Good relations between CWF and other freeware sites.

For general freeware discussion - not single games.

Moderator: Game Hunters

Maz
Admin emeritus

Good relations between CWF and other freeware sites.

Post by Maz »

Well well well... Last spring I tried to contact to various freeware web sites adminstrators. Rationale behind such an odd event is, that I feel world of freeware is quite shredded. There's all kind of small and larger communities, scattered around the web. I thought that some kind of co-operation would have been benefical to all of us...

Well, I received some replies and managed to really discuss with some of the admins. For example Rudy from Caiman (http://www.caiman.us ) was a really nice fellow, and I really liked his attitude :)

However, today I had a smallish drawback... I got banned from RetroRemakes forums... Here's the thread which resulted the ban:

http://www.retroremakes.com/forum2/show ... hp?t=11536

In my (admittably biased) opinion, I found RetroRemakes to be quite hostile place... I have often pondered how websites and the athmosphere develops to good or bad direction...

(For example in here:
http://curlysworldoffreeware.com/viewtopic.php?t=196
)

So, is it really impossible to bring the world of freeware together? Is there any way to make people to work together towards the common goal? What is wrong with us?
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I dont know what t say or think. I visited it yesterday, and it seems it got even more childish. What an unpolite comment to your post Maz.
But hey, they got one less visitor now from me. Too bad for them, since we do provide some links to them in our posts, and I wont do that from now on. If that is the level of maturity they can get to, then I dont want to point people there.
I really cant see why they reacted like they did to both of your posts. I truelly consider if I should take it up with them, but I am afraid I will just get a similar reply.

But then we know that they dont want cooperation.
In my case I am on a similar track as them. I dont want cooperation with them either now.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Post by Pater Alf »

Looking at the topic, I don't think there was any reason to ban you from the forum. You haven't been impolite or abusive (at least not more than they have been before) and it would have been more reasonable to react to your post in constructive way.

But it's true, RetroRemakes is a perfect example for a site where an inner circle of members got so much power (and is allowed to do everything they want, no matter if it complies with their own forum rules) that you don't feel welcome if you post there as a newbie.

But there are still nice members like smila and it's an important place if you want to look around for new projects and games in the retro community and want to get in touch with some of the developers (but best thing to do so is via PM or by posting in threads the developers created themselves for their games).
Jetstar
Tourist

Post by Jetstar »

We should lure Oddbob here and give him the boot right back.
"[i]The skyline was beautiful on fire.
All twisted metal stretching upwards.
Everything washed in a thin orange haze.[/i]"
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

The most amazing thing is how simple question about contact info is able to create chain-thread full of inside- and penis jokes. It's the first time I encountered such a frontal assault.

I'm not too oversensitive and generally I dont give a d**n to such replies, so for me issue is over. I consider the problem being on their side, not mine.

One question that drives me is what makes people so hostile towards newbies. Ive been part of OG (the abandonware site where we all started, Jetstar), which was a huge site with loads of new members every day in its golden years; admin who would have replied in a way Oddbob and others did would have been considered one of the first to fire out from crew. I guess being member of "established" site has nothing to do with being egocentric, it's just the matter of correct social behavior.

Do we have to talk about this unhappy event anymore? :D
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Some people are pricks. End of story.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Well put Scythe!

And in my oppinion we dont have to talk about this anymore. I think Maz opens up another subject which is about cooperation with other freewaresites. I think we could do well with that, but I think we need to figure out HOW to cooperate before we contact anybody about their willingness to do so.

Link exchange is just one way.
Our cooperation with Moshboy on Planet Freeplay is great, and we get a lot of good data and input from him.
Maybe an exchange of news would be cool too. If we post news and link to the source then more people might be happy to do the same for us. TIGsource is a great place to get news for example and that could be returned if we get our news section up and running. Maybe they will be more willing to cooperate if we point to their newssection often as an example.

Maybe we can work out some sort of brainstorm about HOW to cooperate. Any ideas?
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain