Try searching freeware on Google...

Here you can ask here for help on things concerning the forums or make suggestions on how to improve things.

Moderator: Crew

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Try searching freeware on Google...

Post by Chroelle »

I tried something out today.

Please try and search Google.com for Freeware. Now see what nuymber we are if you can find it relatively easy.
Otherwise please try this:

Below the line with Gooooooooooooooooogle there is a small link that says: +Add a result.
Then go and add:
http://curlysworldoffreeware.com/site_main.php

I am figuring that that might help us get higher. Currently when I try and search Freeware after adding that result we are number one. That might however just be on my searchlist, since it asked me: What would you like to see when you search this next time....

Cool feature though.

Also try:
Free games
Freeware games
freeware game
Gratis games
download free games
games for free
indie games
games
etc. (dont try etc.)

See what you can come up with and maybe that will help us along.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I'm afraid that SearchWiki (as that Google's feature is called) only adds that link for your own results and has neglible effect on Google's results for others.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I searched 'Freeware Games' and CWF was the fifth page. But most of the higher ranked sites, were like Acidplay and GameHippo types. Not that bad, but could be improved. Maybe changing Meta Tags or something?
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Railwaymodeler wrote:I searched 'Freeware Games' and CWF was the fifth page. But most of the higher ranked sites, were like Acidplay and GameHippo types. Not that bad, but could be improved. Maybe changing Meta Tags or something?
Google's own advice is to just have better content... :D (and more backlinks!).
There's of course a lot we can do page-wise, but most search engines don't care about meta-tags anymore. Google published recently a nice document outlining how to make sites more indexable by Google (PDF).

In December 2008, our search statistics looked like this:

Code: Select all

Impressions
The top 20 queries in which your site appeared, and the percentage of the top 20 queries represented by each search.	
Traffic
The top 20 queries from which users reached your site, and the percentage of the top 20 queries represented by each click.
Top search queries
#	%	Query	Position
1	38%	the queen of fighters	4
2	17%	queen of fighters	4
3	10%	queen of fighter	4
4	7%	freeware games	46
5	4%	xmas avatar	24
6	2%	cwf	10
7	2%	legion saga	8
8	2%	the queen of fighter	5
9	2%	queen of fighters download	8
10	1%	pingus levelsets	6
11	1%	ostespil	10
12	1%	"the queen of fighters"	19
13	1%	the queen of figthers	7
14	1%	harald hårdtand download	9
15	1%	farmerland	2
16	1%	exit fate	6
17	<1%	freeware game	25
18	<1%	download harald hårdtand	7
19	<1%	gamebiz 2	8
20	<1%	garden gnome carnage download	 8
As you can see, we rank pretty high when people search for individual games (either for the game download, add-ons, walkthroughs, etc) and that's pretty good.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well we also have some things that are exclusive to us. Like my walkthrough for Croix Pan, which is in the top of our most downloaded list. And the game guide for Stranded II has so far had 8 downloads, which is ok, considered that the game has had 16 downloads.
I am currently making a list of things I should do to help things along with our popularity. There were some things in your post that made me think.

1: Is there any chance that we can reduce your popularity so your appearance wont push the whole site-content to the right? :)

2: I will make a task of searching Google for every single one of the games we have on the page, and see what results come up. If there is any chance of manipulating the content to point to our site then I will do that. EG: An offsite forum-request for Akuji The Demon, where I can go and point the asker to this site. Or downloadsites which mirrors gamedownloads from other places, who might be better off pointing to our more stable placement.

3: I wonder if it will help changing the title of the gamesites to Download and Game Info of ... instead of just Game info.

4: I need to finish that damn guide for Sunset over Imdahl...

So thanks for making me think.

--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I just tried looking over the last 300 downloads, and I got to thinking:
"That poor guy" when I saw this (notice time of download)

2008-12-31 23:58:47 Stranded II Anonymous

and then remembered the he might be in another time zone....

--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Re: Try searching freeware on Google...

Post by Chroelle »

It seems I forgot my own very good idea which might take me some time...

"2: I will make a task of searching Google for every single one of the games we have on the page, and see what results come up. If there is any chance of manipulating the content to point to our site then I will do that. EG: An offsite forum-request for Akuji The Demon, where I can go and point the asker to this site. Or downloadsites which mirrors gamedownloads from other places, who might be better off pointing to our more stable placement."

I think this might actually give me a lot of work if I do this, but I am pretty sure it can pay off. :)

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

There are some results that can't be improved. Try searching for "Legion Saga II"... :Yahoo:
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Indeed. :)

And I am pretty sure there are more of these out there, but I want to go over every single game in our downloadsite, and see what happens when I search them. Hopefully we will pop up quite a lot, but if not then I will go see if there is something I can do about that...

--Mark Twain
DJZotte

View the latest post

Post by DJZotte »

Is anyone else having problems with the View New Content feature of the site? For the past few days it states that there is no new post to view but if I go to the individual forums there is plenty of new posts.Chris