WinXP Tech Help

Had your computer crash on you, or a website shows wrong, or your printer went dead on you? Come on in...

Moderator: Crew

Ogre

WinXP Tech Help

Post by Ogre »

Hi guys,

I know there is one other related thread in this forum but I thought it might be a good idea for all the Win XP stuff to be in one place. If more questions are added later, I can edit this post and make an index of them to make things a bit easier...

My question is:

Is there an easy way to find out how much memory my graphics card has?

Cheers :mrgreen:
"There are two ways to live your life
One is as though nothing is a miracle
The other is as though everything is a miracle"
-Albert Einstein
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Yes, there's an easy way. Right click somewhere on the desktop. Choose 'Properties'. When the Display Settings window comes up, choose 'Settings' tab. Click the 'Advanced' Button'. Then choose the 'Adapter' Tab, and it should show you all the info you need about your graphics card.

Hope this helps.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Lex
Tourist

Post by Lex »

Perfectly fine method. Just to add, for more system information:

Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Information

For Display simply expand "components" and hit display ;)

If you want to make it shorter and sweeter:

Start --> Run --> Msinfo32

Enjoy ;)
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Thanks for the tips gents,

The result: a humble 1MB.
...but it's not the size that matters....it's how you use it....right? :mrgreen:
-Albert Einstein
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Yup, that's right. I had a 75MHz Pentium laptop for a long time with 1 MB of Video RAM. I could play SimCity 3000 on it and Railroad Tycoon II, among other things. Toshibas are good. :D
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
mistergreen77
Tycoon

Post by mistergreen77 »

Want to know everything about your graphics card? Start->Run->dxdiag and click the Display tab. You will find who makes it, what model, chipset, memory etc.
[size=84][color=green]“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler.”[/color] - Einstein

[color=green]“There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.”[/color] - Nietzsche[/size]

:twisted: [url=http://forum.connect-webdesign.dk/viewtopic.php?p=5411#5411]Society of Sinister Minds.[/url]
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Thanks MrG! :)

I have another question guys:

How do I find out the address, IRQ and DMA for my sound card?

Actually, I already know the IRQ setting from:

System Properties, Hardware Tab....Device Manager...
Sound, video and game controllers...then double click my sound card name to open its properties box, then the Resources tab.
But it says nothing about the address or DMA?

Cheers
-Albert Einstein
mistergreen77
Tycoon

Post by mistergreen77 »

irq is easy - but the real question is if you are not using win32 system why would you need to know the dma channel? irq is important because you you don't want devices you use at the same time to use the same irq but why would you need to know dma? My guess is DMA channel 4. If you are trying to run old games though then use vdmsound or dosbox.
[size=84][color=green]“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler.”[/color] - Einstein

[color=green]“There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.”[/color] - Nietzsche[/size]

:twisted: [url=http://forum.connect-webdesign.dk/viewtopic.php?p=5411#5411]Society of Sinister Minds.[/url]
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

There are a few games I just can't get to work with either VDMSound or dosbox and also some that work for a while then close inexplicably whilst playing (usually just after I start really enjoying the game. ;)).
I had a hunch that the problem might be due to incorrect soundcard detection and that was the main reason for my question. But I could be wrong - I don't really know much at all about running DOS based stuff through XP.
-Albert Einstein