The story of my webpage.

Had your computer crash on you, or a website shows wrong, or your printer went dead on you? Come on in...

Moderator: Crew

Chroelle
Admin emeritus

The story of my webpage.

Post by Chroelle »

Well I started out making a webdesign company and that lead to me buying a webhotel. When rumors came up about the old forum at Oldgames.nu coming down, a couple of Danish members and I decided to make a forum. This forum.

Monteque and I started setting a forum up, and soon that lead to thoughts of a freeware-games site with more user interaction and user-say. This is the next project we are working on.

I am still running my webdesign company, and don't concider stopping yet. This forum will also be used to get freelancers for that company.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

errmm... I do not know how busy/skilled/.../... you are... (that skilled does not mean I do not trust at your skills, on the contrary it means that since I am really a beginner with php [C/C++ are more of my field], I'm not sure if I can help you...)

Damn. The feeling of making a mistake with my placing of words that stroke me when I started to talk about skills... It spoiled the whole fun! Now you already know that I was going to ask if you need help... Anyways, as I told, I am not too experienced, I have found a phpbb forum for my workplace, and modified it to suit our purposes, but I did not pay much attention on security etc, since it is secured with .htaccess... And that project has just been a minor goal for me, so I have not done too much for it...

Anyways, I took part to one certain project some time ago, and started to do a script for that project... And I think it might suit for your purposes too... perhaps... Problem is that if you're in hurry, I cannot help much since I am wery busy atm... But I can try to find some time to do some minor tasks if needed :)

Anyways I have been babbling for long enough, sorry for exhausting your valuable time like that... I promise that won't happen again ;) And I feel it's an honour that you let a completely stranger to steal that much of your time...
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Ah... That's nice and respectful :D

Actually a lot of users steal much of my time in here, but not if I don't want them to :D

Always a pleasure reading long posts with content...(not about dragons :D)
I'm still trying to guess who Fadedmind is... I'm at a complete loss...

But we can maybe need some help in here. About my skills.... I'm not an expert on anything really and I don't try to come of as one. My webdesign company is stricktly for those less skilled than myself, than don't even know where to start making a homepage. Most of them are actually relations from RL or sent to me by mutual friends. They wouldn't even know to search for webdesign companies. They would propably search for homepages if they tried....Ending up with quite a few hits :D

--Mark Twain
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

errrmmm... In fact... I just noticed I did post in wholly wrong section :/

meant to offer my help for this particular effort (this site)... :D
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

maz maz he's that shadow, if its not I am sorry but that shadowy look that you have makes me think you are :D

anyway on with my post.

I personally am a sucker for well designed, well layedout pages, but then again doing two graphic design courses makes me that way :p I do however not mind poorly layed out pages as long as navigation is there, thats the story of my websites, I start off with navigation, how each page will lead to the others, which order links should go in and such and then decide upon a design. Its all well and good having a nicely design site, but if a user doesn't have a clue about where the links are then it doesn't really do its job...at the end of the day a website is there to provide information and show off the buisness/person the way they need to be shown off. If it doesn't reflect the buisness by giving the information that is required then all the sparly goodness of the best designed site is short lived.

I know I am making very little sense but I just felt like adding my own little bit to this little thread. and good luck with your buisness I'm sure as time goes on you'll learn all you need to know to keep it floating...your friends have friends who have friend and so on so a good reccomendation here and there and you will be flying :D
Maz
Admin emeritus

Post by Maz »

Maz?? Who's Maz?

I'm fadedmind. My nick comes from fadedmind.no-ip.info which is usually unavailable... Since I tend to close my computer occasionally, and my dear girlfriend likes windows :|
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Actually I felt like I needed to explain more about my webdesign company, especially after readin through what I wrote in the first post.

My webdesign company: www.connect-webdesign.dk is actually build on the concept that lots of people have a small firm that they don't advertise. Read private small personal companies. Like a friend of mine is a caterer and he only advertises through mouth to ear concept. His costumers have to get a hold of him and he has to send them some documents before they actually know what he can do, and so.
Another person makes jewels on a hobby-basis and don't know how to make a website about it, so she gets a hold of me and I do that for her, so her clients can see her products online, and be updated when she does something new.
Another client makes weddingdresses and childrensclothes, still on a hobby basis, but she is good! She advertises her clothes through a restaurant in her city, which is way out in the countryside. She has costumers in Copenhagen, but they have to make a 2 hour drive to see her skills. She don't know how to make a website and that is where I come in.
My prices are the lowest on the Danish market, and therefor I don't care too much if I use Frontpage or whatever program gets the job done. The customer don't even know the program Frontpage and wouldn't know code if it hit them in the forehead - and they are just as well without knowing. I don't cheat them and use CMS solutions to make the product and I don't show myself as something I am not. People know they are getting a product that fulfills their wishes and at a cost that there budget can take.

I'm cheap and I am not top-quality and they know. But I get the job done, and if they wan't some special features that I can't make for them, then I pay some of my friends to do them, and still I earn money, and my friends earn money and the costumer gets what they want and everybody is happy.

I hope that you know what I mean by these things. It is simply branching of knowhow. They do what they are good at, and I do what I am good at.

And if anybody out there knows something about coding and would like to earn an extra buck from time to time, feel free to contact me. :mrgreen:
Or if you know of somebody in your circle of aquaintances that need a HP please feel free to contact me. If it is in a foreign language then there is a bonus for whoever helps me translate...
My prizes can be seen on the HP but it is in Danish. Feel free to comment on it, but I don't want any comments like:
"Oh...Why did you use Frontpage"
Because you can read my reasons higher up in this post.

--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Just wanted to add a couple more clients to the list:

I got a designer of weddinggowns, baby clothes and regular clothes in too.

I got a psycho analyst in, and she is one of my current projects, even though I have no info from her yet. She should be done pretty quickly and she will be the one to finance this webpage so far. IF I get the amount I am going for...

--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Ok. The customer rate is going down, sinceI dont put much effort into advertising the webdesign company. I was asked howcome I needed webdesigners for CWF, when I had my own webdesign company... Well I have a hobby company. If you look over what I have done so far, then it is all HTML and Frontpage. I use Paint for my graphical images, and in general I dont do that pretty stuff. :D

I did however add in there that I cooperate with Project Wonderful (www.Projectwonderful.com) now and I also added a reference link to my webhotel host. Let me know if you need a good host :D. The reference link might make the site some money. Although of course I do plan on changing host soon, as CWF cannot fit on the current hotel long.
But go look at my website (It is in Danish :D) Www.connect-webdesign.dk

--Mark Twain
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Wow it has been a while since I updated this. Boy oh boy did I have customers since last. I made a site for a dogkennel:
www.milumasmastiff.dk

Amongst others a request for a logo...The name is translated "In Good Hands". It is a physiotherapist.
http://www.connect-webdesign.dk/Referen ... /index.htm

I also made a site for ordering groceries online for elderly people:
http://connect-webdesign.dk/Referencer/ ... /index.htm

You can see them all here:
http://connect-webdesign.dk/Referencer.htm

And I just finished up on this:
http://connect-webdesign.dk/Referencer/alanya-home.dk/
Which is a site about buying and leasing condos and houses in Turkey.

I am hoping to get some quiet time for a month or so now, but lets see if I wont get a customer more soon.
Right now I am just pretty happy that I got this last one off my desk.

--Mark Twain