Ranks

Here you can ask here for help on things concerning the forums or make suggestions on how to improve things.

Moderator: Crew

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Scythe already mentioned this one to me. I will try and remember to edit it this time around....
*Curly goes editing...
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Parvini
Tycoon

Post by Parvini »

Chroelle - I like the basic idea here but I feel there are some things being lost in translation so to speak. Pitkin highlighted some of these.

Have you considered the ranking system used in Europa 1400: The Guild? This has one of the best progressions I've ever seen in a medieval game.

Take a look at the "Political Tree" here:

http://europa1400.german-games.net/political_tree.html

In addition to these positions are also the following "Titles" that signify social status:

Citizen
Patrician
Nobleman
Baron
Count

I think it'd be cool if some of these were utilized in place of some of the others. There is a rather unsavoury "slavery" theme running through several of them and not only is this a little untasteful but - to my mind at least puts us in the wrong era. If "Medieval" is to be the theme we shouldn't be using 15th and 17th Century concepts.
"The mind is its own place, and in itself/ Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n" - John Milton (Paradise Lost, Book I, lines 254-55)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Oh, but medieval is not the theme. LAte 19th and start 20th century. Industrialization was to be the theme, but it got lost a bit underway, I realise.
If we need a new rankladder, feel free to start one up. I will do the editing if we agree on the new system... I still think we should build up from scratch to divine at some point.

--Mark Twain
Parvini
Tycoon

Post by Parvini »

If we are to do a medieval one (or even if we don't) then I have an idea based on Europa 1400… I don’t know if it is possible but how about at certain key stages people CHOOSE their path and title. You can then only progress to further titles down your chosen path – this will give a real sense of progression and allow posters to forge their own path through the CWF social ranks! It’ll also give a real sense of excitement to “levelling up”.

0-10 – Beggar

10-50 – Villein

50-100 – Peasant

100-250 – Citizen

250-500 – Town Servant (career path 1)/ Nightwatchman (career path 2)/ Spy (career path 3)

500-750 – Town Clerk (c.p 1)/ Guardsmen (c.p 2)/ Informer (c.p 3)

750-1000 – Council Assistant (c.p 1)/ Fencing Master (c.p 2)/ Council Informer (c.p 3)

1000-1500 – Nobleman (everyone has to be this – a right earnt after “serving office” ;)

1500-2000 – Treasurer/ Judge/ Inquisitor/ Prefect (you choose your path)

2000-2500 – Mayor (available to Treasurer or Judge)/ Bishop (available to Inquisitor or Prefect)

2500-3000 – Grand Inquisator (only available to Bishop)/ Colonel (available to both)/ Privy Councillor (only available to Mayor)

3000-3500 – Archbishop (only available to Grand Inquisitor)/ Court Councillor (only available to Colonel or Privy Councillor)

3500-4000 – Sovereign

4000-5000 – Minor Deity

etc…
"The mind is its own place, and in itself/ Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n" - John Milton (Paradise Lost, Book I, lines 254-55)
Usul
German Football Champion 2007/2008

Post by Usul »

I agree with Parvini. The medieval rank system suits fine, maybe we could fill it up a little ;) I particularly like the option to 'choose' a path.
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

What on Earth is a "villein"? :p

Scythe - happy to just be a "mod." ;)
Parvini
Tycoon

Post by Parvini »

Scythe - A villein was the lowest of the low in the old feudal systems of Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villein

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/ency ... 15753.html

I was thinking that many might not know what that is and so you might think of replacing it with "Slave" or perhaps "minion".
Eric
Patron

Post by Eric »

I personally don't understand the 'Medieval' (or even a "late 19th and start 20th century" concept) theme/ranking/style at all.

If CWF was a fan site for Medieval 2 or the Stronghold series of games I could appreciate it, but for a forum with a focus on free computer games (and a pretty broad range of other topics as well), it doesn't seem to fit all that well.

<shrug>

Just my opinion. And we all know what that's worth..... ;)
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Parvini wrote:Scythe - A villein was the lowest of the low in the old feudal systems of Europe.
8) Awesome. New word for me to fling at the suckers badmouthing me.
Dot O'Rock
Patron

Post by Dot O'Rock »

Since CWF is about comp games, why not have ranks according?

Like...
0-10 - Derek Smart
10-200 Jeff Minter
etc.
etc.
4000 - Ron Gilbert
5000 - Sid Meier

:D
If you don't make a friend now,
one might make you -
so learn
the gentle art of making enemies.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Sid Meier ahead of Ron Gilbert? Never!!! :evil:

Or you put them in this order only to raise controversies? :HM:

But this
Dot O'Rock wrote:Since CWF is about comp games, why not have ranks according?
sounds good. What about the following ranks?

spammer
elder spammer
lamer
gamer
elder gamer and so on...
God of Freeware
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Eric
Patron

Post by Eric »

That's a great idea Dot O'Rock! :) - it would certainly create some debate as to the names included and the order - although perhaps the debate would rage longer than this site may exist.... ;)

And I certainly don't wish to be called a "Derek Smart". That's just plain nasty...

*shudder*

But I'd tend to agree with eMTe with a more direct game related theme - but would avoid the words lamer or spammer - I think they have negative conotations - perhaps Noob would be the lesser rank and Game God (God of Games?) would be the highest.

Other suggested ranks could be (in no particular order);

Ace ("Ace? You were never called 'Ace'. 'Acehole' perhaps" - Lister to Rimmer - Red Dwarf)

Camper (the FPS tactic of camping)

Newbie (different enough from Noob?)

Old Time Gamer (Similar to eMTe's Elder Gamer?)

Classic Gamer (Parvini - lol ;))

Twitch Gamer

Carpal Tunnel Gamer (just a thought ;))
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I am listening (Well technically I am reading - but I guess you catch my drift.)

(Being that I am an admin and Eric is "only" a member, does my oppinion count more, like is my oppinion worth a dollar fifty???) :rolleyes: :razz:

--Mark Twain
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

may I be the elder spammer, I think I have this spamming thing covered really well...some even think I write meaningful things from time to time:p

But I like eMTe and Erics idea for titles
Eric
Patron

Post by Eric »

Of course your opinion counts more. It's your place and you ultimately decide on the purpose, atmosphere and style of the forums...

You must have your own idea as to what you want for CWF - you just need to make sure that efforts are directed towards achieving that.

But please, don't say "the members tell us what they want and how they want it" - that doesn't make sense and only makes for a forum which is lots of things but really is nothing that makes sense. The usual phrase is "Jack of trades, Master of none". Firm leadership and a direction a site must have. We have seen what happens without it....

I can only express my ideas on what I would like (and some ideas I had for OG before I left) to see - but as I have said, it's all only my 2 cents.... ;)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I see your point Eric, and refrase to: YOU GUYS HAVE A LOT TO SAY IN THIS FASE. I am trying to make a forum that people would stay in, and that is why I need a lot of oppinions on things. There is no reason in making a forum that I ALONE find great, since it wouldn't be long before I would feel lonely :D

That is why I ask so many questions, and the reason that I am easy to influence :)
I saw your point about the ranks and decided that maybe we should go along another path. Don't worry I have turned down suggestions earlier, and will keep to, if I don't find them one bit good...

Hence the expresion: I am listening = You got my attention, now convince me :D

I do own the place and the place wouldn't be here without me, but please read my above conclusion on me making a place I alone find great... :D
My oppinion is off course worth more to some, but not really to me. I do not believe in an all-powerful admin.
But great feedback Eric. You got me thinking.

--Mark Twain
Parvini
Tycoon

Post by Parvini »

I really like the idea of the computer games theme but isn't this forum about more than just games? Also - it seems to me that there aren't many things you can do... but... is there any way to incorporate the "path choosing" idea to give us that "leveling up thrill"? If there is I thought maybe people could choose one of 3 paths - games, movies and music.

I'll suggest a structure:

0-10 – Uninitiated

10-50 – Newb

50-100 – Regular in training

100-250 – Regular

250-500 – Gaming fan(career path 1)/ Film fan (career path 2)/ Music fan (career path 3)

500-750 – Games tester(c.p 1)/ Video shop owner (c.p 2)/ Rock Groupie (c.p 3)

750-1000 – Games journalist(c.p 1)/ Movie extra (c.p 2)/ Music journalist (c.p 3)

1000-1500 – Junior Games Programmer(c.p 1)/ Film critic (c.p 2)/ One Hit Wonder (c.p 3)

1500-2000 – Lead Games Designer(c.p 1)/ Actor (c.p 2)/ One Hit Wonder (c.p 3)

2000-2500 – Chief of Development Studio(c.p 1)/ Director (c.p 2)/ Member of a Rock Band (c.p 3)

2500-3000 – President of Publishing House(c.p 1)/ Producer (c.p 2)/ Lead Singer (c.p 3)

3000-3500 – Chief executive of Games Corporation(c.p 1)/ Executive Producer (c.p 2)/ Rock Icon (c.p 3)

3500-4000 – Chairman of Games Corporation(c.p 1)/ Studio Boss (c.p 2)/ Record Label Owner (c.p 3)

4000-5000 – God of Games(c.p 1)/ Head of the Academy of Motion Pictures (c.p 2)/ Rock Legend (c.p 3)

5000 + - Minor Diety (etc.)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I have been thinking in those terms too Parv. But more generally incorporated with the forum. It is a crazy idea, and I would love to see if we can do it. What if....

Career paths are there, but depend on which subforum you use the most....?

Meaning that if a member has the majority of his posts in the marketplace, he will be some sort of trader or commoner, while posts in the council chambers could make him a politician, teacher whatever...
And in the symposium a philosopher, scientist whatever.
Homepages could make you follow a designing path.
Nostalgia is of course the old-timer path.
Freeware forum is a gaming path.

We could of course divide these into the categories they are in. So that gaming path was general for gaming forums, and the symposium and council chambers followed an intellectual path.

The biggest problem in all this is...CAN IT BE DONE? I am not sure it can be done fast, but I am sure that we can propably figure it out if we had a year :D

The Ranks could then end up being gathered again in a deity zone, where people could maybe be divided up once more regarding which god they are. God of games, God of fun (Pan?), God of intellect... something like this. And we could maybe even do it so that the one member with the most points/posts in a particular path would be the god, and the others be his minions... :)

--Mark Twain
Eric
Patron

Post by Eric »

Parvini wrote:I really like the idea of the computer games theme but isn't this forum about more than just games?
Yes - but it's primary function is about computer games - and personally I feel any ranking system should be a reflection of that primary purpose.

The idea of the "Path choosing" is a fantastic idea - brilliant list there Parv! :) - but I have to express my doubts;

1. Does it really suit the goal / objective / purpose of the site/forum?
2. It seems a little complex for what is, at the the end of the day, nothing more than a ranking system.
3. I'm the sort of person who posts everywhere. So potentially, with three different posts, I could have 3 different ranks....?

It's getting messy I think. Lets not forget the bigger picture and thus get bogged down in the details.
mariesa
Warhero

Post by mariesa »

I'm no gamer but member of the forum....
I like to become a shop keeper but I don't wanna be a gaming fan :D :D :D

I know my opinion do not count :D :D :D
-> It's a hundred and six miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.