Generations

This forum is for discussing Old Games. (Bubble Bobble, Command & Conquer Etc.). Yes, nostalgia's back.

Which generation was your very first game console?

1st: Pong/Odyssey
10%
2nd: 2600/Intellivision/Colecovision
10%
3rd: NES/SMS/7800
40%
4th: Turbo/Genesis/SNES
No votes
5th: N64/Saturn/PS1
No votes
6th: Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/GameCube
20%
7th: 360/PS3/Wii
No votes
I've never owned a video game console
20%

Total votes: 10

Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Generations

Post by Scythe »

No, not the Star Trek kind, though Patrick Stewart and William Shatner in the same movie is Trekkie goodness for sure!

Nah, I was taking a poll on GameFAQs yesterday, and it went a little something like this:

Which generation was your very first game console?

7th: 360/PS3/Wii 0.51% 661

6th: Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/GameCube 3.86% 4956

5th: N64/Saturn/PS1 15.49% 19895

4th: Turbo/Genesis/SNES 22.67% 29122

3rd: NES/SMS/7800 41.47% 53259

2nd: 2600/Intellivision/Colecovision 12.95% 16633

1st: Pong/Odyssey 2.58% 3314

I've never owned a video game console 0.47% 599

TOTAL VOTES 128439

I'm happy to say that I apparently was in the first console generation, with the wonderful Odyssey. After that, I skipped four generations to arrive at XBox/PS2. Now I'm up to date again with the X360, currently considering when the PS3 will have enough exclusive content to be worth buying. Doesn't look like it's soon yet. Sony's arrogance also makes me think more than twice about supporting them any further.
Tank
[insert custom title here]

Post by Tank »

My first console was the Sega Dreamcast. I got it after Sega's demise must have been 2005/2006. Bought a PS2 after that.
And now, I'm planning on a PS3
German Moderator and Game Hunter Trainee.
Enjoy your stay.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

I have to admit that I never had an own console. First console game I played were on the 2600 and Intellivision. After that Ionly played some games from time to time on the NES, N64, PS1, PS2...
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

PS2 is the only console I have ever owned. But on the other hand, I have never been too enthusiastic about game consoles. (or actually I was at young age, I loved playing NES at my friends place.) I have always been more into computers and programming :/
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I got a hand-me-down NES from a friend when I was a kid. I remember spending hours on it playing Dragon Warrior, SMB3, and the Zelda games.

I have owned a few others throughout the years, and usually given them to my sister, who enjoys them more than I do.

I'm with Maz, I'm more into computers.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I'm highly critical of the that gamefaqs poll, because it would indicate that the majority of it's forums users weren't even born when they first owned a console.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

All polls should obviously be taken with a grain of salt. But I wouldn't be THAT critical. After all, the console could have been a hand me down from a family member, fx.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Yeah, but PS2 was the best-selling console of all-time and yet it was the first console for just less than 4%? FFS, 2600 and friends got over 12%!
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Didn't everybody have a 2600 back in the day? Except me, since I was a Commodore boy, but... I doubt that somebody clicked 16000 times just to get that bracket up. ;)

I agree that it looks strange, but with almost 130K individual votes, I don't see how the result could be purposefully skewed. Feel free to be suspicious, of course. :)
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Oh well, it might be possible, because Gamefaq's average age is 26 and
ages 18-34 make up 56% of audience. I still think many decided to answer "which console they first played with", though, as to sound more oldskool as according to GameFAQs, 76% of its audience has a gaming system. According to the poll, 99,5% has.
Tank
[insert custom title here]

Post by Tank »

I forgot... My first console wasn't a Dreamcast. It was a NeoGeoCD (must have been 4th Generation).
German Moderator and Game Hunter Trainee.
Enjoy your stay.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well I am 3rd generation as I got more or less ownership of my sisters NES. However I didn't play it that much. I was always more of a PC-man, and I later borrowed (for a year and a half) one of my friends Amiga 500 but that was never mine...
The first console I purchased myself was a PS1 which I bought from my best friend, since our gaming nights would otherwise have disappeared forever as he had to sell it off to get money for providing for his family...
So I actually never purchased a new console for myself...:D
I also first got my very own PC in 1998. Before that I was playing either my dads, or my big halfbrothers.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pager

Post by Pager »

Mine was the 7800, Pole Position II and Food Fight was the bomb.
Even though my dad technically bought it and owned it, I took it over.

He also had bought Pong when it first came out, and he also owned a CoCo and CoCo 3...so I guess you can say gaming is genetic in my family :lol:
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
SFault
Tycoon

Post by SFault »

My first console was Atari. I think it was 2600.

I bought it from my neighbor and sold it to some kid at a flea market. Kid's mother was like "But you already have a Nintendo.." but the kid wanted it and got it. I don't think he was too happy to find that NES was quite better device.
Segmentation fault