I made a little game-OST quiz

Had your computer crash on you, or a website shows wrong, or your printer went dead on you? Come on in...

Moderator: Crew

Maturin
Patron

I made a little game-OST quiz

Post by Maturin »

Hey there.

I made a little game-soundtrack quiz, like www.setto.de , I wrote it in html with a little javascript, no problem so far. Nevertheless I have a few questions:

Right now I'm using a 3rd party flash-player for the mp3s but so far I'm only publishing this quiz in private since I'm not sure if using that player is legal. So do you know where I can get a simple flash-player? I don't want to embed the sound directly since firefox for example needs quicktime in order to have a control panel. And putting these songs up as <bgsound>... imagining that is just horrible... :)

My second question concerns a free hosting service. It should support files up to 1.5MB and it would be nice if it also gave me a nice url although that's not necessary.

I hope you're able to help me with these things, if yes, I'll of course provide the link in our forum here.
Lost in Space... jetzt, gleich, haben will, NEEEEEED

... jetzt hab ichs und es suckt mich an.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Nice quiz, I can't believe I actually recognized six.

I've seen that flash-based mp3 player elsewhere, but I can't find it's homepage. There are other players available, I've seen these two quite often: JW FLV player and musicplayer. They're both free to use. Of course, the one you're using might be too, but because I don't know where it's from I don't know.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Maturin
Patron

Post by Maturin »

The thing about setto is, there wasn't any new quiz for more than a year. He promised an update and a new quiz in november but I don't think there's going to be any, no update ever since. We all usually like these quizzes so I decided trying to create a few myself. As soon as I get everything running I'm planning the creation of other quizzes, I have a few cool ones in mind and I found out it's a lot of fun creating one. :)

One more thing: What can I do to prevent people from just simply reading the solutions in the source code?

And thank you very much for your recommendations Zyx, I just checked out that music-player, it looks perfectly suited for my needs. :)
Lost in Space... jetzt, gleich, haben will, NEEEEEED

... jetzt hab ichs und es suckt mich an.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

About solutions in source code. If you're doing it fully in javascript, there isn't much you can do. Even if you write the answers to a file and read from there at run-time, the user can still read that file himself. You can only make it difficult enough that very few bother, but not impossible.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!