!!!

Had your computer crash on you, or a website shows wrong, or your printer went dead on you? Come on in...

Moderator: Crew

eMTe
Cyberflaneur

!!!

Post by eMTe »

My Gmail account behaved weirdly. I just checked it and found ALL messages, both sent and received, but only the ones done before 11th April 2010 in the dumpster. Not that I am particularly attached to electronic messages and in fact I would dump all of them with one click, but this is simply weird. I never had trouble with Google Mail.

Anything important happened in 11th April 2010? Can it be some hacker attack?
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Re: !!!

Post by Zyx »

Hmm... are you sure that you have not accessed your Gmail account using some e-mail client who decides that deleting messages after exactly 1,5 years is a really good idea? I don't think anything special happened on that date and that behavior does not really sound like works of a hacker.

There have been some high-profile hacking cases against Google and internet forums and what not. I really recommend using Google's 2-factor authentication, because passwords are a broken security method. Sure, it's a bit of a hassle setting up the application passwords and all that but with all the hacking going around...

My first guess is on using an e-mail client that automatically deletes all messages, though.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

I restored the order.

The most important thing Ive just discovered. Being in a hurry I made a crucial mistake in my post which actually changes the whole discussion. I was thinking of writing something and ended writing the completely reversed sentence. Messages older than 12th April stayed while those done after were moved to the trash. In other words, I checked Gmail yesterday's evening and found that the newest message I have in my "received" folder is from 11th April 2010!

Ive never used any email client, I always log in via browser.

Another suspicious fact Ive discovered when checking mail yesterday that date on my computer was set to 13th December instead of November, making Gmail Notifier unable to access account.

This is all plain weird.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. It might all have something to do with your computers internal clock. Look over tech help forum (for my thread)if I dont find it first.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Could be, but how the problem with clock can relate to the problem with messages deletion? I remember finding the windows clock and calendar screwed up a couple of times, but never this affected my mail account. Besides, how?
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I actually had a problem with all the mails on our computer when it happened to me. It seemed the mailprogram used the computers internal clock and as such only showed me mails that corrosponded with the clocktime and date. I seem to remember having to download something (perhaps a driver of sorts) to sort the problem.
I tried searching for the post I made but couldn't find it.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

There's a small difference between "not showing" and "moving to trash folder". Besides, the calendar advanced one month while the posts which were moved to trash were from the 12th April 2010 - 12 November 2011 period.

I am almost sure that this is some sort of system/account related problem, but on the other hand it would be so funny to find out that I am actually a victim of a carefully camouflaged sabotage like I wrote yesterday to Zyx and you guys just play your parts now... ;)