The most glorious RPGs ever

This forum is for discussing Old Games. (Bubble Bobble, Command & Conquer Etc.). Yes, nostalgia's back.
icarus

The most glorious RPGs ever

Post by icarus »

I believe one of the most glorious RPGs (and game) ever made is Ultima 7. I love all ultima games! But the 7 (1-the black gate - 2-Serpent island) are the best RPGs ever. Today, the only games closer are Baldur's gate 1 & 2 and Planescape torment. But those are relativelly newer ones. Ultima 7 made history adding personality to all the NPCs and the group companions you have. Adding morale and reaction from all the world based on the actions you made and decisions you take. I can write a book talking about Ultima... but that is not the purpouse of this thread. I write about Ultima, and want to hear about your opinions on Ultima or other RPG games you love!!!!
Heimnar
Prospect

Post by Heimnar »

For me (aprart from Ultima series - which is great) another one that needs to be crowned is Might&Magic. The amount of space you have there, the multitude of options and stuff, total non-linearity (almost to the point of not having an exact plot - which is good for me) is just overwhelming.
Podpisano - kot BEHEMOT
http://zxplanet.emuunlim.com/ - ZX SPECTRUM place for fanatics :welcome:
Usul
German Football Champion 2007/2008

Post by Usul »

I grew up with 'Das schwarze Auge' which is a very popular Pen & Paper RPG in Germany. In 1992 Attic made a computer game of these series, that has been translated into English and is known as "Realms of Arkania" - The Blade of Destiny.

My first steps into this genre were someway difficult, but after some hours spent playing, I became completely addicted. I finished the game only two years after.
The 'Realms of Arkania' then became a trilogy and I completed the whole adventure with the same party that I first imported to the second part ('Startrail') and then to the third (and unfortunately last) part. 'Shadows over Riva'
I don't know if this series is known outside Germany, tell me ;)

There has been some new RPGs that are outstanding.
I'd consider 'KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC as my all-time-favourite.
very close follow THE ELDER SCROLLS 4 - OBLIVION and
'VtM: BLOODLINES'.
icarus

Post by icarus »

Yes... Realms of arkania is known even here, on south america. I've played both 1 and 2. Shadows over Riva is a to-do (wll, maybe a "to-buy")
[b]And what if time doesn’t exist? And what if reality doesn’t exist? And what if reason doesn’t exist? Dreams, essence, beings, feelings, Life, would they all exist?. A final count, a count to our wake, a count to zero, a lottery of lives in which nobody wins and nobody looses, but everybody wants to play, why?[/b]
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Apart from the whole "Ultima" and "Might & Magic"-Series, I likes "Wizardy 7" very much.
Varnus
Tourist

Post by Varnus »

Heimnar wrote:For me (aprart from Ultima series - which is great) another one that needs to be crowned is Might&Magic. The amount of space you have there, the multitude of options and stuff, total non-linearity (almost to the point of not having an exact plot - which is good for me) is just overwhelming.
:cheekkiss:

Apart from Might&Magic, Baldur's gate (Go for the eyes boo, go for the eyes!), and the Elder scrolls series, I'd like to add Final fantasy VI, possibly VII and VIII as well ^_^

But Might and magic IV&V, VI and VII have always been, and shall always be my treasures, as they were the first RPG's I ever played. And yes, I know just about everything there is to know about them :roll:

Strangely, Ultima didnt captivate- then again, I might have started it a bit late (after I finished Morrowind). Might give it a spin again later, though.
OSH
Patron

Post by OSH »

I think, "Ambermoon" from Thalion (Amiga) is one of the best RPGs made ever!!! I've played this game for 1 year!!
Pozdrawiam serdecznie, OSH.
Amiga1200 E/BOX Tower, Apollo 1240/25 MHz 34 MB RAM, HDD 4,3 GB; LG10x30x40, A1200 E1230/40 18 MB RAM, CD-32+SX-1 10 MB RAM, A500, A600, C64,. C-64G C64+1541-II
icarus

Post by icarus »

Final Fantasy series are good... but too far from ultima (7) or baldurs gate freestyle and that not counting the montruosity of the worlds from those games!... but I like FF a lot!
[b]And what if time doesn’t exist? And what if reality doesn’t exist? And what if reason doesn’t exist? Dreams, essence, beings, feelings, Life, would they all exist?. A final count, a count to our wake, a count to zero, a lottery of lives in which nobody wins and nobody looses, but everybody wants to play, why?[/b]
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

chrono trigger was an amazing RPG. I didn't get the chance to play it till I was 18 and on an emulator. I found this game amazing, while I was at uni it was my game of choice till I compleated it. Normally I would have a lot of games on the go at the same time, but when I started playing this there was no time for others, just this one.
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Have you seen all 10 endings in Chrono, then? :)
Prophet

Post by Prophet »

Tales of Phantasia is the greatest game i ever have had played, there is a anime about this game in here http://www.fantasyanime.com/legacy/top_anime-main.htm all 4 episodes and those are full lenght.

I also like Chrono Trigger, actually i love it.
Bahamut Lagoon was great too, but not so funny than Chrono or ToP
[img]http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9868/sig4mh.png[/img]
Usul

Post by Usul »

Anyone played Planescape Torment? Imho the RPG wit the most convincing storyline.
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

I don't think I've completed Planescape: Torment more than, say... 5 times? :) Pretty impressive considering how linear it actually is, but I love reliving some of the moments that game offers.

Betrayal at Krondor had the better storyline though, IMHO.
Usul

Post by Usul »

Yep, the first time I played through PT, I didn't know that Intelligence and Wisdom were vital in order to get all the information about the Nameless One's past and his companions..

so directly afterwards I completed it a second time, and though it was the second run I retrieved more and more about the storyline. Just tell me, how many endings there were? I remember of just 3 different endings at the very end.
jcsychristina
Tourist

Post by jcsychristina »

FINAL FANTASY 7?

i think ive completed it way too many times 2 count

it was the best , in my opinion though...
ive not tried Ultima, Might & Magic, Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter etc etc :D
icarus

Post by icarus »

about final fantasy... I believe the 6 (3 on the states) is the best... I only played 1-7... son my opinion is not very relevant...
I love Planescape Tormet and Baldurs Gate... the storyline is great!
But I must Say, Ultima 7 is the Best of the Best on RPG... at least for me
SFault
Tycoon

Post by SFault »

My favorite computer RPG is definetily ADOM. For those who don't know it, it's a Rogue-like game with lots of little surprises. I think I like it because it's so versatile and after a little practise easy to play. Also it's very addictive. Although I haven't played them much, I also like Japanese RPG:s a lot. Usually pretty graphics, some humor, lots of fighting and collecting XP, that's quite fun in computer games.

I have played Ultima IV with C64, but at that time I didn't know English too well, so I didn't really get it. Another Ultima I have played is Ultima 8 (I think), but I didn't like it at all, because the controls and the spell system were horrible. Also I like it more when I can design my own character.
Segmentation fault
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

I think you might like Zangband SF :) It's excellent game in my opinion. mm.. You're not the only user who has said ADOM is good. It's sad Thomas Biskup wished we would not host ADOM on here :|
keshymarkyz
Probably a spambot

Re:

Post by keshymarkyz »

icarus wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:34 about final fantasy... I believe the 6 (3 on the states) is the best... I only played 1-7... son my opinion is not very relevant...
I love Planescape Tormet and Baldurs Gate... the storyline is great!
But I must Say, Ultima 7 is the Best of the Best on RPG... at least for me
This was his own kind because that opinion was not so relevant sir :soap: