Superfast help requested!

Want to participate in game development? Need help in your game project? Open a new thread where you introduce yourself in here.

Moderator: Game Hunters

jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Superfast help requested!

Post by jayenkai »

:D

In two weeks (Tuesday 13th of July, 2010) I'll be posting the 200th game onto my Jayenkai Archive.

I've about a dozen or so Windows games not in the archive, about 5 or 6 Windows Mobiles games not in the archive, all my Amiga stuff not in the archive, and probably lots more forgotten things.. The archive count is only the games available for download from the archive.. Even so, 200's a big number, and I'm milking it for all it's worth!!

As a way to celebrate this, I'm going to make another nice big pack, filled with a bunch of my better games.
RetroRaider is a better game, and if I put that in the pack, Windows players will be happy.
But what about the Mac and Linux folk?
They won't be so happy.

RetroRaider was made in Blitz3D, so it's not all that easy to convert it over. If, on the other hand, I remake the sucker... I could quite happily plop the new one into the pack, so that everyone can play about with Lara's Retroness!

So, starting fresh (but keeping the Lara sprites, because I'm on a very freakin' tight schedule here!) I'm redrawing all the backgrounds, making things much neater in the gfx department, and even upping the size of those lovely backdrops, to give the player (and editor) more room to play around with...

But that's simply graphical things.

What gamey things should I do?

What was missing, what should be added, and what would make the new one great?

Thoughts?
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Re: Superfast help requested!

Post by Chroelle »

LEt me go back and try the original again, and then I will get back to you tonight (Danish time - 8 hours from now or so). Please remind me though. I am home alone with the kid, so there is a big chance I'll forget.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

I don't think I can come up with anything I haven't already suggested in this thread:

http://curlysworldoffreeware.com/viewtopic.php?t=2009

As far as I can see you already added most of the stuff I wanted. Maybe trapdoors, hidden traps, T-Rex, kind of a campaign mode (going on to the next level if you beat one), more weapons (knife, grenades), spikes are still missing, but you had your reasons not to implement that kind of stuff.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

I'm using chunkier sprite areas, this time around, so there's a few extra bits and pieces I can do with the game.
Still not sure about TRex, though.. He'd need a really really really big sprite!!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

How about rolling boulders? Human opponents? Two player mode?
HAven't had time to open up the game, but will in a jiffy as soon as the daughter sleeps.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Progress report
Game's coming along slowly but surely.
I got about 50% of the editor up and running, today, so lots of things are starting to fall into place.

I even got it saving the level, too!
Blimey!!

Next up, adding bullets and baddies and gates and keys.. Those should happen pretty quickly.

I think I'll also add a minimap, too. Should help.. maybe!
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Progress Report

Bullets and baddies are done, gates and keys aren't yet because baddie deaths were MUCH more complicated than I remembered!!
Done now..

I've also added a "Story" screen, which can be added to each level..

Looks like this..
(but, you know, moving and stuff)

I need to add the storymode input into the editor. It's currently a case of open the file, type it in, save it!
But.. it's getting there!
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Sounds good, looks great! Can't wait to play this new version...
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Things are still "RR1"ish, in that I've not yet really started to add newness to the game, but I'm ramping things up, this morning..

I've finally gotten around to adding a bit of gui/feedback for the player, but had to do everything THREE TIMES, due to my three different allowable aspect ratios! ..hit Tab on any of my recent games to switch the resolution, and you'll probably notice they neatly switch between widescreen and back again..

Usually I make use of the space difference..
Neonplat2, for example, feels a little different in widescreen. There's more width, but less height. It tends to play more horizontally in this mode, whilst making the Spike Mode a lot more difficult, due to the lack of height!

This time, the game can't really fit properly into widescreen, since it's pretty much a per-pixel, space specific game.
Instead, I've opted to add bars.
Whatever the resolution, the middle bit remains the exact same ratio, and then the gui fits neatly into the available space.

4:3 ratio, the gui goes at the bottom..

16:9/16:10, the gui goes at the sides..

Sorted!

So, with the inventory in place, I can now start adding some neat pickups. It's all gathering together, slowly but surely!