The best Adventure games

This forum is for discussing Old Games. (Bubble Bobble, Command & Conquer Etc.). Yes, nostalgia's back.
Dizi
Legend

The best Adventure games

Post by Dizi »

Ahhh yes those little text based or point and click games that really make you think :D As adventure games are the game of yesturday with very few new ones being released. Here is a topic to discuss the best one(s) in your opinion. I feel that no games forum should go without this thread :D

My second reason for this is simple. I am a big collector of adventure games so I don't really like to choose, and really this thread is in hope that some of you have played a really good one that I haven't heard of.
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

The one and only - MONKEY ISLAND! ;) No doubt there..!
[u][b][color=indigo]:Givemebeer:....................It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's.....................:Givemebeer:[/color][/b][/u]
[img]http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/3111/banner4gl.gif[/img]

Be sure to check [color=blue][b][url=http://www.lost.eu/336d9]this one[/url][/b][/color] out!
Ancsur2002
Patron

Post by Ancsur2002 »

And all the SIERRA games... I adore them!
The Bible teaches you that thou shalt love thy neighbour. Kama Sutra teaches you how.

Hungarian Scorpio of the Forums
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

I'll go with some text based ones...

It would obviously (to those in the know) be silly to mention anything by Infocom, so I'll try not to.

One of my all time favorites is Hound of Shadow, a Lovecraftian text adventure ("Interactive Fiction" if you like elitist sounding genre titles - I'll go with "Text Adventure" any day. ;) ). It had an almost RPG like character creation process, in which you selected skills, which had some (very small, sadly) effect on certain puzzles and situations. It also was quite charming in that you could pass the time strolling about London (I think it was London), checking out things while waiting for the plot to advance.

An old time favorite was Perseus and Andromeda, which was, surprise, based on Greek myths.

Gremlins, the Text Adventure, entertained me a lot on my C64. You can guess what that was about. ;)

Also, if you want to go really classic, Scott Adams' Adventureland, or anything by Scott really. (Well, I wouldn't actually touch any of the Marvel Games, The Hulk, Spiderman, or Fantastic Four, as they were quite poor.)

Let's see, anything else..? All right, just one more, graphical, not text: Superhero League of Hoboken, which is an RPG/adventure hybrid by Legend Entertainment. I'll bring this game up in all threads if I can, I adore it so much!
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

What do they make?? Forexample..

EDIT: That question was ment for ancsur.. :roll:
Last edited by Chillum on Wed Mar 15, 2006 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
[u][b][color=indigo]:Givemebeer:....................It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's.....................:Givemebeer:[/color][/b][/u]
[img]http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/3111/banner4gl.gif[/img]

Be sure to check [color=blue][b][url=http://www.lost.eu/336d9]this one[/url][/b][/color] out!
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

I remember when I was younger and first started to play these types of games, loading up the hulk on my c64 and getting killed almost right away, yet I wouldn't give up I had to do it...although I never did compleate it till I was 17. The logic in those games was just too messed up for my liking, I like a challenge but not something that takes years to understand.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

My top three:

1. Monkey Island 1

2. Gabriel Knight 1

3. Quest for Glory 1

Not my best, but I really enjoyed playing them:

Rex Nebular, King's Quest 6, Police Quest 1, Larry 1 and 6, Goldrush!, Rise of the Dragon, Laura Bow 2, Dragonsphere, Cruise for A Corpse, Dreamweb, Goblins series, Indiana Jones 3 and 4, Day of The Tentacle, Sam and Max, The Dig, Conquests of The Camelot, Conquest of The Longbow, Legend of Kyrandia 2, Innocent Until Caught, Eric the Unready, Gateway and some others I dont remember atm...

As for games released after the golden era I can call classics only two games: Out of Order and No-Action Jackson.

Currently I'm playing Shannara (full cd version is available HERE ) and if I had only one word to describe it... CHARMING. 8)
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Monteque
Tycoon

Post by Monteque »

I have played so many adventure games...

My Top 4: (in no particular order)

- Monkey Island
- Goblins
- Beneath A Steel Sky
- The Longest Journey.

Have used many hours on these games. :D :D Really great games...
[img]http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/5705/sig2rose5ju.jpg[/img]
SGSW
Warhero
Location: On my way to hell or heaven whatever seems best at the moment

Post by SGSW »

Most of the LucasArts games with Grim Fandango, Monkey Island and Full Throttle and Sam & Max on the top of the list and also Maniac Mansion and DOTT
http://www.vinylplastik.com/ - Wall Graphic Interiors - decoration - ships worldwide, AFAIK and it's run by someone I know.

htpp://www.lulu.com/ - Self-Publishing site

If you want a place to stay in Lisbon, staying for more than 3 days (excluding the yoth hostel) and are afraid to leave the girls with me try this http://lisbonsteps.blogspot.com/
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

I have just bought The Longest Journey, I saw a few screen shots and read a review and thought that I might as well buy it. As it is in your top 5 Monteque along with some great adventures I really can't wait to have enough time to sit down an play it :D
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Longest Journey is a wonderful game. It has a few odd points, and some plot concerns, but it's quite an enjoyable graphic adventure. I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

Well if there is a sequel then I am going to have to clear some time to play this one then, with two reccomendations now I wish I could play it right now :( ahh well easter is coming up soon that will give me a couple of weeks.
Prideth
Patron

Post by Prideth »

I loved the old text adventure games on the C64 and still own a ton of them. My two favorites, because they were the most challenging, are Dungeon Adventure, and Rigel's Revenge. They are both very hard games to beat.

