The unofficial "Ideas Galore" thread

Want to participate in game development? Need help in your game project? Open a new thread where you introduce yourself in here.

Moderator: Game Hunters

jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

The unofficial "Ideas Galore" thread

Post by jayenkai »

As some of you will know, I like to make games.. Lots and lots and lots of games.

Each and every one is a quickly made random game of insanity, and over the past few years I think I've probably overdone it a bit!
My imagination's not as good as it used to be..

When I start a project things usually come together pretty well, but the starting blocks are getting harder to come by.

So, I thought I'd post a thread here, and let everyone chip in.

If you have any ideas for games, stick 'em in here, and I'll see if I can rumble something up.

You should all have some kind of idea of the types of games I'm after.. My site's called "A Game A Week".
"The Happy Lemon's Tea Party MMORPG", or "Super Amazing Hyper Tax Fighter 3010 - Extreme Edition" are probably not games that I could manage to rumble together within the space of a week!
Simpler ideas have a greater chance of success!!

|Note to Mods| Couldn't find a "Games that haven't even been made yet" section... Feel free to move it into a more suited section if you wish!! |Note to Mods|
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

Oh dang...I was looking forward to playing Super Amazing Hyper Tax Fighter 3010 - Extreme Edition next week... :lol:

Ok jayenkai, if anything comes into my head, I'll let you know...
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Some sort of racing game with abilities to shoot at the opponents and upgrade your car is always fun I think.

I will move this topic to the freeware developer help forum after posting this, but I will leave a shadow so you can find it.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Ta for the topic shift ;)

Um, yeah, a car shooty thing might be fun to try out.. Not sure how well I could achieve it, but.. worth a try!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Please remember that I have seen your other games and that I am not expecting something graphically on the level with GTA 3 or anything (or even GTA1 :)) I am simply out for gameplay - which is what you do best. :)

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

I don't know if you make remakes, but I wonder why no one ever created a remake of my favourite C64 game Space Taxi. I'd really like to see that...
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

A sort of remake of Paperboy with weapons and upgrades would be a very leet thing to make...
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Yeah!!! Some kind of Paberboy Mafia. That would be cool! 8)
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I was thinking poodles and chainsaws myself. :lol: Must have been playing too much Seal Hunter...
Pager

Post by Pager »

I don't know if anyone remembers a game for Atari 7800 called Food Fight...that was a pretty awesome game...you walked around picking up food, like peas and pies and other things and you threw them at people while dodging other food being thrown...

I was think about something like that, but maybe if you want another twist you could have the player be the lunch lady, fighting a mob of unruly teenagers, and the stage bosses could be teachers, the principal, school superintendents and the health inspectors.
Pager

Post by Pager »

Or how about some sort of either side scrolling, or top down alien game, where you control the mothership and it is your purpose to destroy an entire city.

So you get a super laser that can take down buildings, but needs to charge, so you just can't fire it off willy-nilly, and you can abduct people on the ground to make the charge go faster, or to power up the weapon by abducting tanks or what not...and the humans can release jets that fly by, so you can release your own set of small ships that can fly out and attack the jets...in the same respect the humans can have SAM things setup to attack your little ships, so you need to abduct those and gain power...and so on...
Pager

Post by Pager »

Around where I grew up there were a lot of places where people would have huge fields of land where they would park cars and let them fall apart naturally...then the grass would grow around the car parts, so it's not uncommon to walk through a field and find a transmission.

so, maybe if you have a lawnmower type game where the point of the game is you need to build a vehicle in a certain amount of time, but need to mow these huge fields to find to car parts...

So, like someone is getting married, and you need to find tires, and maybe an engine, so you're given a time limit, to mow this lawn to find the car parts you need...
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

And now we lost Pager to the dark side....

--Mark Twain
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

I quite like the alien shooty abduction thing.. Not sure about Lawn Mower Car Man!
Some good ideas so far, though.. keep 'em coming!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

How about a game where you can put ideas together and make a game? I know that sounds weird, but it is an idea similar to "make-your-own-fairytale-books" where you can mix things from different fairytales and that defines how your fairytale is built. Like:

Lead-figure: You could have various to choose from, girl, boy, ball, car, pacman, etc.
Mission: Destroy, rescue, jump over (the gap), avoid being hit
Target: A ball, a person, a car, something
Goal: Survive, all is eleminated, your leadfigure is painted blue...I dont know.

Simply something that changes the idea behind the game everytime with certain parameters.
You could choose to choose yourself or let the computer choose, and thus having to react fast as the mission might be to attack the ball, or avoid the ball. Is this at all clear??? I think it would be funny, and it might inspire more games as you play.

--Mark Twain
Pager

Post by Pager »

Oh sweet, like a choose your own adventure type-game...
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

As easy as Choose Your Own Adventure might sound, they usually grow stupidly large whenever I try!

Assume you give the player a 5 step game..
They have only 5 choices.
Each choice is between 2 elements..
You'd need to code 2*2*2*2*2 different elements..
That's 32..
Now, give the player a decent lengthy game, and a few extra choices, so it's not just a or b, and you'll see how alarmingly quickly those things bulk up.
It'd be something fun.
But not within the space of a week!!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

How about a game where a cow has to fight his way out of a slaughterhouse. I think that could be fun with lots of splatter and gore... :cow:
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Not entirely sure how that would work..
But what the hey, I drew a cow. (slightly modelled on your little cow doohickey)

If the slaughterhouse thing doesn't work out, I can reuse it with the UFO/abduction idea!
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I'd love to see a random maze kinda game. With some kind of interface for moving around in the mazes. With or without anything to spice it up further.