Chat for better communication.

Here you can ask here for help on things concerning the forums or make suggestions on how to improve things.

Moderator: Crew

Master_X
Prospect

Chat for better communication.

Post by Master_X »

I would really like to have a chat here to know about other ppl and to hear their gaming experiences. As I mentioned it in my last post the member count would go up. A forum without chat for me is like a conversation without using your mouth... I hope it's possible :)
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Re: Chat for better communication.

Post by Drasir-Vel »

That could be cool. I like the idea. I guess the difference between a regular forum topic and a chat is that you wouldn't need to refresh the page every few seconds to check for new posts. Though i'm not sure if it would make a difference in how many users would come. Also, i wouldn't be the one who would have to implement it, so i don't know. But there is a mod here that looks like it could do it: http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/m ... w_version/
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Chat isnt bad thing per se. The problem is that with activity limited to few posts a day this forum doesnt need the chat badly.

Somebody correct me: we had shoutbox in the past, right?
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

eMTe wrote:Somebody correct me: we had shoutbox in the past, right?
Maybe a long, long time ago.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

I can't remember that we ever had a shoutbox. :wondering:
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Master_X
Prospect

Post by Master_X »

The site has few posts a day because it has only 800 members...
Another forum has about 73k members with a chat and is getting at least 25 per day. Even though most users (85%+) arent active at all.
EDIT: Changed member count. The forum im talking about has 52k posts and is 2yo. IIRC your site is 4yo? and has 40k posts.
Master_X
Prospect

Post by Master_X »

Here's also a preview of it:
Forum History (using forum time offset)
Yearly Summary New Topics New Posts New Members Most Online
2012 173 910 566 67
April 2012 71 415 179 56
March 2012 102 495 387 67
P.S.: There is only 2 months of data because the site changed.
Can't submit spaces -.-
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

CAn I ask which site? One of our "problems" getting new members is also that we do not advertise heavily. And I am pretty sure we had a shoutbox at some point, and we took it down because it meant that alot of issues with games were dealt with there and thus the data vanished when the shoutbox convo ended. Also it meant that most people stopped by here and used the shoutbox and then left leaving no hard evidence of them being here. (I might be confusing this with some other forum ..(OG)...)
I have to say that I like the commitment shown from an early start Master_X, but I am not sure how I feel about your suggestion. Glad you submitted it though, cause we only move forward if we challenge the status quo. :) (Thats a quote and signature right there for anyone who wants to use it!)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Master_X
Prospect

Post by Master_X »

If you say advertising do you mean like google? The site I'm talking about only advertises with google and it gets a lot of members. The Site is http://www.flashcheats.org/forum/index.php
Master_X
Prospect

Post by Master_X »

Maybe the problem is that freeware is less popular than hacking :) just suggesting...
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Yeah...We dont advertise with anything but Project wonderful. Google adverts gets you alot further for somewhat more money. So far most of our traffic is coming from extremely relevant seraches, which always delights me, as I also have a blog where I get some of my traffic from irrelevant searches but the pics-searchterms hit my site.

But I have to say that I considered advertising through Google lately, but I am not sure I am all that disappointed with our traffic, considering that we seem to get some buzz on relevant sites.
I cannot seem to find a non-forum site on that link - isnt there any?
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Master_X
Prospect

Post by Master_X »

Nope it's a plain hacking forum with a chat and spamming board (that's what lol's me the most)
Master_X
Prospect

Post by Master_X »

In fact there WAS a non-forum site but it disappeared after the change. They are now "debating " will it return or not.