The Game Hunter Squad

Here you can ask here for help on things concerning the forums or make suggestions on how to improve things.

Moderator: Crew

Chillum
Legend

The Game Hunter Squad

Post by Chillum »

As you might know, we have here on CWF a "group" called The Game Hunter Squad, and by "group" I mean, that we only have one hunter, and thats me! I am the game hunter leader, but I do not have anybody to lead :(

So if you are interrested in being my slave :twisted:, please read the following:

As gamehunter, you search the net for QUALITY FREEWARE games, download them, play them a bit, and if you think they should be able to download from this site, then you let me know in the first place!

As gamehunter you will help run the freeware forum!

As gamehunter you will get a fancy purple name color! :D

Interrested? Then write a comment..
I will need 1 or 2 hunters.. If you want to know more, please let me know. :)
[u][b][color=indigo]:Givemebeer:....................It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's.....................:Givemebeer:[/color][/b][/u]
[img]http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/3111/banner4gl.gif[/img]

Be sure to check [color=blue][b][url=http://www.lost.eu/336d9]this one[/url][/b][/color] out!
Monteque
Tycoon

Post by Monteque »

Have made this a sticky
[img]http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/5705/sig2rose5ju.jpg[/img]
mistergreen77
Tycoon

Post by mistergreen77 »

I am interested. I think there is lots of quality freeware out there and I have heaps of time to look for it (between calls while I am at work). And a bit of spare time to play them a bit.
[size=84][color=green]“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler.”[/color] - Einstein

[color=green]“There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.”[/color] - Nietzsche[/size]

:twisted: [url=http://forum.connect-webdesign.dk/viewtopic.php?p=5411#5411]Society of Sinister Minds.[/url]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Well, can I join the squad...? :)
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

Yay! :D

Sounds good mistergreen! ;) I'll add you! I'll write a PM to you about it..

eMTe, I will talk with chroelle about it first.. You know he thinks that people should only have one job at the forum.. :mrgreen: but I don't think it's a problem... ;) I'll let you know when I know more..
[u][b][color=indigo]:Givemebeer:....................It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's.....................:Givemebeer:[/color][/b][/u]

Be sure to check [color=blue][b][url=http://www.lost.eu/336d9]this one[/url][/b][/color] out!
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

I think eMTe would be a great edition to the team as he is the one finding a lot of the games for you guys anyway, so he would just be doing what it is he is doing anyway, only with his name getting recognised as a games hunter with the rest of those that join :p
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Seriously now.

If joining the squad implicates any additional OFFICIAL duties - I say no. I'm doing what I'm doing, because a) I want to help the site, b) I have enough time to look for (and check) several games a week. Official duties involve responsibility for doing this and I'm not sure how much time will I have in nearby future... Therefore Id rather stay as an unofficial gamehunter, because it's more fun than full-time job. Ah, and I forgot: c) I'm, lazy. :mrgreen:

Seriously again: I have already two jobs as moderator plus unofficial job as gamehunter. And that's enough. I like it as it is. I already abandoned bd, since I cant spend my time on three forums (I barely manage to divide it between og and cwf). So... I think Ive explained everything. 8)

Of course if Chillum thinks that it's ok as it is and he can accept my terms (checking/submitting 3-5 games a week without any additional responsibilities and with possibility of leaving the squad anytime) I can join.

Looking at my terms once more... If I were you, Chillum, Id leave myself as an unofficial hunter... ;)
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

No doubt that you are a great game-hunter eMTe ;) And I also thought that you allready are doing what a game-hunter is supposed to ;)
But shall I add you to the Game Hunter Usergroup? (I can do that myself ^_^)

As you might have seen, there has been opened a game-hunter subforum in the freeware forum.. Take a look ;)

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well. The proudest duty the game hunters have is actually checking the games that are submitted (and as I wrote Chill, to get games when no members are active in doing this). So the one reason why eMTe shouldn't join the squad... Then it would be only the game hunters that submitted, which actually leaves a minor issue as tehy ahve to check their own submissions. That is actually why I think eMTe shouldn't join: We can't afford to loose him as a member submitting, and we can't have him checking the quality of his own games. I'm not saying that eMTe's games need checking, but we just want a creme de la creme freeware site, so all games have to live up to a certain standard, which is more or less the squads job to figure out what is...
eMTe: Keep submitting, and they will be added at some point. I just don't know if it is a waste of time to add them now, just ta make a way better system in a while and having to add them once more....
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

Okay.. I can see your point.. ;)

I have added mistergreen, so that means that I can still use one more..

So people - If you are interrested, please let me know ;)

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

In addition to what Chrolle said...

I'm a big fan of point'n'click adventures and there's already an overrepresentation of such games in freeware forum. If I have to choose between slightly above average adventure and brilliant genre-revolutionizing space shooter I'll always choose adventure, because I hate space shooters... So I'm not the one to judge what is or is not good for this site and we don't want to make one-genre site I think... :) So it's a good solution - I'll stick to submitting.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

That is the sense on the point of what I was thinking. I must say though that pretty much everthing you submitted so far has looked good, but I haven't played-tested many of them.
That is why we have a squad.
Keep up the indeed good work eMTe! :mrgreen:

--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Aye, aye, I'll keep up the good work. :)

I hope I'll get for this work a free beer in one of cwf bars some day... :P

What I wouldn't mind is more people making submissions (sorry, Chill, work is work :mrgreen: ). PEOPLE, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR GAMES IN FREEWARE FORUM!!! The more games the bigger choice, so don't hesitate!
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Do you have a full squad yet Chillum?

If you want any more testers, let me know.

Otherwise i'll see about finding some games on the wwweb. :mrgreen:
"There are two ways to live your life
One is as though nothing is a miracle
The other is as though everything is a miracle"
-Albert Einstein
mistergreen77
Tycoon

Post by mistergreen77 »

IMO it would be great if you could join. I haven't been keeping up with my gamehunter responsibility because of all my time going to helping fm with coders group.
[size=84][color=green]“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler.”[/color] - Einstein

[color=green]“There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.”[/color] - Nietzsche[/size]

:twisted: [url=http://forum.connect-webdesign.dk/viewtopic.php?p=5411#5411]Society of Sinister Minds.[/url]
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

I not sure exactly about the details of the game squad's job, but if I may offer some suggestions for the games?:

*Perhaps consider having a continuous user rating system for the games so everyone can put forward their opinion.

*If possible have the potential game tested by users with different operating systems.

*Make all the archives the same ( single file one-step rar or zips) with a notes file containing links to this site's url (and also maybe the specific game thread in the forum).

*If you have to tweak anything or run it through a dos emulator, etc. to get the game running on your system then it could be added to the notes file previously mentioned.

....just an opinion :mrgreen:
"There are two ways to live your life
One is as though nothing is a miracle
The other is as though everything is a miracle"
-Albert Einstein
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

The adding of notes, will be done. Like the game hs a link to the forum thread where it is discussed it also will have a link to the tech help thread where it is being dealt with (if any).

I was also actually thinking about the user rating system, if we could do it so that it is only the last 20 votes or so, that gets counted. This way we can see when a game is no longer as groundbreaking as it used to be, and no longer belongs on the site....

--Mark Twain
mistergreen77
Tycoon

Post by mistergreen77 »

So no objections to Ogre being part of game hunter squad? Ogre, can you PM chillum and let him know you are interested? Also, do you know php or have experience with databases? Fademind would be very interested to hear if you do.

Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

In fact, Ogre already contacted me ;) He knows HTML & stuff, and I think we can perhaps use his skills later too :)

And I personally think Ogre would be a great additon to Game Hunters Squad :)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

ME too, and especially since we had to steal :mrgreen: away to the coding departement.
I think that some members are holding back on submitting games, because they don't wan't to submit a lot when the gamehunter squad isn't any bigger, but hey, go ahead. But do the site a favor and join up. This is a very important group and it needs members.
Well - the design and the coding groups are equally important, but you know what I mean.
So here goes a resume:
PM Fadedmind for coding group
PM Dizi for Design team
PM Chillum for Game hunter squad
PM me for other jobs. We still have a forum (or two) without a mod.

I think there are some members that are holding back since they are afraid that they can't do a decent job. If you apply then you will know, otherwise you won't.
The GH's are propably the most relaxed group (ATM) as they don't have a deadline as such (not that the others do) but their work is continues. You decide how much time you will put into it, but you do have to put some time in. So apply people.

--Mark Twain