Interesting games with technical problems

For general freeware discussion - not single games.

Moderator: Game Hunters

Pater Alf
The Steel Spine of GameHunters

Interesting games with technical problems

Post by Pater Alf »

I open this thread following an idea of eMTe in the "Game hunter squads forum"...

In this thread you can post infos about games that you think might be worth playing but doesn´t run correctly on your own computer.
This way you can inform other members about interesting games and if they like they can look at them and open an own thread in the feeware forum.

UFO: Alien Invasion
The Castles of Dr. Creep
Albatross 18: Season 2
Hauser The Hound
Epee
Zombies
Bear Go Home
Tempo
Vektor Space
Propero
Kleptocracy
PHLOP
FlightGear
BEMPU
FreeDroid Classic
Aquadelic GT
Hexcentric
Cityban
Fiend
Cartouche
Mad Truckers
Jello Car
Orbit Hopper
Vampire Blaze
Sushi! Waxy's Sushi Party
Last edited by Pater Alf on Sat Mar 10, 2007 15:28, edited 2 times in total.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

UFO: Alien Invasion

"UFO: ALIEN INVASION is a strategy game featuring tactical combat against hostile alien forces which are about to infiltrate earth at this very moment. You are in command of a small special unit which has been founded to face the alien strike force. To be successful on the long run, you will also have to have a research team study the aliens and their technologies in order to learn as much as possible about their technology, their goals and the aliens themselves.

'UFO: Alien Invasion' is heavily inspired by the 'X-COM' series by Mythos and Microprose. The first game of the series, 'UFO DEFENSE', became a classic and, in our honest opinion, is one of the best games ever made.
'UFO: Alien Invasion' is neither a sequel nor a remake of 'UFO DEFENSE' - we simply had the urge to create a similar strategy game, which will hopefully be as entertaining as the original was for the players (and for the developers, of course ;) )." (Infos taken from official homepage)

Link: http://www.ufoai.net/

Download size: 247 MB

Technical Problem: Starting the game I always get the error message: Couldn´t register window class
Attachments
UFO03.jpg
UFO03.jpg (29.62 KiB) Viewed 29104 times
UFO02.jpg
UFO02.jpg (30.74 KiB) Viewed 29104 times
UFO01.jpg
UFO01.jpg (24.24 KiB) Viewed 29104 times
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Link was dead but I found a sourceforge site about it. Will download and report back.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

The link worked fine yesterday. I took the infos and the screenshots from this side. Strange!?!
[quote="eMTe"]I dont think trying to pass the screen in computer game once per 500 tries makes you a geek. Rather a dangerous psychopath.[/quote]
Tank
[insert custom title here]

Post by Tank »

Chroelle wrote:Link was dead but I found a sourceforge site about it. Will download and report back.
Link working again... or still? :roll:
German Moderator and Game Hunter Trainee.
Enjoy your stay.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I think we should just make this a general thread. Would you do the honors PA? I got it working and if you are the only one having issues, then we should simply make a note of that, and maybe look for a solution to post in the tech help thread...

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

If you think the game is worth playing I will open a thread for it. But I will keep this thread anyway. I have some more games with technical problems and I will post about them here.

Don´t want to open threads for games that might be crap...
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Oh it is definently worth it! But please do keep the thread. I think the games can be moved out whenever someone has tried them out and decided they should have a thread, but please remember to mention who recommended it first...

--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Streets of Rage remake.

http://www.bombergames.net/sorr_e.htm

Tried several times from various sources. Cant download it.

Size: circa 72 Mb

I think instead of writing full description here we should just post links and short info. Then, if game is worth trying and someone succeeds with download it can be submitted in freeware forum. No need to do the job twice, especially if game is not worth it...
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

But short description and at least one screenshot may attract the interest of other members and so they migt be more willing to look at the game. If we open an own thread afterwards it´s no work to copy the information into the new thread...

I will look at "Streets of Rage Remake"!
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Download worked fine for me and game is worth playing. There´s even a cool 2-player mode (might be a bit hard to play with two players on one keyboard but still fun).

So I think you can open an own thread for this one (I can do it as well, but I don´t know if you prefer to do it yourself).

I will upload the game to our FTP server tomorrow, so maybe you can download it there...
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Just rememeber to make it an In developement thread, since it isn't done yet.... :D

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

I don´t think it belongs into the "In Development" forum. As far as I can see (and what I can read on their homepage and in their forum) it´s a complete game which was released in January 2007.

They are currently working on a new version, but that´s more of an update and we could tell people about that in the normal "Freeware" forum.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

http://www.kaleth.net/bombergames_forum ... 3755#33755

It says that stuff like AI is not done... I think it sounded like it is in development, but I believe you if you say it at least feels done. I haven't tried it yet, so it can be there is a lack of updates or edits in the thread...

--Mark Twain
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

The Castles of Dr. Creep

This was one of my favorites game on the C64. I´d really like to see the PC remake of it, but unfortunately it doesn´t work on my computer... :(

"Escape from a castle full of mummies and zombies. The aim of this game is to escape from a castle full of mortel traps. There are a choice of different castles with mummies and zombies waiting in their tombs to catch you..."

Developer: Ed Hobbs

Download link: http://www.pcauthority.com.au/download/ ... creep.aspx (also in my folder on the FTP server)

Download size: 1.5 MB

Year: 2005
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Albatross18: Season Two (I wonder if Season One exists).

300 Mb of trouble. Cant say much about the game except what review says and what I see on screens... Looks cool.

http://www.freegame.cz/game.php?id=6709

edit:

Here's more about the game, known everywhere outside US as PangYa:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PangYa

Check external links on bottom of the site.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

PangYa (Korean: 팡야, lit. "Bang!"), is an online multiplayer casual golf simulation game designed by a Korean development company, Ntreev Soft and published by Korean online game publisher HanbitSoft.
I am not sure if this qualifies after a quick read...? Please prove me wrong as it looks very good indeed and we really need a good golf-game.

--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Uh...this is indeed multiplayer-only game. I was in a hurry...

Here's the singleplayer one, refuses to work. Just black screen and quits to windows after a few seconds.

HAUSER THE HOUND

Hauser the Hound is a single-player physics-based side-scrolling adventure game based in four unique and engaging worlds. Players compete for high scores in an arcade style environment. Each world subjects the player to different settings, atmospheres, and enemies.

Project site with screenshots:

http://www.digipen.edu/GameGallery/websites/Hauser/

Developer: DigiPen Institute

Download:

http://www.digipen.edu/GameGallery/webs ... r/play.htm

Oh, and it requires 2.4 gHz processor... I hav 1.7. :D
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Hauser works fine for me. Don't worry, you're not missing the greatest of games - I'm guessing it still awaits a good deal of polishing.
Pater Alf

Post by Pater Alf »

Épée

"Some of us at Absurdus are big fans of fencing and have always been saddened by the lack of good fencing video games.

Épée is a small experiment in that area. Although it's certainly not like the real thing, we find it quite amusing!"

Game is from the developers of "Eye of the Kraken" and sounds and looks quite interesting, but everytime when I start fencing I get an error: "Runtime error 1507 - Display using 32 bit is not supported by available hardware at line 239"

Download: http://www.absurdus.net/epee/game.html
Attachments
Épéé.01.jpg
Épéé.01.jpg (24.59 KiB) Viewed 29008 times