Space-sims

For general freeware discussion - not single games.

Moderator: Game Hunters

OSH
Patron

Space-sims

Post by OSH »

Well, if you are space-sims fan check this game:
http://www.oolite.org/

and this:

http://pioneerspacesim.net/

Both game are worth to playing and worth to place on the list here :)
Pozdrawiam serdecznie, OSH.
Amiga1200 E/BOX Tower, Apollo 1240/25 MHz 34 MB RAM, HDD 4,3 GB; LG10x30x40, A1200 E1230/40 18 MB RAM, CD-32+SX-1 10 MB RAM, A500, A600, C64,. C-64G C64+1541-II
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Re: Space-sims

Post by Drasir-Vel »

ohh yes. my favorite type of games.

I tried Oolite some time ago, and it was alright. It's a very solid Elite clone / space simulator, but it didn't feel interesting for long, maybe because it was a bit too barebone, with not really any content.

I think Pioneer is a great game, because of 2 things. 1: Very good randomly generated terain on the planets, and 2: it's realistic distances like in Orbiter. It's actually the first time i've seen those two things in the same game. Noctis has the procedurally generated content, and really good content i might say, but it's not that realistic, and it of course has the DOS resolution limitation.

Actually Pioneer is based off Orbiter if i remember correctly. So if you played Orbiter and thought it was just a jumble of complex documentation about retro-grade and pro-grade vectors and interplanetary slingshot jumps, or also if you actually got to figure it out and managed to establish orbit, you will find that this game is much simpler.

All the functions of your craft are accessible as buttons in the bottom of the HUD instead of some incredulous key you will have to alt-tab out to find in the manual because you forget it every time. You still need to read the manual though, to figure out the basic controls, and read what the different functions does.
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

I moved the topic to the Freeware debate forum. So now you can debate about all kind of space sims here. If you want to see one of the games on CWF, please open a topic for a single game in the freeware forum. It's impossible for us to handle otherwise. Sorry!

To say something about the games: "Oolite" looks absolutely amazing. "Elite" is still one of my all-time favorites and it looks like they created a pretty good clone with this game. I will really have to download it and try out if it plays as well as I hope it will.

About "Pioneer": I'm not sure if this is my kind of game. I didn't like "Orbiter" too much, mainly it was such a hardcore simulation, hard to handle in the beginning and there wasn't much content if you were looking for a story or for some action (I know that it wasn't meant to include these things). "Pioneer" looks similar, so I'm not too keen to give it a chance.
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
OSH
Patron

Post by OSH »

Pater, but Pioneer has nothing common with Orbiter! It's simply Frontier Elite II remake. In FEII was used other flight model as in ELITE - Newtonian, which is more realistic than arcade-style, which was used in ELITE.
Pozdrawiam serdecznie, OSH.
Amiga1200 E/BOX Tower, Apollo 1240/25 MHz 34 MB RAM, HDD 4,3 GB; LG10x30x40, A1200 E1230/40 18 MB RAM, CD-32+SX-1 10 MB RAM, A500, A600, C64,. C-64G C64+1541-II
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Then I might give it a try. Even if I liked the original "Elite" always better than any of the sequels.

Edit: And thank you for opening the threads in the freeware forum!
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]