Favourite game from back then

This forum is for discussing Old Games. (Bubble Bobble, Command & Conquer Etc.). Yes, nostalgia's back.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Favourite game from back then

Post by Chroelle »

Well what was your favourite game back then.

I can't decide between two myself.

Pirates! Gold
or
Syndicate

I loved those two games, even though I had a hard time doing great in Pirates. I think it was rather hard.
And the jump in difficulty from the last two three missions to the very last mission in Syndicate was insane. I was unstoppable in all missions until I got to the last one. Took me about 50 tries just to get a foothold before dying.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
FogToo
Warhero

Post by FogToo »

I didn't fancy either one of those..
Civilization has always been my favorite.. The only problem, is the faster your computer is, the slower the game runs.. Even though I still play the game with the lag.. None of the newer versions of the game come close to it..
Turnbased strategy games is my favorite.. Newer games still needs the excitement that the old ones had.. Diplomacy was high on the list to, but it needs the advancement that civilization had.. :)
[size=84][color=red]War does not determine who is right. War determines who is left.
Praeterea censeo Carthaginem esse delendam! - Cato
There are 10 types of people in the world: "Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Det er latterligt at påstå, at computerspil påvirker børn.
Hvis f.eks. Pac-Man havde påvirket børn født i 80'erne, så ville vi i dag have en masse unge, rendende rundt i mørke rum og spise piller, mens de lytter til monoton og ensformigt musik.[/color][/size]
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Granted Civilization was a great game. I have the same issues with the newer versions and trying to play the old version on my PC.

I was so glad when I found it again, and pretty disappointed when I ran it, and everything was so slow that it was unbearable....

--Mark Twain
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

You considered Pirates hard? Maybe I didn't play it on the highest difficulty, as I should have, but I thought it was actually rather easy, once you got the hang of it.

While Pirates was certainly a great game, as was Civ, my favorite game, in the very early days, was without a doubt Elite. I spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours docking my ship, exploring the galaxies, and fighting space pirates. I kept a separate cassette tape for my C64 exclusively for Elite save games, and it was almost full by the time I exchanged my C64 for an Amiga.

This was long before Elite Plus, Frontiers and First Encounters, mind you, which were great games/expansions, but never enthralled me the way the original did. (Which is to say, I probably only spent a couple hundred hours on those...)
Prideth
Patron

Post by Prideth »

My favorite old games were two I played on my C64.

They are Tau Ceti, a space oriented one and Impossible Mission. Both these games kept me busy for hours and the satisfaction I felt when I finally beat them was better than what I've ever felt for any newer games.

Both these games were pretty sophisticated for the C64 and had nice colours, graphics ect. They look very old and clunky compared to newer games though of course :).
[size=75][color=darkblue]Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Never let it fade away
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Save it for a rainy day[/color][/size]
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

back when?? well back about 5 minutes ago my favourite game was ...nah just kidding

My favourite games were Sanfu on the intellivision or Kings Quest 5 on the PC ohhh and monkey island

Sanfu because it is highly adictive, kings quest 5 because I liked the story :D and monkey island because it is monkey island :p
Pitkin
Tycoon

Post by Pitkin »

Shucks, I once made a comprehensive list of my favourite games, of which most are oldies, but I've lost it somewhere by now. v_v

So, I'll just name a few of my all-time favourites:

1st place. Commodore 64; The Last Ninja 2: Back with Vengeance. Absolutely my all-time table-topping game. Good old medieval ninja Armakuni is cruelly woken up from his prayers, and when the game starts he finds himself in the middle of New York of the 1980s. Adventuring through the seven totally awesome and colourful levels, often engaging in a fight with the bad guys patrolling on the streets / in the sewers / etc, Armakuni must find his way to his arch-nemesis Kunitoki's hideout and deal with his antiquities before being able to return home. The game music is the best I've ever heard, Matt Gray having done an extraordinary work with the C64 SIDs. I just cannot help it, I love this game more than anything else ever created for playing.

