Overwriting an admin-code on UBUNTU

Had your computer crash on you, or a website shows wrong, or your printer went dead on you? Come on in...

Moderator: Crew

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Overwriting an admin-code on UBUNTU

Post by Chroelle »

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding the Linux distribution called Ubuntu.

I have gotten an old laptop from the school I work on, and I was told that I could have it if I could figure a way to get past the admin password. It has an older version of Ubuntu installed on it, but I want to install a later version (I think I need a total format of the harddrive and reinstallation of Ubuntu on it). I have very little insight into the world of Linux, and Ubuntu seems like a good choice to go with, so that is what I want on the laptop. BUT I need some way of bypassing the constant popping up admin key-ring thingy.

ANYONE? :idea:
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Re: Overwriting an admin-code on UBUNTU

Post by Zyx »

Unless the laptop has anything you need, you can safely install a new version which will overwrite the whole installation. If it's not too old and supports booting from an USB device, you can just download the latest version on an USB stick and you're good to go. If not, you need to burn the installer on a CD.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I tried the USB solution shortly after posting the first post, but absolutely nothing happened when I inserted it... I have nothing on the laptop that I cant get back in 10 minutes. So basically I want to wipe it and install a fresh Ubuntu. It seems I need to burn it onto a CD. I will be back with feedback. I simply need to insert the CD during startup right? Nothing fancy cody there right?
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Post by Drasir-Vel »

Yes, insert the CD and restart. Then it should load the CD at startup. If it doesn't, there may be a key you need to press at startup to go into the selection menu where you can choose to start from the CD. It may say something at startup like "F10 for boot selection menu".
The standard Ubuntu installation should be straightforward, but you may still run into problems.