Railwaymodeler's Computer Site

Had your computer crash on you, or a website shows wrong, or your printer went dead on you? Come on in...

Moderator: Crew

Railwaymodeler
Legend

Railwaymodeler's Computer Site

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Ihave my own site, www.computersystemrebuild.com that I use for my computer sales work here in the Chicago area.

I was wanting to know what you all thought of the design. I know that as of the last update, the link button for the shopping cart got accidentally changed. (It should show 'Shopping', NOT shop.html).

This is probably because being a niche computer field, the site has to be low budget, and I use a freeware shopping cart utility from download.com, and it does not seem to import into frontpage as it should (or as it is advertised as it should). Usually this also means I have to fix the images every time I update the shopping cart, so updates are only done once every couple weeks (for my own sanity reasons)

What I would like to do someday, is barcode all the machines, and have some interface between them and the site, so that if I scan the barcode (I already have the hardware for this) it will bring up the info on that machine, and I can either add or remove it from the site automatically. A friend and I are toying with the idea right now. Too lofty, maybe, but it sure would be efficent.

Anyway, let me know if you like the layout and general design too.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Actually I can't help feel there is some connection between the design of this site and one of the Transport Tycoon homepages I visited at some point... I can't seem to find the link so that I can say which one...
Other than that it looks good, but also I stumbled across some sale-pitches in there. The way you describe this:

In this system you have a powerful 600 megahertz Celeron processor...

I stumbled across those words a couple of times and couldn't help thinking ... how powerful does a computer have to be to be called powerful...?
I mean I'm running a 1500+ machine and some of the newer games I can't run properly...
Other than that the design looks fine. Not mindblowing but functional.

It could be spiced up a bit more, but also the theme of the site is not hardcore-hi-tech and such. It is, reliable, functional, and prizefriendly... You come of showing that I think.

Hope this isn't to harsh. Hope you see it as functional feedback.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

Design is clear and good. Colors are neutral and non disturbing :)

I personally would have used a bit stronger (bolder perhaps) font to make some chapters to pop out, but generally I liked the design.

For adverticing purposes I would probably add Doctype to the source as well as Description/Abstract metatags.

Thumbs up mate :)
Railwaymodeler
Legend

Post by Railwaymodeler »

@Chroelle,

I actually take a lot of what you say as a compliement. Bear in mind that it is not just a sales site, but a sales aide and tool for local sales that will be completed in person, and in a poorer area like around here, many people still have Pentium I systems, and would like something, anything, better. I honestly can't recommend a P4 for those with limited budgets, due to the fact that I have to repair a LOT, and I mean a LOT of P4s with fried boards, CPUs, or PSUs (eMachines are very bad for the PSUs I find, Dell makes bad boards, with bad capacitors on them.) P3s and equivelent Celerons, on the other hand, are very stable, and with Windows 2000 on them, will last a long, long time.

I opted for a simple, clean design for my site, I didn't want it to look too high tech or anything. I felt the blocks theme looked great.

Thanks for the (So far) functional review, that's what I was hoping for. I want it to reflect my product line, not fancy and all show, but steady and functional.
Without trains America Stops- Support Amtrak

Old trains never die. They just sit in ruin and wait until the day they are taken in by a skilled craftsman and rebuilt to their former glory.