The rest will go without further introduction:

4d (Sports) Boxing (Amiga/PC)
Another World (Amiga)
Anticipation (NES)
Bubble Bobble (C64)
Command & Conquer (PC)
Command & Conquer - Red Alert (PC)
the Great Giana Sisters (C64)
Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade (Amiga/PC)
Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis (Amiga/PC)
the Manager (Amiga/PC)
Moonstone: a Hard Day's Knight (Amiga/PC)
Pinball Fantasies (Amiga/PC)
Prince of Persia (Amiga/PC)
Princess Maker 2 (PC)
the Secret of Monkey Island (Amiga/PC)
the Secret of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (Amiga/PC)
Sensible World of Soccer (Amiga/PC)
the Settlers (Amiga/PC)
Sotsugyoo; Graduation (PC) (haven't played this 1997 publication nearly as much as the others, as I got to know with this only last year; made an immediate impact, though)
Summer Games I & II (C64)
Syndicate (Amiga/PC)
Transport Tycoon (PC)
Wings of Fury (Amiga)
Winter Games (C64)

I'm bound to have forgotten some totally awesome games, and I'll add them to the list as soon as they pop into my mind. ^^;
Last edited by Pitkin on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:05, edited 2 times in total.
Parvini
Tycoon

Post by Parvini »

Since my website is still down... I'll just alert you to some more well known games that people remarkably haven't mentioned so far...

The Dizzy Games for ZX Sepctrum circa 1987-1992

Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & Super Mario World & Super Mario Kart

(Super) Street Fighter 2 (Turbo/ Alpha 1/2/3)

The Legend of Zelda 3

Megaman 1, 2, 3, 4 (and arguably 5 and 6)

Super Punch Out

Hang on... is this PC only... umm...

In that case, I'll mention some obscure titles:

Omikron: The Nomad Soul - fantastic dystopian game that prefigures Deux Ex, let down by hybritity but featuring David Bowie.

Constructor - fast paced and very humourous Landlord sim

Covert Action - one of Sid Meier's best in my view. I love it, so much to do - a modern remake would be so so wonderful.

Colonization - the little and oft overlooked brother of Civ - brilliant trading sim, superior in my view to Machiavelli: The Prince.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Just to mention this.
I actually thought a lot of Colonization when working on the ranks. You should notice titles like...
Endentured servant
Statesman...

I was thinking of doing the ranksystem from the game to the point, but then realized that there were some things that needed to be placed in then, and that left a ranking system with flaws, so only kept a few.

--Mark Twain
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Parvini, your "obscure" games aren't that bad. Then of course it could be argued that if anybody should know "obscure" titles, it would be us... I remember I once made a complete list of "playable" characters in Nomad Soul, and the favorite was a thief you could get to play if you went and lost a crucial battle. :) Fun game, that, if severely hampered by too simplistic mini-games. I wonder what I did with that character list...

In any case, I've never heard of Constructor, but have played the others extensively. Comparing Colonization to Machiavelli?! That's unreasonable, Machi isn't much of a trading "sim." (It is kind of fun in multi-player though.)

And no worries, you can put as many console games in there as you want. As long as it's old stuff, anything goes. ;)

...and Chrølle, shouldn't that be "Indentured Servant"?
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

It should yes. Did I make a typo ... :Wallbang:

--Mark Twain
Heimnar
Prospect

Post by Heimnar »

I remember some really amazing games from the times of ZX-Spectrum. To name only few:
Jet Pac - wonderful arcade game
Knight Lore - ...arcade/RPG/adventure... a sort of. Very good!
Dragontorc - ...RPG/Adventure. Fantastic and difficult as hell

From PC games:
Command and Conquer - Tiberian Dawn
Civilization
Dune II
Podpisano - kot BEHEMOT
http://zxplanet.emuunlim.com/ - ZX SPECTRUM place for fanatics :welcome:
Usul
German Football Champion 2007/2008

Post by Usul »

I loved Cryos 'Dune' a certainly underestimated game, and of course Lucas Arts Classic adventure games like Monkey Island. Yesterday I completed the hard level in just 55 minutes. Even when I'll be :oldrant: I'll love it.

