What you want to know about CWF

Here you can ask here for help on things concerning the forums or make suggestions on how to improve things.

Moderator: Crew

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

What you want to know about CWF

Post by Chroelle »

This here thread will be about Game hunters, the concept behind CWF, the different positions available at CWF, how we help and how you can help.

It will be about suggesting games, suggesting interviews, making reviews, suggesting features, the disclaimer, the game section and how it works.

It will be about everything related to CWF. Please write here if there are anything I forgot.

Rules in general about posting. I think rules shuld more or less be collected one place where we can make it obvious so that there isn't a new ruleset (more or less similar though) in each forum.

This will work as a FAQ, and but not for feedback. It will be closed when it is done, and all obsolete posts will be deleted. All info will be kept in this thread and that should make it easier to keep track of the info in the stickythreads we have all over our forum.

Suggestions and maybe even paragraphs for the FAQ please.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Jetstar
Tourist

Post by Jetstar »

I think someone should explain all the positions. I'm interested in helping in some way, but I can't really find a topic that explains it all.
"[i]The skyline was beautiful on fire.
All twisted metal stretching upwards.
Everything washed in a thin orange haze.[/i]"
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

Well, I can do a short summary:

We need GameHunters, whose main duty is to play and rate games. We have system where at least 3 GH's must play each game, and rate it with scale 0-6 points. If average is 4? or abowe, game will be uploaded to server, description is written and developer info is written. Usually PA or Chroelle does the uploading, info can be written either by uploader, or some other GH depending their enthusiasm. It may be that Chroelle and PA do need help with game uploading and description writing in the future... PA is in charge regarding GameHunting (or was it eMTe... :D )

Then we have a news section, where GameHippo news were posted too. The most common news writers are I, eMTe and PA. eMTe is officially in charge regarding freeware news. Anyone willing to keep his eyes wide open for interesting freeware news can help in this. More accurate practices can be negotiated with eMTe.

We also have reviewing possibility. Writing reviews about games is highly apprecuated, we only have few of those by now. Scythe is in charge at that section.

And we also desperately need a php coder, which could continue developing and maintaining CWF. I have written most of the CWF code, but I've had helping hands like Zyx, Spanek and MisterGreen. I am in charge at that section, but since I have 2 small kids, fulltime C-writing work, and studies waiting to be continued.... Well, I have really way too little time. You may take a peek at the bugtracker to get an idea of what's waiting to be done... (link is up'n right).

Generally we all try to keep eyes open for new good freeware titles, and also throw misc suggestions etc. And all in all, we do not really stay in our boxes, but we do those things we see are necessary for the site and fun ;) That's why this post is such a mess too :D

And in the center of this mess stands Chroelle, the admin and sole owner of CWF. He's the one who pays the server hosting, and has the final word - even though he never uses it :p

Final note, anyone can correct me, and make this a bit more accurate :D
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well I write "world news" too. I was the one behind the Gamehippo news, and I generally do site news in turns with Maz.

Also I do interviews with developers, and write guides for games, which is also something we do here. In between adding the occasional game, which is more than mostly Pater Alfs doing.

In general I am a jack of all trades, which is sometimes good and sometimes bad, but try and stop me :D

Are there any areas you think sounds more interesting than others?

--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Oh and of course there is multiple moderator-post open, but since we have such a small community so far, there is no need. But if you want responsibility of a particular area then dont hesitate to say so.

--Mark Twain
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Generally speaking, I don't do anything. Ok, once in a blue moon a review or a game validated. But freeware is not a passion to me, quality games are, so my time is split.

But I think I'm going off topic, as this probably wasn't supposed to be an introduction thread. :lol:
Jetstar
Tourist

Post by Jetstar »

I'd be more than interested in taking a position here. Obviously not a moderator because I haven't been around near enough for a spot like that to be assigned, but I'd still love to help somewhere else.

I'd help with the PHP but I don't have much experience in that (Don't want to mess it up). I wouldn't mind at all to help with finding the news, I took a year of Journalism but I highly doubt that would help.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Consider the job yours. When you find news, you can go and write them on the frontpage "world news" through a link in the bottom of the site that says "site control panel" but I believe Maz knows how to add that for you, so you can add news.
Since the news is written by so many people it is hard to say if there is a form or a way to do this, so find your own style and go ahead.

--Mark Twain
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

I gave the rights, but I have zero time atm. So perhaps you, PA or eMTe could explain how to add images and youtube videos...

Thanks for help, have fun and remember to avoid longwordslikethiswhichdonothavespacesinbetween. those break the mainsite layout...

:)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Not that I can remember how to add images and such...
Maybe eMTe can...

So do you see the link in the bottom?

Oh and by the way: Game hunters always needs more members, so if you want to do some more then this is a good place to look. Let me know.
And the rest of our new members too.

--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Seriously, the current state of the mess of code we have here is such that there's no way someone could mess it up. The only reason why a novice wouldn't want to touch it is not to get any bad influence... =)

We, or at least I, live in a constant fear of phpBB stopping supporting phpbb2.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

Mess? What mess?

... I would rather call it "Maz's Maze" ^_^;

And believe me, phpbb2 is the clearest part... :D
Jetstar
Tourist

Post by Jetstar »

Wow, thanks guys! I see the link, now to just go out and find stuff!

How often should stuff be posted, would twice a week be too much?
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Twice a day you mean. ;)

The more the merrier, just read hitherto news and feel what can be important and what not. Generally speaking, announcement of release date of long-awaited possible hit is important and new screenie added to development's blog of some average-looking mario clone isnt. Generally speaking.

Sending you small how-to in five minutes... Now where the hell is this pm.
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

I think anybody willing to help out can get a position here, at least at this point in time. That's a reminder to all the rest of you passing by. :D Remember that even just playing the games helps us out! At least if you're willing to assign a score afterwards and a few words to go along with it.