PRESS PLAY ON TAPE

This forum is for discussing Old Games. (Bubble Bobble, Command & Conquer Etc.). Yes, nostalgia's back.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

PRESS PLAY ON TAPE

Post by eMTe »

PRESS PLAY ON TAPE is a revival and tribute rock band to the music used in games on the 1980s' Commodore 64 home computer. The six-member band, hailing from Copenhagen, Denmark, has released a couple of albums and has done several concerts in Britain, Norway and Denmark. Fans are found all over the globe and some fans have even travelled from far away to attend the band's concerts. Pirated versions of their albums can even be found in some Asian countries.

The band's name comes from the message "PRESS PLAY ON TAPE" that the Commodore 64 displayed when the user issued a command to load a program from the tape drive. Upon pressing the play button on the tape drive, the program would then load.

http://www.pressplayontape.com/

PRESS PLAY ON TAPE was formed in the fall of 1999. The game tunes from the C64 had been for a few years prior to the band's existence been interpreted by numerous remixers as dance club music or techno music. PPOT was the first band to perform C64 game themes live and as rock. PPOT's first public concert was in December 1999 at the demo competition event The Party in Aars, Denmark.

After the band formed video game music's sound has grown more and more popular being widely used in contemporary popmusic, and too awareness of video game theme bands has grown in Europe and the US. Specifically this has reached many of the people in Europe that had a C64 in their early youth making existence possible for a band that plays music from a home computer that had its prime in the mid 80ies.

Members:

Theo Engell-Nielsen, Synthesizer
André Tischer Poulsen, Synthesizer
Søren Trautner Madsen, Drums
Uffe Friis Lichtenberg, Bass
Jesper Holm Olsen, Guitar
Martin Koch, Guitar

Free videos to watch and download:

http://www.pressplayontape.com/?pid=streamingvideos

info from wikipedia
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

How did I miss those guys. The even play at the place I usually go to see bands play. The rock. IT is a great place. One of my friends bands (yes plural) plays there quite a lot. Once both of his bands played there on the same night, so when his first bands gig was over he could just stay on stage for the next two hours gig. Great bands though.

I love the idea of PPOT, and am thinking about watching when they will return to The Rock so that I can go see them.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Cannon Fodder's "War" played with different game controllers is my favourite - no surprise it is put on top of video list. And Jon Hare joins the band! This is a mustwatch!!

I also like Bubble Bobble and GhostsnGoblins themes. Monkey Island theme sounds a bit dull imo, it lacks kick. But on the other side there's only short preview available.

Good band and they seem to really enjoy the gigs and this is most important for me.

There was also a band called SID80 or SIDs80... It consisted of several real commodore music composers, but is disbanded now afaik...
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I know it's not C64, but I wonder if these guys would ever do their own rendition of the Transport Tycoon music. That would be cool! I got a TTD MP3 soundtrack playlist on my computer (Along with playlists of the MP3 music from Industry Giant 2 and Railroad Tycoon II Platinum).

I know- I'm a little different! :P
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
SFault
Tycoon

Post by SFault »

Railwaymodeler wrote: I know- I'm a little different! :P
Well, I wouldn't say that. I happen to listen doom-soundtrack pretty often (the game, not the movie). Also I have a playlist full of old C64 songs in SID-format. Some of those are pretty good, but some are just too horrible.

I gotta give some respect to my parents because they must have gone crazy listening that music coming from C64 or PC speaker, while I have been playing for hours. Perhaps the "I think you should go out and get some fresh air" really meant "That bleebing is driving me nuts!".
Segmentation fault