I spent also a lot of time playing 'The Manager' or 'Civilization'. 'Red Baron' was also very entertaining.
Pager

Post by Pager »

[quote="Parvini"]
Omikron: The Nomad Soul - fantastic dystopian game that prefigures Deux Ex, let down by hybritity but featuring David Bowie.
[quote]

Oh man, I think I'm gonna load this up tonight and play it again...think you've sparked something Parvini!

As for mine...

BioForge
Xevious (Atari 7800 version)
Dig Dug (Atari 7800 version)
Space Quest 3 <- this was the best one...close second would be number 5...
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
OSH
Patron

Post by OSH »

I love space simulators like ELITE, FRONTIER or X-WING. But also a realistic strategy like Harpoon. One of my beloved games is UFO ENEMY UNKNOWN. On C-64 I've played (and play today) LaserSquad, LastNinja. I have over 16 thousand games for C-64 and my only trouble is totally lack of free time :cry:
Pozdrawiam serdecznie, OSH.
Amiga1200 E/BOX Tower, Apollo 1240/25 MHz 34 MB RAM, HDD 4,3 GB; LG10x30x40, A1200 E1230/40 18 MB RAM, CD-32+SX-1 10 MB RAM, A500, A600, C64,. C-64G C64+1541-II
icarus

Post by icarus »

If you know me the most, you should´ve known I´m gonna Said the best IS Ultima 7 Part I & II... but I want to post another games that entertained me the most (in no special order):

- PC:
. X-Com 1, 2 & 3
. Civilization
. Stronghold (the first one)
. Dune
. The Horde
. Syndicate
. QUAKE
. Blood
. Lucas and Sierra Adv. Games (almost all)

- Console:
. Assault Suit Leynos
. Final Fantasy Series
. Fantasy Star 4
. Castlevania series
. Breath of Fire 2
. Chrono Trigger
. Mega Man series
. Actraiser
. Contra
. Konami Adventure 1
. Mario series

did I mention too much? well, there are dozens of games I didn´t mention
[b]And what if time doesn’t exist? And what if reality doesn’t exist? And what if reason doesn’t exist? Dreams, essence, beings, feelings, Life, would they all exist?. A final count, a count to our wake, a count to zero, a lottery of lives in which nobody wins and nobody looses, but everybody wants to play, why?[/b]
Manimal
Prospect

Post by Manimal »

None has played Double Dragon on Atari 520STx? (replace x with E or F ^_^ )
I've spent time on Nebulus... those towers are so cool.

far before there was Karate and Donkey Kong on Apple IIe...

If I'd post the list here this would be too long and boring to read ! :oldrant:
Usul
German Football Champion 2007/2008

Post by Usul »

No, not on the atari, but on the NES and Gameboy :)

My list would include: (PC)

RPG's:
Realms of Arkania - Blade of Destiny (God, I spent months with this one)
Relams of Arkania II - Startrail
Realms of Arkania III - Shadows over Riva

Sims:
Civilization
Zeppelin - Giants of the Sky

Adventures:
Dune
Space Quest III
Indiana Jones IV - Fate of Atlantis
Monkey Island II
Police Quest II
Simon the Sorcerer
Der Schatz am Silbersee (German adventure made by Software 2000 and the reason I came to OG four years ago)

Action:
Doom 2
Red Baron
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

I simply can never forget master of orion 1. I really loved that game. I wonder if anyone else ever enjoyed it, but for me it was the game back then.. Favourite races? Well, most of you probably know it by now.. But truth is i had another favourite too... Can anyone guess it?
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

I don't know if it's from "back then", in the way you mean... I'm not that old, you know :rolleyes:

But one of the games which've entertained me (and my father) most "back then", is Final Doom... The first game I got for my playstation :D:D
Unfortunately I've sold it now :(
But this screeshot brings back memories ^_^

[u][b][color=indigo]:Givemebeer:....................It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's.....................:Givemebeer:[/color][/b][/u]
[img]http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/3111/banner4gl.gif[/img]

Be sure to check [color=blue][b][url=http://www.lost.eu/336d9]this one[/url][/b][/color] out!