Bug List

Here you can ask here for help on things concerning the forums or make suggestions on how to improve things.

Moderator: Crew

Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

There was some odd going on yesterday with the database. I'm trying to figure out how to handle database connection error in a way that doesn't cause the page to look like that.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Anye news on my suggestions of fixing links? If you give me the go, then I will try to look into it, but if you would rather not risk having to clean up after me, then let me know as well.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Chroelle wrote:Anye news on my suggestions of fixing links? If you give me the go, then I will try to look into it, but if you would rather not risk having to clean up after me, then let me know as well.
Knock yourself out with fixing the links. I have fixed most of the broken links just by adding a redirect in the .htaccess file (for example, site_main.php redirects to www.curlysworldoffreeware.com).
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

1. Go to beta.curlysworldoffreeware.com
2. You should notice that you're not logged in. If you by some magic are, no worries.
3. Go to beta.curlysworldoffreeware.com/users/piggyback
* It should tell you that it could log you in and provide you with a link back to the front page of the site.
4a. If you see the link, click it. You should now notice that you're in fact logged in. Congratulations, I did not sacrifice a chicken and a lemon for nothing.
4b. Instead of a link, you get some kind of a message. It might or might not involve mythical creatures eating cookies.
* Logout from the forums and login with the check box firmly clicked and try again. If it doesn't work, let me know what was the error message.
5. Go away from beta.curlysworldoffreeware.com and forget that it exists.

I got to 4b because i didn't get a link. I got the message: "You're not logged in or you have auto-login disabled."
Then i manually went back to http://beta.curlysworldoffreeware.com/ and i wasn't logged in there

Then i logged out of the forum and logged in with the "always login" thingy activated. Then i wen't to the front-page and i was logged in there (i don't actually remenber if i logged out there.) Very confusing. But now, if i try to log out of the front-page, i can't :D :P

Edit: after clearing my cache (so i've logged everything out) i tried logging in on the forum with the always "login" on again. I then opened the front page, and i was logged in there (wasn't before). I then logged out of the forum, and refreshed the front page, and i was still logged in there.
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (22.23 KiB) Viewed 21867 times
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Drasir-Vel wrote:Then i logged out of the forum and logged in with the "always login" thingy activated. Then i wen't to the front-page and i was logged in there (i don't actually remenber if i logged out there.) Very confusing. But now, if i try to log out of the front-page, i can't :D :P
Yay. It seems to work then.

Yeah, it's impossible to logout from beta.curl.... right now, because it will always automatically log you back in from the forum cookie.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

The image in the header that says CWF-Freeware doesn't accept the redirect, so I will look into that soon. Right now I dont see a way to click yourself from the forum tot he main site.

--Mark Twain
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Damn, I have too many problems with timeouts right now to do much of anything.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Scythe wrote:Damn, I have too many problems with timeouts right now to do much of anything.
I've no idea where they come from. There are couple of possibilities.
It's caused by us and...
- It's the downloads that block other people
- It's the database that makes things slow

It's caused by someone else and...
- It's the downloads that block other people
- It's the database that makes things slow

Also, last weekend our host Surftown did something else than just update the control panel. But I guess we had these problems even before that...

also, I'm pretty inclined to believe it's the database, because the access to https://phpmyadmin.surftown.com/ (or using MySQL's tools) is dead slow.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I could hardly visit forums today, except a couple of lucky moments. Timeouts all the time. Strange thing, site loads usually ok, while forums seem to be affected more by the slowdown.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

eMTe wrote:I could hardly visit forums today, except a couple of lucky moments. Timeouts all the time. Strange thing, site loads usually ok, while forums seem to be affected more by the slowdown.
It's really odd.

There's one test you can all do, if sit/forume seems slow see if these URLs open up:
http://forum.curlysworldoffreeware.com/robots.txt
http://www.curlysworldoffreeware.com/robots.txt

They have nothing to do with database, so we can try to isolate where the problem is. As I said in the other thread, I also "disabled" our most downloaded game to see if that has any effect (responsible for 80% of traffic).
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Re: Bug List

Post by Pater Alf »

Is it just me or did nearly all the screenshots on the game info pages disappear (as well as most of the smilies)?

Also the site seems to be extremly slow.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I'm guessing Surftown has yet again broken something. If you try to open the smilies in a new tab, you'll get a 403 Forbidden error because of some PHP settings.

Odd stuff.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Damn, you, Surftown! I could live with the missing smilies, but the missing screenshots on the game info pages are extremely bad.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

They did some sort of update that could correspond with about the time when the smilies disappeared... I am wondering what they are doing... I will try to write them.

EDIT: Just read the http://blog.surftown.dk/ -They implemented something called Litespeed. I believe that might be some of the reason - or perhaps they did move us to another server as we requested but now something wont play with us. :Wallbang:

Oh and just now I noticed that whenever I press UNREAD posts, then it doesn't refresh - it simply gives me the same unreads as when I logged in earlier. Even though I read quite a few of them by now. Someone on the Surftown blog said something about Litespeed not refreshing when the request is a POST, which is set as default on the Surftown server.
Jeg skulle måske for god ordens skyld fortælle. At Litespeed serveren hos Surftown er er default sat op til, ikke at opdatere siderne når det er en "POST" forespørgsel. "Post" er den forespørgsel man bruger ved logind/logout - uanset applikation. Men også i andre sammenhænge.
Det vil sige, at du kan ikke se at du er logget ind - eller ud. For din logindside udskiftes ikke. Det er lidt det samme som en proxy-server. Lidt af et sikkerhedsproblem 'ik, for du er logget ind selvom du ikke kan se det.
Feel free to Google translate.

I will contact them and see what they can tell me.

EDIT2: Done.

--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Why on Earth would anyone want to cache POST-requests? A POST request should, by specification, always cause a change on the server side so caching it makes absolutely no sense unless you have a very f*** up web app, which, to be honest, many are.

If they keep up doing these optimization changes that hurt anything else than an average WordPress installation, then we have to start planning to move CWF elsewhere... =(
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Good news. Not only did they find the problem, which has to do with file rights - and was caused by their updates - they also moved us to a server with php 5.3 available, and they added something to our .htaccess-file. It is a comment saying *Added by surftown to use php5.3 ciomment this out addtype application/x-httpd-php52 php52php*.
That should solve our problems. (Their words not mine).

--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Yay!