A contest?

Here you can ask here for help on things concerning the forums or make suggestions on how to improve things.

Moderator: Crew

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

A contest?

Post by Chroelle »

I copied this text from the Inn, as I think we could perhaps discuss this somewhere dedicated to it, and perhaps other people have an opinion as well.

I wonder if we should set up some form of contest soon, as we have talked about for the last 5 years or so - where some developer can make a game with some productplacement in it, and win a competition that grants him...something. And how do we get the word out there? If we could simply get some backup from places like AGS, GameMaker, different blogs where developers hang out - you know them, etc...

The winner gets: Any ideas anyone
Runners-up get: Any ideas anyone
How to spread the word: Anyone
Where do we get som form of prize?
Should we talk to someone that could then gain something from advertising with us during the competition or...?
Is anyone up for this idea?
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: A contest?

Post by eMTe »

Money is the only prize that would caught the interest of amateur and freeware developers, while free advertisement would probably caught the interest of small commercial flash games developers. Im not sure we have the name big enough, though.

How to spread? As you said. Yoyo Games, AGS, indiegames etc. But that would mean the contest is serious, like the winner gets 100 euro or so. I dont think we (you) will be up for that.

Hmm...
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

I'm not sure here as well. Would be nice to have an own contest, but are we really big enough and ready for that? Even if we get some entries, who will judge them? You and Drasir-Vel and me? We don't even get along wit the normal "work" we have here every day.

Maybe we should celebrate our birthday in another way. How about a birthday month where we add a game to the site every day? Might stay unrecognised, but it would be nice to have a month like that. And I think it would be doable.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

While contests are fun and all, I agree with Pater Alf that we might not be ready for them. While it is great to grow and get new traffic, it comes with a cost.... as bandwidth. which in turn can start to cost us more money soon if we continue growing quickly. It's quite important that we don't just become a download site but a community, so it would be nice to get more "quality" traffic.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Good points there everyone. I also thought that it had to be a money-prize or at least a hardware prize, but was actually thinking wether we could get the prize from somewhere else... Like a contest co-sponsor...

PA, I agree with you about making a birthday month, but I am unsure wether we can keep it up - But please do not see this as a sign of not wanting to, because I am GAME! But we need to know that we have some guys backing this up. Could we call everyone in for a month like that? We have around 10-11 games ready for upload already - so we just need to get validation of 20 or so more games done. Lots of game only lack a vote, or 5 minutes of gametime to decide, so if we got some people backing this up we could definitely get this done.

So what do the rest of you say? If at least 3 more sign up then every person wont have to be involved in every game, so the job gets even easier to do... If we start off very soon, then there might be a chance that I can participate all the time needed (due-date coming up).

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

I don't think it would be such a big problem. We should get the 30 games ready and start the months when we just have to add them. Might not be in 2 weeks or a month, but we could present it as a belated birthday present.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Great idea. That would also let me get ready and done with a few things before devoting a lot of time to this...:)

--Mark Twain