Game Reviews

For general freeware discussion - not single games.

Moderator: Game Hunters

-Slayer-

Game Reviews

Post by -Slayer- »

Hi,

I'm currently a reviewer at gamehippo.com (actually, the only active reviewer in the last few months...) and I came here through a link in the gamehippo forums. After looking around for a bit, I noticed in the "games" section, under "GH" that you "only accept games with high ratings".

It's a personal policy of mine that no matter how good a game is, it deserves the chance to gain awareness, especially so with freeware and independantly developed games. The creators have put time and effort into making the game, with no -real- benefit other than people experienceing their work, and it's only fair that on a site dedicated to hosting freeware games respects this.

If you don't like a game, don't give it a high rating, explain why you don't like it, but don't exclude it from allowing people to play it. It's the right of freeware and independant developers that their work is seen, no matter how good or bad you percieve it to be.

Other than that, nice site, good luck with it.

Edit: Sorry, this may have been placed in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it.
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Actually, we keep topics open for all reported freeware games, including download links (though they may eventually be outdated) - regardless of whether we decide to host them or not.

We always strive to leave feedback in our forums for all games that have been validated, including what's positive, even if they fail to pass validation. We will happily discuss any freeware game in the freeware forum, regardless of quality.

Our decision is merely that we will conserve our bandwidth, meaning host, games that we find to be of overall "good quality", those that our validation team gives an above average rating.

The decision to host only what we deem "quality" may well seem elitist, but it's our goal to be a cut above in every respect. Also, I would like to say that we encourage any and all freeware, regardless of our own personal opinion on specific games.
-Slayer-

Post by -Slayer- »

I guess that's fair enough...
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

Welcome Slayer!

And what Scythe said is 100% true. We do respect all freeware creators, but since we cannot hos all freeware games (server space does cost), we must judge somehow what to host, and what not.

Anyways, I'm glad to read an opinion with explanation why someone has such an opinion :)
-Slayer-

Post by -Slayer- »

Perhaps not hosting the files locally, but providing a link to lower rated games?
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

We do have links on the forum, but I am unwilling to create links to other sites on our mainsite. Reason is that I really cannot keep pollimg whether other sites are up & running after a week, a month, an year... And nothing gives as bad image for website as broken links..
-Slayer-

Post by -Slayer- »

Heh... I know the feeling. Gamehippo, at the moment, has gone through an admin change. New guy hasn't done anything, and it's been over a year. Currently, the only people who can fix broken links are the original reviewer and the admin. And there are alot of broken links...

So yeah, I'm trying to fight for the life of Gamehippo, but it's a losing battle. I think we get at least 1 "broken link" report every week, and it's so frustrating that I have no way to fix it.
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Indeed. Right now, we're very "hands on", or at least some of the people are, so we're trying hard to keep everything working and to push for the site to grow and develop. It has already been through host crises and constant under-staffing, and it's good to see it coming into its own (still far to go, though).

But every site must maintain fresh blood and active administration or eventually turn stagnant. It's always good to get input from others, especially those not directly involved with the site's development. I can certainly see where you're coming from with the opinion you brought up initially.

This site was started, though, with the express purpose of hosting only "quality" freeware - there are many places for all the freeware you could want, so we focus on games that we would feel happy recommending... the ones that, to us, stand out. In our forums, however, there is no limit to what can be discussed when it comes to freeware (and many other topics).

Oh, and pardon my lack of manners, welcome, and I hope that you'll stay and contribute, in whatever way you like. :)
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Hi -Slayer-. :D

Main advantage of having only quality games on site is that anonymous gamer visiting site doesnt have to dig hundreds of crappy games in search for one gem that will please him. Sure, some good games were probably dumped and some average were probably uploaded. "Quite good" and "average" are just my personal opinions though and everyone can have his own. You, other CWF validators, game creators. What we do here and what you do at gamehippo is collective work and the results of such work are always arguable and quality can have 100 different meanings, depending on your age, gaming experience, your likes, dislikes and daily mood.

As a man I can admire every game project and effort put into it. I cant code and consider coders to be evil magicians (just look at Maz's avatar :ninja: ), I cant draw too well and I'm not good in making music also. I tried to make a game myself some years ago (with AGS) and I know it's a pain to make even small first steps. As a gamer though I need QUALITY. As a gamer I dont want to hear how long it took to finish the game, how low were creator's skills, how painful whole process was and how happy he is that his name is on the title screen of computer game. 101% of gamers searching for freeware games dont care also. They want great graphics, great sound and great playability. Nothing more.

There are so many sites out there that are painful to browse, because they're like box of chocolates - you never know what youll taste next and will you like it. Some (like gamehippo fe) have reviews, but majority dont. Entering the site you are presented with tens or hundreds mysteriously looking (if youre not into freeware world) games, most often crappy flash bejeweled, tetris or bomberman clones. I know pretty well how painful it is - atm I am searching for good freeware chess program. Type "freeware+chess" in google and find really good program. Impossible. We, at CWF, try to create the place where gamers dont have such problems. They enter the site and know what will find here.

As for games that are not hosted on our site - they can be always mentioned in our forums. What's more important, it works the other way around. Games that are submitted in freeware forum are ALWAYS played and rated by our team, no matter how bad the game looks at first sight. Everyone (including the creator) can submit the game, let the world know that it exists and await validation. Will it be rated high enough to get to the site? See first paragraph. We're only people. 8)

As for your site, now I know why it is updated so slowly. That's a pity, especially because I started downloading freeware games from your site as one of the first and considered it to be at the forefront of freeware gaming sites. I knew of admin (owner?) change and that new one plans to change something...? Site's profile or sth... Gossips from some forums... Good there's someone trying to keep the site alive. :goodjob:

Btw, topic moved. :hijack:
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
-Slayer-

Post by -Slayer- »

Well, I understand your position now, it makes sense from that angle. I do agree that most freeware gaming sites are hard to navigate, but that's mostly due to the lack of reviews, just a short description with no opinion or reasoning...

The new owner keeps reminding us that big things are indeed comming, and I believe him, but I fear many others don't. At least those annoying ads got taken down recently, which shows things are actualy being done.

I just wish the other dudes with the power to review would do something, lazy bunch of... Anyway, that's all :D.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

As the other part of the admin pair in here, and the actual owner I think I have been in contact with more developers than many other gamers visiting this site. I feel a deep respect for their work and have really found an interest in this field much bigger than when we started. I think they all deserve their games mentioned, but so far they haven't known too much about our site and hence have not added their own games here for advertising it or simply making yet another place link to their site. They are indeed free to do so.
As I pay the bills for this site, I can tell you that there is no free games on this site for me. :D But that is also one of the reasons that we want quality (in our oppinion)...And it seems now I am just repeating what everyone else said, so.....What they said...Me too! :D
Should you ever run out of things to do on Gameehippo (a site I respect a lot) then know there is always a place open here). Or if you just get bored and feel like doing more work :D.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain