GOG offers Fallout for free

News from the world of freeware games

Moderator: Game Hunters

Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

GOG offers Fallout for free

Post by Scythe »

I've been told that you can get a copy of the original Fallout game at GOG.com, if you act before 11:59 pm GMT, April 8. You need a GOG account of course.

Get it here: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Re: GOG offers Fallout for free

Post by Pater Alf »

I moved this topic to the "freeware News" section. Thought it might be an interesting info for the front page.

Oh, and I nearly created an account to download the game when I found out that I've still got my CDs of "Fallout" and "Fallout 2" at home that I bought a long time ago.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Pater Alf wrote:I moved this topic to the "freeware News" section. Thought it might be an interesting info for the front page.

Oh, and I nearly created an account to download the game when I found out that I've still got my CDs of "Fallout" and "Fallout 2" at home that I bought a long time ago.
The versions on GOG are often fully patched and also are made to run on modern operating systems. I don't know if this applies to Fallout.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

The version on GOG is made to run on new systems, so I would get it while you can. Also, I didn't think this qualified for freeware, since the offer ends in less than 2 days. ;)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Pater Alf wrote:interesting info for the front page.
And for whoever reads our front page. :ninja:
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

eMTe wrote:And for whoever reads our front page. :ninja:
Bless their tiny, little hearts.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Ok, you covinced me to create an account and download the game. And while I did so I saw that they also have "Ultima IV" for free. Nice surprise!
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Alternatively, you can download the original Wasteland, from somewhere. It occupies less hd space and isnt boring like this remake.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

eMTe wrote:Alternatively, you can download the original Wasteland, from somewhere. It occupies less hd space and isnt boring like this remake.
Actually, Fallout was intended as the sequel to Wasteland, but they couldn't secure the rights to the name. Of course, now the real sequel is in the works.

I haven't played Wasteland, but I wouldn't call Fallout lousy.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

eMTe wrote:Alternatively, you can download the original Wasteland, from somewhere. It occupies less hd space and isnt boring like this remake.
I'm sorry eMTe, but despite rabid fanboys, Wasteland was not a better game than Fallout.

Ok, ok, this is not exactly an objective discussion. :p
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

No need to argue for me here. "Wasteland" was great, but I also liked "Fallout". Must be the post-apocalypse setting that appeals to me.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Scythe wrote:this is not exactly an objective discussion
What is "objective discussion"? :HM:

As for Fallout I wouldnt say that it is "lousy" but for me it is boring, I dont know why. I have no problems with turn-based rpgs in general, but when it comes to isometric ones I cant stand them for more than a dozen of minutes. I bought Baldur's Gate many years ago (but also years after release, so heavily cut-priced), hoping to have good fun with a "renowned" hit, but I couldnt play it either. It's not the view which is the problem, because for example Diablo is one of my favourite game. Somehow rpgs, isometric view and eMTe doesnt want to cooperate.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

eMTe wrote:It's not the view which is the problem, because for example Diablo is one of my favourite game.
This here is clearly your problem. :lol: (At least Diablo is not consistent with my view of a fun game)
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Some news for those who don't visit GOG.com on a regular base...

Most important: "Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire" and "Ultima: Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams" are available for free for an unlimited time. Both of these classic RPGs use the Ultima VI engine. So if you liked "Ultima VI", you will probably enjoy the two freebies two.

Second info: For the next 17 days there is a "Battle of the Games" summer promo. Each day two games battle against each other. Users can vote for their favourite game and the winner gets a 60% discount for the next 24 hours (the looser still a 40% account). First winner is "Myst - Masterpiece Edition" that you can get for $2.39 today.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

I think it's good to note that also Ultima 4 is available for free on GOG.com, if you're into those sort of things.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

The rights to original Fallout games are changing hands from next year on, and what better way to celebrate that than by poisoning the well to the new owner by giving the games for free? So, for the next day and a half, you can get Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Fallout: Tactics for free at GOG.com.

However, I'm guessing most of our community is already very familiar with the titles. Maybe not Tactics, because wtf.