Until I'm Gone

This is where you can discuss the freeware games that are on our site or that should be.

Moderator: Game Hunters

Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Until I'm Gone

Post by Pater Alf »

All informations taken from "Faraway Studios":

"Until I’m Gone is a “2.5D” 3rd person point-and-click adventure game with horror elements and a psychological subtext.

The story is set in a picturesque mountain village around Christmas Eve. The main actor, Nathan is looking forward to Christmas with his family in the warmth of domesticity. Suddenly this idyllic situation is upset by his lady-friend. She demands that he comes to Pitfall Mountain without any discussion, or she will tell Nathan's wife the truth about him and her. So, Nathan is forced to travel to Pitfall Mountain. Next day he finally arrives and after a short time finds his lady-friend in the hotel room, where he spends about one hour. After this conversation, he is upset and wants to get home. But, his car won't start and a heavy blizzard is approaching. Then, he rents a hotel room for one night..."

FAQ:
"FAQ: Is it really free?
Yes, it is. The game is being developed as freeware, and anyone who wants to can download this game from the Net. In the game itself, there won't be any promotion spots.

FAQ: When is it planned for release?
“Until I’m Gone” has had a few release times, but considering the extent of the project and the burden upon our team members who are making this game for free and in their free time, the changes in release date are understandable. Our hopefully final release date is WINTER 2006."

Story sounds great (reminded me of "Shining") and graphics really look professional and well-made. I´m really looking forward to this one...

BTW: There will be english voice acting and the game will be subtitled in several languages: Czech, English, French, German, Russian, Hungarian, Slovak, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Swedish, Greek, Polish, and Dutch.

Link: http://www.farawaystudios.com/news.php?lang=en
Attachments
Until I´m gone02.jpg
Until I´m gone02.jpg (34.93 KiB) Viewed 13537 times
Until I´m gone01.jpg
Until I´m gone01.jpg (10.3 KiB) Viewed 13537 times
Last edited by Pater Alf on Mon May 05, 2008 22:44, edited 2 times in total.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I wrote them about the games status, as it didn't say anything about hosting... I also offered my services as they do not have a Danish Translation. So far I am making headway with 5 days a stranger, so I might as well engage myself in the next project.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well just a simple update. Be prepared to look for my name in the credits for this game. I am officially the Danish translator of the game. Also we are allowed to host it when it airs! So far this game seems amazing! I have no doubt it will be perfect for this site.

Any one else interested in joining the translations squad? The job seems bearable!

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

It seems they already have a german translator...

But it´s great they´ll let us host the game when it comes out. If it´s as good as it looks, it will be fun to play for sure.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
dolce24

Post by dolce24 »

Chroelle: Nice to see you are on the project with danish subs, and translations. As a huge fan of adventure games in 3rd person view, and games like the Gabriel Knight series writtten by Jane Jensen, i think this game is going to be cool.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well you say THE project. Actually it should be THE projectS. :D
I am really getting somewhere with the projects, and it is kind of fun knowing that you will be able to see your own name in the credits of a game. (Until Im Gone)....<---The game my name will be in, not that I think it would be fun to see my name until Im gone... :rolleyes:

And on another note: Welcome Dolce24!

--Mark Twain
dolce24

Post by dolce24 »

:) Good point Chroelle, and thanks for nice a welcome to the forum
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

Welcome on board Dolce!

And just in case you happend to like the idea of having your name in credits list... Why wouldn't you do a thread about yourself in here:
http://curlysworldoffreeware.com/viewforum.php?f=34
And offer your services ? :)
madsolsen
Prospect

Post by madsolsen »

Welcome dolce24.. and nice to see another "aalborggenser" inhere :D
for people outside the danish borders: an aalborggenser is someone comming from the city aalborg in Denmark ;)
dolce24

Post by dolce24 »

madolsen...:)
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Bad news:

There is some delay in the project and so there won´t be a release in winter 2006/2007 (well, no big surprise as we have spring 2007 now). The new release date is set to be the third or fourth quarter of 2007. So it seems we have to wait for some more months :(.

But here are some new screenshots:
Attachments
Until I´m gone05.jpg
Until I´m gone05.jpg (15.88 KiB) Viewed 13461 times
Until I´m gone04.jpg
Until I´m gone04.jpg (38.87 KiB) Viewed 13461 times
Until I´m gone03.jpg
Until I´m gone03.jpg (23.41 KiB) Viewed 13461 times
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I was kind of waiting for that one, as I work as a translator on the project and I was promised chapter two within a few weeks, but I got nothing really... There is of course nothing wrong with delays, and especially for a game that has so much promise as Until Im Gone.

