Questions to ask gamedevelopers when interviewed

For general freeware discussion - not single games.

Moderator: Game Hunters

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Questions to ask gamedevelopers when interviewed

Post by Chroelle »

Well I put this in here, becauce I felt it was a bit broader than the other very specific thread.

Which should be our CLASSIC questions (we will ask any developer these questions):

- Tell us more about yourself - how old are you, where do you live, what do you do for a living? (one of these basic interview questions)

- When did you start playing games? Do you have any fond memories of those times and did you decide to make a game of your own because of some of them?

- Were you a big fan of a particular game that might have put you on to making this game or did you just like games in general?

- Did you ever have crisis where you almost decided to make commercial games instead of freeware?

- What made you decide that you wanted to make freeware instead of commercial games?

- Have you considered making commercial games?

- If you were to make a commercial game (however cheap or expensive) what kind of game would you make? And inspired by what?

- Did you work alone or with more people?
(If with other people)
- Being the leader of a group of volunteers can be frustrating as you can´t really demand anything from them, since they are there of their own free will. How do you motivate the people making the game?

- Was the game ever in danger of not being published? Why? And at what state?

- What specific tech side of making a game is the hardest (to find people for)? (Music, Graphics, storyline, translation, etc.)

- Did any sacrifices have to be made with the content?

- Where did you find the will to power through this consuming job? Did the fans help or was it just sheer willpower?

- Will you keep working on the game or have we seen the last version of it.

- What will be your next game/remake?

- Where do you see yourself 5 years from now regarding gamemaking?

- Any words for other freeware game developers?

- Any favourite freeware games we should know about?

- If you were to mention a GOD of freeware, who would that be?

- What are you currently working on?

- Have you ever heard of CWF's developer help project?

- CWF's dev help project aims to be a 'bridge' between freeware developers and people interested in participating creating freeware games. If you needed more helpers, would you consider opening a thread in CWF, telling which kind of help you need?

- If you could choose to do a freeware game with any gamedeveloper (freeware or commercial) who would it be?

These are some suggestions to begin work on, and we can always do a second interview with a developer. Most developers are more than willing to answer questions on their games. I have a few lined up to be first in line, but I of course need to be ready to both send and receive the answers.

The first couple of guys I was thinking of (by game):
- Rooms
- The spirit engine
- Stranded

I think we have something almost ready for a release version 1.0.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

It would be cool if people could look this over again, as I am going to do some interviews again.

If anyone has any wishes (or ideas) for developer-interviews please let me know.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain