How about a game...?

For general freeware discussion - not single games.

Moderator: Game Hunters

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

How about a game...?

Post by eMTe »

Following the demise of Peter Molydeux's twitter account and recent discussion in NeonPlat Adventures thread I thought, why CWF cant start its own forum topic dedicated to wildest gaming ideas one can imagine?

Basic rules:

1) Idea cant be longer than 2 lines in textbox (we dont have character counter, so it would be uncomfortable to count all characters to fit into twitter's microblog format),

2)Idea must start from "How about a game..." or similar words.

Given the fact that I have natural inclinations towards venturing into theoretical solutions for various things (to put it simpler: philosophizing) it might occur that I will spam this thread, but I consider it more of a game-thread, like "guess the..." or "add next line to the story".

I start!

---

How about a platform game where with each ten pressings of control keys you switch between different gameplay modes - running, flying, shooting, jumping, collecting etc. while the monsters around you follow their usual platforming agendas?
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: How about a game...?

Post by eMTe »

How about a Civilization-inspired management game where you have to manage a gaming site and start with limited money and manpower, but you must fight for becoming one of the most recognizable sites in the world?
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

eMTe wrote:How about a Civilization-inspired management game where you have to manage a gaming site and start with limited money and manpower, but you must fight for becoming one of the most recognizable sites in the world?
Zyx discovers The Manhattan Project.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

I've attempted to post a bunch of ideas here, but each one's ended up in my idea list for AGameAWeek Year 4.. sorry!

(assume that, at least 3 of them, are about screwing with the player's mind!!)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

One day, one idea?

How about a game being several gigabytes huge, but made like they made games 20 years ago? Chaos Engine or Superfrog with 1500 different worlds. Labour of total love, taking a lifetime to complete.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

You'd never get to play it! It'd never be finished.

How about a game where the player builds the level, which the AI then tries to complete.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Well, your idea would never be fulfilled, too. While building a level you play the role of both player and AI. Whatever you build is limited by player's cognitive/manual skill abilities and whatever you call AI is AI. You're AI in fact. Like somebody commenting point and click adventure games noticed: you dont solve puzzles, you just try to find out what was on game's creator mind. Whatever you build is what the incognito player is to find out. Like in NeonPlat Adventures. You and player both mirror themselves.
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Way to overthink it!
Years of AGameAWeek = the ability to think small!
.. I was thinking a bit like this, but less "pure chance", and more "nudge" based. Like one of those shuffle-the-numbers games..

(and this is the only way I can come up with doing "JNKPlat on iOS" without it being a horrible game with loads of giant touchscreen buttons everywhere!)
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

How about a game where the player uses a variety of monsters, and guides them around a path lined with turrets and towers, attempting to storm the castle at the center?
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

jayenkai wrote:How about a game where the player uses a variety of monsters, and guides them around a path lined with turrets and towers, attempting to storm the castle at the center?
Ah, reverse Tower Defense (or Tower Offense) in the spirit of the good old Dungeon Keeper. I'm quite sure there are already many of these, a quick Google search brought up a Flash game called Anti-TD.

I think it definitely has certain novelty value, but is it possible to build a solid game around the idea?
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

It also reminded me about Dungeon Keeper...
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

How about a game where the player takes control of a series of pre-positioned fans around a level, clicking them to activate them. The player uses these to control the movement of a feather!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Great thread-idea. How about a game where you play an assasin and you have a huge gameworld, and all the time in the world to kill a list of people, and all is withn one mission, so not like mr. Codename 47. Total freedom to find the perfect killspot.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

How about a game where you play soccer - only you are the ball and have to find your way to the opponent goal without being kicked by the opposing team?

--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

How about a game where you manage the daily life of a corporate company, and you expand the building as you go along with new divisions - in a livig world, so you ahve to buy property, raw materials and employment - and still live within the company walls.

--Mark Twain
jayenkai
CWF's God of Freeware

Post by jayenkai »

Love the assassin idea! Would be nice as a thing in GTA V, maybe you head into their internet doohickey and find a list of folk to kill.. pick 'em off when/where you like for extra cash!
.. Yeah, that'd be nice.

.. I'm gonna be super-peed if that's not in there, now!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

How about a game, may be platformer or rpg (it must come from genre where you are usually "killed" many times before finishing game at last) with only one life; if you get killed game self-destructs and you must buy another copy to try again?
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

How about a game where you have to end the financial crisis, but can do it in quite different ways: economical, political or by starting a revolution?
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

How about a game belonging to all possible genres?Platformer/fpp when you move around the gameworld,rpg/Sims-like when you cope with everyday life-work,family etc.,driving sim,sex game,sport game etc.,everything with simplest possible interface.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

How about a game which has the pre-programmed mechanics, but all default visuals and sounds must be replaced by the player - backgrounds, sprites, animations, music, sfx. Only then he can run the game.