I haven't had much experience with point and click adventures because we didn't get our first PC until 2002 so missed the entire dos era, but I have played a bit of one of the Kings Quest games, and it was ok I guess.
[size=75][color=darkblue]Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Never let it fade away
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Save it for a rainy day[/color][/size]
Heimnar
Prospect

Post by Heimnar »

Best adventure games you say?

Here are mine:
-Monkey Island
-Simon the Sorcerer (I part is fantastic, second - a bit worse)
-Gobliiiins III (superb!)

These are point-and-click.

The text adventures I know and like, are:
-The Hobbit, from old times of ZX Spectrum
-Oracle's Cave - rather a pre-RPG, than adventure maybe, also on ZX
Podpisano - kot BEHEMOT
http://zxplanet.emuunlim.com/ - ZX SPECTRUM place for fanatics :welcome:
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Huh? I think I'm under the "the best adventure games" topic... And I can hear Heimnar talking about Goblins 3...

* silent voice from the depths of hellish maze *

I disagree with Goblins 3 being one of the best adventure games. First two parts of the series are far better, in both humour and screen design. Third part is too hard and puzzles are too illogical (they always were in Goblins games, but at least they were fair). I think third part was created only to lengthen the series, but it adds nothing to the value of first two parts. Except yet more illogical puzzles... And this tendency reached its top in Woodruff - one of the most illogical (and not fun at all) games of all times...

* poor lost eMTe once again disappears in darkness... *
Heimnar
Prospect

Post by Heimnar »

Well - it is for me. I agree that the previous part may be better. I don't know, since I haven't played them. If I would - then I would probably list them here instead of the third part.
You got the point that some of the tricks to do there are totally illogical, but most of them are not. Besides the game has a wonderful mood, nice music.
Podpisano - kot BEHEMOT
http://zxplanet.emuunlim.com/ - ZX SPECTRUM place for fanatics :welcome:
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Then I advise you to check them out - I assure you you wont be disappointed.

Someone mentioned Beneath A Steel Sky, I forgot to add it to my list. Together with other average games... Imo BASS is far too easy and even if you disagree with that you have to admit that it's far too short. I finished it in two days and I didnt feel that I was taking part in adventure - probably because story is limited to one place. I dont like the music, too - it is far too light-hearted for the cyberpunk game. I also dont like the ending - and again, it's too short.

The biggest pro of this game and what make it unforgettable is beautiful screen design - maybe the best made ever in adventure game.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I must admit I never considered Gobliins 3 an adventure game. It seemed to lack something, like a plot perhaps? More of a puzzle game, I think. Fine line, I suppose.

I enjoyed Beneath a Steel Sky when it originally came out on the Amiga. Quite the wonderful game at the time that seemed to do things that Lucasarts and Sierra didn't. It was vastly superior to most other efforts, like Future Wars or Dreamweb, IMO. I don't remember it being all that short, but I may not have been the greatest of solvers at the time. :)
Usul
German Football Champion 2007/2008

Post by Usul »

My Top-List as I was very keen to adventure games.

1. MONKEY ISLAND 2 - LeChucks Revenge (especially on the hard level, the riddles were sometimes a bit strange, but still today it's pure fun and I like the atmosphere.)

2. VERY close: GABRIEL KNIGHT 2 - The Beast Within (entertaining plot about werewolf activity in Munich. As I own the French version, it was quite odd to hear an American character speak German with a French accent. One of these 6-CD games.

3. Anyone knows HARVESTER ? Quite an unknown pearl from DigiFX. Young boy wakes up in the early 50's in a village, where everyone is behaving in strange ways. Lots of brutality and blood here and a very fine story twist at the end.

I played a lot of adventures at the time, Police Quest 2 was my first pc game ever and the first adventure I completed was Space Quest 3.
I 'd like to add 'PHANTASMAGORIA' , 'DUNE' although its not a pure adventure and 'SIMON THE SORCERER' that I enjoyed.
Tank
[insert custom title here]

Post by Tank »

I loved Broken Sword (1 and 2). They are in my opinion the best adventure games.
Larry 7 was also great!
So, these are my favourite adventures!
German Moderator and Game Hunter Trainee.
Enjoy your stay.