Problem running old game on Windows 7

Had your computer crash on you, or a website shows wrong, or your printer went dead on you? Come on in...

Moderator: Crew

Chillum
Legend

Problem running old game on Windows 7

Post by Chillum »

Hi there

I've tried to post this on another forum, but with no help so far.. So I figured that you guys know a lot about computers aswell, so here goes:

On my old computer I purchased Risk II from Trymedia Games.. Back then I was running Windows XP, and I used an old laptop (It was already outdated when I bought it back in 2006), and the game was running fine back then...
Now I've bought a new computer. The specifications of it are: Medion Akoya P6620 Laptop | Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit | 2,26GHz Intel Core i3-350M | NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M (512 MB) | 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM. This should be way more than enough to run this game..
But when I start the game, it shows a developers logo screen, and after that it's supposed to show the main menu of the game. But when that intro screen fades out, it freezes at almost completely black screen (I can just see a hinch of that developers logo). The main menu music starts, though, and I can click the buttons (I can't see them, but I can hear a sound when I hit them). If I minimize the game, and go back into it, then I can see the main menu, and the music is still running.. If I press a button, though, it freezes again, and I have to minimize and maximize the game again and again all the time to see the next screen..
I've tried to update my graphics drivers, and I've tried to run the game in both Win 98, 2000, XP SP2, XP SP3 and Vista compability mode, with the same result every time..

What should I do? :/
[u][b][color=indigo]:Givemebeer:....................It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's.....................:Givemebeer:[/color][/b][/u]
[img]http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/3111/banner4gl.gif[/img]

Be sure to check [color=blue][b][url=http://www.lost.eu/336d9]this one[/url][/b][/color] out!
Drasir-Vel
[insert custom title here]

Re: Problem running old game on Windows 7

Post by Drasir-Vel »

My experience tells me, it doesn't matter to have updated drivers and OS if you have an old game. If it was for DOS, then no problem, you could just emulate it it. But when it was made for an older version of windows, it can be a little cringy.
There's also something that tells me newer drivers aren't as compatible with older games as the older drivers.