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Did you get some more chapters to translate them by now? When I look at there homepage, I can see that they still plan to release the game at the end of 2007 (so there is not much time left). And there is even a sample of your translation on their download page. So if they haven´t sent you anything by now, you should maybe contact them and ask if they forgot to sent you the new files...
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I am in contact with the project responsible more than once a month, and he is always the initiater so I doubt he would forget me. I however also doubt it will be done by the end of 2007. I think you should look into 2008 before you see this done. I was told that there was unfortunate circumstances that slowed the production close to a halt, but he was very explicit in telling me that it was not a halt, but just going more slow. He will never give up until it is released (or until I'm gone :lol:)

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Great to hear that. And to be honest, I don´t expect the game to be published in 2007 any more. But when I look at the screenshots and the details I have access to, it´s the game I´m really looking forward to. Hope to see it in 2008!!!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I got positive news from Faraway Studios. They have gotten a good deal longer during the last couple of weeks. They got hold of a new coder, and their audio-guuyy got a partner (in more than one sense) as he had to go away to get married, then someone filled in for him. Removing the standstill for months that was otherwise feared.

Quoting the newssection on Faraway studios site.
The 1st chapter (as we've announced some 4 weeks ago) is almost complete - the graphics, animations, the program, sounds, music, the foreign languages translations even the voice acting (however, we've still got that lead actress problem)
The 2nd chapter - 4 people had been working on this one, but the *creative workforce* has diminished since then as one of the programmers has been sent to work on his own chapter 5 and the other one to work on global programming issues. The chapter is currently in its alpha stage.
The 3rd chapter is (according to its programmer) to be finished any moment now and soon the beta (not the alpha!) version will be available.
The 4th chapter has gone through some problems and delays of its progress, due to some *personal issues*. Nevertheless, there is only little left to its final beta (it probably won't tell you much but there are only 3 scenes left to programm)
The 5th chapter should be in alpha stage within a week, thanks to its new programmer.
The 6th chapter is probably the least complete of all and most of the unfinished graphics of the project (there isn't much left however - see the last post for details) remains in this chapter.
The 7th chapter is arguably the most advanced of all (with the exception of the first one), oddly enough, we've started working on it quite recently. Thanks to its (new) skilled programmer it is slowly approaching its *pre-final* status, where there's nothing else left but the voice-acting, 1 cut scene, the translations and some obligatory bug fixes. On the other hand, you can never tell how many bugs will show up and how much time we'll have to spend fixing them.
The 8th chapter is the second least complete (right after the 6th), but unlike the 6th most of its graphics are already done.

I hope this summary gave you a better picture of the progress of the project and its status quo. We can now only hope that we'll be able to finish it on time.

Roman (Of Faraway studios) also asked me for a list of 5 Danish game sites that have forums. I told him I found it hard to tell him which gamesites to tell him about as most Danish web-developers make their sites in Englsih to get a bigger public. So if you finally do find a big gamesite in Danish with a forum it is more than likely that it is populated by people age 11-16 (no offense to the agegroup) and I am not sure that is what he wants. Any one has any good ideas for such sites? Scythe? Guy?
He said it would be perfect if they were oriented towards adventuregames.
I of course told him about a Freeware game site with a Danish owner that was planning on becoming the biggest freewaresite owned by a Dane. :D
I also pointed to it. Guess which site :D
Last edited by Chroelle on Thu Oct 25, 2007 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

--Mark Twain
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

I don't go to many game forums, and certainly no Danish ones, so no help from me... but...

Geek Culture
GameSection.dk

are ones I at least know. Not sure if there are forums...
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

RElease date has been reset to 2008. So lets see how this one works out...:D

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Well, it's 2009 and so I think we know how it worked out... ;)

In the latest chapter of their development diary they write a bit more about the problems with the project. Main problem is that they had 8 programmers by now and every time a programmer left, the new one started to program from the scratch (because he couldn't deal with the old code).

So now they decided that they are unwilling to go on like this and they will pay 2000$ to a programmer who is willing to complete the game.

I hope this will turn out good, but I have to admit that I'm a bit sceptical. It's kind of dangerous when a whole team works for free and a single one gets paid (no matter how important his/her position is). But on the other hand I can understand why the project leader made the decision (he's paying with his own money) and I'm looking forward to see the finished game (in 2010?).
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well Roman Navratil wrote me once more in late December, telling me that they were going to make steps to getting the game completed. Things were still happening though, so we should not fear that they had stalled.

I am however becoming afraid that I had no more text sent to me for a while for translation, and when suddenly he uses 200 on a programmer I fear the term Freeware wont be quite as possible when completed.

--Mark Twain