dizi drops by every few months and so do some more of the old members. And of course there are some developers (like jayenkay) who present there new games here.

All in all it could be worse, but I wish there would be some more regular members to keep the community going...
Usul

Post by Usul »

Tank wrote:Hello everybody. Hi Usul, welcome back.

I hope nobody noticed, but well... I was away for quite some time. Basically, I have the same situation as Usul. My gaming activities have also come to a total halt, except for a few PS3 games. Plus I'm trying to cut a bit back at Internet Forums at working on getting a real life. ;)

So. Cheers! *orders a round of beer for everybody here*
Hi Tank, nice to meet you again. So you finally got yourself a PS3? ^^In my sig, you'll find my PSN ID. Give me yours or contact me via PM or the Playstation Network, maybe we'll do some online gaming. ;)
Usul

Post by Usul »

Pater Alf wrote::Cheers:

Thank you for the beer! Nice to see you around again, Usul, Tank (and nice to see you're still there, Drasir-Vel)!

As always the site is doing well, but could use much more man-power to get all the work done. Right now there are just Chroelle, Drasir-Vel and myself and from time to time Pager, Railwaymodeller (I hope I didn't forget anyone) who do all the submitting, validating and adding games and of course the incredible Zyx who does all the coding. Most of us have a real life as well and so we can't spend as much time on the site as we want.

Maz left the site to have more time for his family (he married and a second child was born), Scythe left because he isn't interested in freeware games anymore and eMTe left for personal reason (we still hope he will come back one day). Dizi drops by every few months and so do some more of the old members. And of course there are some developers (like jayenkay) who present there new games here.

All in all it could be worse, but I wish there would be some more regular members to keep the community going...
all in all, it's amazing, that the site still exists and develops. It's one thing to have an idea, enthusiasm and another thingy to keep it alive for almost five years while growing and getting better (I read the Apogee-News on the main site, grats!). You may not be a horde of people but you're dedicated! What a pity, our little betting game went to a break. What you'd say to make it resurrect? ^^

Hi to Drasir as well who seems to have joined after my break. :Clap: