Frontpage look

Here you can ask here for help on things concerning the forums or make suggestions on how to improve things.

Moderator: Crew

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Frontpage look

Post by Chroelle »

Caused by the last few days of talks because we got an annoying new member :D (please take that as a joke) who actually had some new ideas instead of the old humdrum we all lived in long enough to get used to it.... I now start this thread.
See the annoying other thread here :)
http://curlysworldoffreeware.com/viewto ... 7503#27503

Ok. If we need to clearify the frontpage then what do we need to do. I am all for moving a couple of things, and making a few things more obvious.
I will try to make a blueprint of my ideas.

Also read about styles-making here:
http://curlysworldoffreeware.com/viewtopic.php?t=1291
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I did a new messy frontpage layout scheme.
Check it out live here:
http://www.connect-webdesign.dk/CWF-new/CWF-new.htm

or see the top part as a pic here:
Attachments
new.png
new.png (271.31 KiB) Viewed 17100 times

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Ok, except for the fonts you used (but I don't think you want to use these for real). I like that it puts the downloadable games (which is the most important content we have here) more in the centre of the mainpage. Also the big menu on the left is a good idea as it makes things more clear for new members. But keep in mind that you still need these links when you're navigating the site (New posts, Lurk, Profile, Usergroups etc.). So at least when you're logged in they should be where they are now (and when you're not logged in there should be a visible Register link).

But one thing in your layout I really miss: Where's the Game vs. Game feature??? I really like that. It should be there (at least as an extra content when you're logged in).
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I was thinking the same thing. But maybe further down the site...? I really love that feature too, so I would be sad to see it removed, but moved is no problem for me.

--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

See also
http://www.connect-webdesign.dk/CWF-new/CWF-new2.htm
For a version with another banner. Not so much navigation in the banner anymore, but that can be made.

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

I like the style of the banner even if I'm not sure it fits to the rest of the site (or we have to change the rest to a more cartoonish look as well, which wouldn't be a bad thing to do in my eyes). But the dark blue in the upper half of the words is a bit too dark. Should be a little lighter...
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I agree. Pretty much with everything in fact.
A cartoonish style would go well with some of the other ideas I am looking into (again).

--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

http://www.connect-webdesign.dk/CWF-new ... mments.htm

I tried making it without the comments, so it is more obvious how it would look. Also I tried placing the GameVsGame in the bottom with little luck, so please think about where to place this...
Also could everybody please write which links from the frontpage they use. I dont use that many, so in my case most of them could be moved into a "more options" page.

But feedback please, and dont forget to look over the other stuff I wrote about design etc in the last two days.

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

I think the Game vs. Game feature should be between the world news and the news on CWF. Or maybe it should be only visible if you are logged in (like a bonus feature). Non registered users can't use it anyway...

Regarding the links on frontpage I use regularly, these are: Log in, Lurk, New Posts, New Messages (but the last two are just useful for members) a nd I think the links for Games, Reviews, Interviews and Bug Report should be visible as well.

And when I browse the site (not the main site), I also use the big Download and Discussion buttons in the left and right corner of the banner a lot.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

So pretty much the same as me. I also use the last 300 downloads, and maybe the memberlist, usergroups, but these could very well go elsewhere.
I think a statspage and a more options page would be cool and also a good way to wipe out the many options you have now up front.
GvG could very well be placed after log in, but I think the world news and CWF news should come first, as they are very important in profiling us online.
I am having some ideas regarding that too, especially if they will work with RSS. If they do, I think we should combine the two to make it easy for people to sign up and get news. Which we will be able to give more often, and also about various things. Weekly news on new games added and what has been happening in the world of freeware doesn't sound that far-fetched.
If you check out the proposed menu it has the bugtracker, and new posts there.
Register:
Lurk
Reviews
Interviews
Games
Bugreport
Stats
Further options
Contact

And a few more. I think these are the most important ones. And it could be made even more simple before people log-in. But lets get working on this so far. I will keep trying to make a perfect lay-out, and might even come up with an idea for some simple design with a "comic-y" style. More feedback or even suggestions or examples are welcome.

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

The Log in link is missing (but maybe it can be combined with the Register button.

And I forgot: I use the Last 300 downloads as well...
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

The register button should of course be sided up with the log-in button, but removed as soon as you login.

--Mark Twain
SFault
Tycoon

Post by SFault »

I use the New Posts -link almost every time. Some things I use rarely are Discussion, Download, New Messages, Profile and Login. Rest of the stuff I don't read/use ever!

I really suggest that at this point there would be more planning and less designing. Check this link for example to understand why. My professional opinion is that there is too much stuff at the main page. One aim could be trying to cut down stuff in a way that everything would be shown without scrolling down. (And I don't mean just to crush everything into smaller space). Things that might be considered before doing a new layout might include what this site gives to registered members, what to random visitors and what kind of feeling/style it should represent. Most preferably these would be written in few words.
Segmentation fault
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

I use (in subsilver):

Find It!
Latest Downloads
Discussion
Download

I see no reason for:

Most posts
Usergroups