The best Adventure games

This forum is for discussing Old Games. (Bubble Bobble, Command & Conquer Etc.). Yes, nostalgia's back.
justin

Post by justin »

My favourites are:
1. Monkey Island series (mostly 1&2)
2. King's Quest series
3. Simon the Sorcerer
spiff

Post by spiff »

Just thought I would give my opinion as well.

LucasArts made a lot of great adventure games. Some of my favorites are Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle.

Also, Adventure Soft's Simon the Sorcerer was very cool.

For those of you who are not aware: These games all run pretty good with ScummVM (http://www.scummvm.org/), both under Linux and Windows.

But perhaps the one I liked the most was The Neverhood. If you haven't played this, you should try it. It was made by Dreamworks Interactive (Steven Speilberg). They used more than a metric ton of clay (either it was 2 or 11 - I don't remember) for the game.
Mikkel Holm Olsen
AKA Spaceman Spiff
http://symlink.dk

Russel's observation: Due to a lack of trained trumpeters, the end of the world has been postponed indefinitely.
icarus

Post by icarus »

I'll always stay lucas. Monkey Island, Maniac mansion, Full throttle... the list goes on and on.
I love sierra too thanks to larry, quest for glory, king's quest and others.
I still want to play Grim Fandango. I never played :(
[b]And what if time doesn’t exist? And what if reality doesn’t exist? And what if reason doesn’t exist? Dreams, essence, beings, feelings, Life, would they all exist?. A final count, a count to our wake, a count to zero, a lottery of lives in which nobody wins and nobody looses, but everybody wants to play, why?[/b]
KDream

Post by KDream »

Not to be forgotten : Loom. I still find it one of the best games of all times, because of the unique concept and the depth of the plot. I really hope that someone will make a sequel ...
icarus

Post by icarus »

I hope not! Picture Loom on a 3D environment... I suppose that by the late monkey island experience... let the classic adventure games rest on their supreme glory...
[b]And what if time doesn’t exist? And what if reality doesn’t exist? And what if reason doesn’t exist? Dreams, essence, beings, feelings, Life, would they all exist?. A final count, a count to our wake, a count to zero, a lottery of lives in which nobody wins and nobody looses, but everybody wants to play, why?[/b]
Pager
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Pager »

Fine I'll say it...Phantasmagoria! Oh no wait, this is for the BEST adventure game? What was I thinking?!? My opinion will mean nothing forever, how could I be so foolish? My word ruined, by a CD swapping catastrophe!!
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
icarus

Post by icarus »

yes my friend :)
You're lost :D
Pager

Post by Pager »

But seriously, on OG there was so much Phantasmagoria slagging that I almost couldn't resist slandering it there.

I for one hated the large quantity of CD swapping, if you want to go into the backyard insert disc 3, you want to go to town insert disc 2, go upstairs disc 4, go into the bathroom disc 1...yadda, yadda, yadda...

But you know I can look past that, because at least it wasn't on 300 floppies. Personally, I thought it was a great game. It freaked the heck outta me, and the first time I saw that big scary monster rip apart poor Adrianne's face I almost threw my guts up (and not like the motion sickness I suffered from playing Forsaken, but like the throwing up when your grandma slips you the tongue ).

Sure it looks and feels like a dog now, but at the time, that game was the bomb, it had live-action actors blue screened into the game-play, it had an enveloping storyline, and it was terrifying.:rant:

Albeit it was kind of easy to complete, but the ease doesn't make a game, heck I completed Full Throttle in under 3 days, and that is still regarded as a terrific game. (Ok, if it came to a match between Full Throttle and Phantasmagoria, Ben would beat Adrianne hands down)

And it was sure a heck of a lot better than many other Sierra games, ie Phantasmagoria 2, Lighthouse and RAMA. :rant:

So really, why does everyone hate it so much? Dizi, I know you've posted that you dislike it, so why? Here's your chance to bring it out, and all you other Phantasmagoria haters. :twisted: :rant:
CWF - Safer than Crack, Twice as Addicting
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I'm not really in one camp or another. I mean, I played it all the way through, and I liked some of the scenes, while I yawned at others. The blue screen technology was lousy, but most of us can probably agree that "graphics" aren't all important. I gotta admit, it was more a story-telling game than an adventure game, but while the story was kind of cliché, it was still readable. The CD swapping came with the territory (*shrug*). Not the first game where I've had to swap all the time. I'm sure the contents could have been distributed better.

While I didn't have a bad time playing it, I don't see myself ever doing so again, though. The story would have had to be a lot more interesting for that to happen. Same thing with Phantasmagoria 2, which did try to make a more interesting story, but just turned into some junkie's nightmare instead...

I'm not going to bash it, but it wasn't exactly a master piece.
Dot O'Rock
Patron

Post by Dot O'Rock »

Apart from the classic Lucas (MONKEY! MONKEY!) and Sierra (GABRIEL! GABRIEL!) games, I'd like to give a mention to the terrific Legend of Kyrandia-trilogy from Westwood.
Loved all three of them I did. Especially the second one; Hand of Fate.

Also, someone mentioned Harvester. Sickest game ever, but still one of the best horror games.
Speaking of horror games; Dark seed 1 and 2! \o/
With conceptual art by H.R. Giger (The man who designed Alien) and lots of sick things, 'twas really scary back when I played them.
Also, I loved Little Big Adventure a.k.a. Relentless: Twinsen's odyssey.
If you don't make a friend now,
one might make you -
so learn
the gentle art of making enemies.
jcsychristina
Tourist

Post by jcsychristina »

i would say Full Throttle

ive recently found it and installd it to play
finsihed it in a couple of hours and deleted it
just to get its feel again :)