Another freeware page

Had your computer crash on you, or a website shows wrong, or your printer went dead on you? Come on in...

Moderator: Crew

moshboy

Another freeware page

Post by moshboy »

As I'm sure a lot of you already know (since most of you seem to be former OG members) my homepage is another freeware games page called Planet Freeplay (www.planetfreeplay.com).

It is really nice to see another freeware gaming site up that is actually made by people that I know - I am really looking forward to seeing what is done with the page.

Unfortunately due to the sheer amount of work I have to do on my own site (you may have noticed that I recently passed 1,000 games listed on my site, not to mention all the interviews I have lined up)and various other activites, I probably won't have an awful lot of time to participate here (I will try to help out wherever I can, such is my love for the freeware gaming scene in general) but when your page is more fully developed, I would certainly be interested in a link exchange (if you are at all thinking of doing any).

I can suggest a lot of games to add here, since I live and breathe them non-stop.
Chillum
Legend

Post by Chillum »

It would be great if you would post your absolutely favourites in a thread in the Freeware forum.. Since my job is to test them, and accept them, we only want THE BEST! ;)

BTW, I think I've seen your site before, but I didn't knew it was yours! Great site! ;) :goodjob:

Aaand of course - Welcome to the site!
[u][b][color=indigo]:Givemebeer:....................It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's.....................:Givemebeer:[/color][/b][/u]
[img]http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/3111/banner4gl.gif[/img]

Be sure to check [color=blue][b][url=http://www.lost.eu/336d9]this one[/url][/b][/color] out!
Monteque
Tycoon

Post by Monteque »

Great site there Moshboy... :D :D
[img]http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/5705/sig2rose5ju.jpg[/img]
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Re: Another freeware page

Post by eMTe »

Hi moshboy. 8)

Ive visited your site many times and have even downloaded some games - nice selection. There's not many spectacular hits, but all games Ive downloaded are at least above average and that's what differs your site from thousands of similar freeware sites, often full of c..p. 8)
moshboy wrote:but when your page is more fully developed, I would certainly be interested in a link exchange (if you are at all thinking of doing any).
Hmmm... You have lots of games but no forum and reviews system (dont know if you plan to make any of these), we have forum, we plan to allow submitting reviews, but we dont have too many games atm... Surely some link exchange could be useful for both sites in future... ;)
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

I would certainly be interested in a link exchange (if you are at all thinking of doing any).
That will certainly be an option :D
We would be glad to. Actually we might be able to make some sort of cooperation. Feel free to use this site as much as you can. Also you can maybe lead members to the forum. And we would love it if you could tell us about some of the greatest games on your site. We don't have the serverspace YET to host a bundle of games, but we would be happy to have the best of the best. Also, we could maybe do reviews on some of the games that we don't host, but you do. Then people can review them here???? LEt me know your plans and thoughts.
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Exactly what I was thinking of, but I couldnt say it straightforwardly as I'm not the owner of this site... :p
moshboy

Post by moshboy »

Actually oddly enough my site does have a review system in place and there is a forum also - unfortunately neither features are at the forefront of the site, hence a lot of people don't notice them. I have received a handful of reviews but most are relatively short.

As far as my plans go - at the moment my coder (Phantz) wants to code an extensive user system, taking elements from oldgames.nu, linkfilter.net and various others. It will be somewhat similar to what you guys have in mind - give out points for reviews, spotting errors in database, submitting games, screen shots, etc and gain levels, depending on points. I have been developing this system in my head for months so once it is actually done it will be fairly extensive. Those are my most major plans but this system will take a while to implement since Phantz has a busy life.

Co-operation between sites is fine by me. I currently get 1,000 uniques a day give or take and my pages are optimized for Google so that is only going to grow as time goes on and more games are added.
Chroelle
Admin emeritus

Post by Chroelle »

Sounds great... And extensive. No need to directly cooperate then, but maybe we could "partner-up". Making it more than a bannerswap, but also generally leading people to eachothers sites. Like if we don't own a game and people wan't it, then we can direct them to you... And maybe vice-versa?

How big is your database with all 1000 games? (Curious as I am thinking about how much space we need to buy)
Currently testing Life version 2.9 (With added second child)
(Beta testing in progress)

www.paed-it.dk - My blog in Danish

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
--Mark Twain
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Actually, some downloads are replaced with links (to gamehippo, abadonia etc.). So not all 1000 games are in moshboy's database (dont know if it's majority or minority).

Sorry for missing review system (found it now), but I still cant find the forum... :(
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

moshboy

Post by moshboy »

Actually all of the games on my site contain links (that is the concept of my site and what sets it apart from any other site) - the point of my site is not to host the downloads themselves. It is meant to be a database of freeware games and where to find information on each one, (hence the download links for each game). So if you guys eventually dedicate one download page to each game, I can add you to the download links of each one of those games.

My site is more of a portal than anything else. Unfortunately the Underdogs seems to be down at the moment, which has screwed up all my entries that link to their site but I'm hoping it will be back up soon.

My eventual aim is to put every freeware game I can find into my database, hence I'm hoping that I will eventually have the most comprehensive list anywhere on the web. At my current rate of updating it won't take too long, although Underdogs being down might be a problem since I was focusing on their freeware section.

So in answer to the original question - I use almost no space at all since I host no files.
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

Thats the problem with not hosting the games yourself though, you have to always check to make sure that the sites that host the games are still active. There are a few sites that I have been to that do that with both freeware and abandonware.

But good luck in creating the datebase, it looks really good.
eMTe
Cyberflaneur

Post by eMTe »

Underdogs are well and running - here's the explanation:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/forum/view ... hp?t=45963
"As you have noticed over the years, we are not angry people." (itebygur)
moshboy

Post by moshboy »

When I click on that link it doesn't take me to the Underdogs?

Can you copy and paste any of what was said and how to access Underdogs?
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

All I get is a a page that has a lot of links on it...when I click on a link at the tops saying why am I seeing this I get
You are seeing this page because the domain name has expired with Register.com. If you are the previous registrant of this domain name and would like to renew it, please follow the instructions below:
moshboy

Post by moshboy »

Yeah me too.
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

I just saw this over on BD...
s of March 21, 2006, the Home of the Underdogs website is broken due to the domain name registration having expired. Sarinee Achavanuntakul, during a rare public appearance on the site's IRC channel, related that this was due to credit card difficulties and that the domain would be working again soon. In the meantime, the site is still accessible via its IP address (http://209.120.136.195/[1]), but downloads and screenshots will be unavailable as the servers won't accept IP addresses as referers for those things
JKSM

Post by JKSM »

The new link to underdogs is this. Just replace the .org in the old address with .info
moshboy

Post by moshboy »

Just incase anyone is interested I have added a few functions to my site, including a new online games' section. Feedback appreciated.
moshboy

Post by moshboy »

Another new design for those who care to have a look. Still a few things to iron out but I quite like it - easier access to games.