Nintendo Wii

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Parvini
Tycoon

Nintendo Wii

Post by Parvini »

All of a sudden I REALLY want one. This has the potential to be the most revolutionary thing to hit gaming since the release of the NES in 1983 - comments, thoughts... will you be getting one this Xmas?

I'm getting up first thing on 8th December to hit the stores with my friend just in case there are a couple of non-preordered ones floating about.
"The mind is its own place, and in itself/ Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n" - John Milton (Paradise Lost, Book I, lines 254-55)
Pitkin
Tycoon

Post by Pitkin »

Wii is the only console I've ever wanted to get when it first comes out, but I'll have to wait at least some time after the release due to rather precarious financial situation (alright, exaggerated, but I'm a penny-pincher).

No new game really interests me immediately, but if the service of downloading any old NES/SNES/such console game for a smallish fee is just within my reach, I definitely want the thing. On the other hand, if there's no other method of payment for the game purchases than credit card or Paypal (ie no option for prepaid download credit of sorts), I'm afraid even this console will be left unbought by me.

Sigh, I like the new console anyway. For the first time in my life. :|
Gendo
Prospect

Post by Gendo »

Pre-ordered as soon as I could, along with a copy of Zelda. Expectations are high and I really hope I'm not disappointed :)
Getting through life is as easy as 3.14159265...
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

I want it NOW NOW NOW! all ready pre-ordered and waiting, with Zelda and Rayman (even though I have not been a huge rayman fan this one looks cute). Still getting up bright and early because some store over pre-order and I don't want to be the one who didn't get one becuse the supply didn't meet the demand.
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

Wii is the only next-gen console I don't want (already have the 360 and intend to get the PS3, though maybe not at launch). There are no games lined up for the Wii that I want... and maybe I'm just too conservative but I hate the controller. :roll:
Eric
Patron

Post by Eric »

I seem to recall your objection to this console in the past Parv... ;)

Since I'm not a console game player I'm not fussed by the release of this system. It should be interesting to get gamers reactions of the new controller.

I notice the XBox 360 is now cheaper than ever too..... :)
:balloon::balloon: A proud propieter and advocate of tyranny :balloon::balloon:
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

Well I am annoyed, and Parvini or anyone else who hasn't preordered the wii and get one today I will be extreamly p**sed off.

Me and my boyfriend preordered one and got told when we did so, if there is any problems then we will phone you. So get up nice and early and go into the store to get it, we get asked our name and then after a couple of minutes get asked it we got a phone call. We said no we didn't, and they reply ohh well sorry you aren't getting one today, we phoned the people who are getting them last night, we only have 18 in stock. Hmmm, well what happened to phoning if there is a problem? So if anyone who hasn't preordered gets one today or within the next 2 weeks I will be so very annoyed, due to the simple fact I may be garenteed one for christmas, but I'm not garenteed on the day that they a released...

And if that wasn't good enough, some mail that I was expecting this week came while I was out trying to get the wii, its too big to fit through the door. So I have to now go to the sorting office, which is about 1hr away from where I live to pick them up.

I just don't think its my day.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

My friend is supposed to get his Wii today... too bad he's not getting all the games he also ordered. So...

I know what I'll be doing this evening!
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Parvini
Tycoon

Post by Parvini »

I didn't pre-order one, instead I got up at 6.30am and went with a friend to a Tescos Home Store - the only store in the country doing a "first come, first served" policy (i.e. no preorders). I was number 8 in the queue they only had 48.

9.00am - store opened, 9.05 - Nintendo Wii sold out.

I got mine though complete with Zelda and an extra remote, I'm not allowed it till Xmas though :(

However, my mate opened his and we played Wii Sports for about an hour.

I will just say here that any fears I had were completely dispelled - I have never been so blown away by a new console in all my life. The only comparable moment is probably when I first got my SNES with Mario World back in 1991. The remote sensor is SO natural, so intuitive, it is totally amazing. There were times when we were playing the bowling game where I actually forgot I was playing a computer game, I might as well have been bowling.

Now I just can't wait till Xmas. Knowing the Wii is here in my flat and not being able to play it is torture. I hope Nintendo totally dominates this round of consoles, it deserves it for having the vision to do (and pulling off) something so new and doing it so well. And I haven't even played Zelda yet! Nothing in gaming has got me this excited in YEARS. Please let this be Nintendo's turn to beat the evil PS and inferiror XBox into the ground!

That said, I hope they support it with a top lineup, beyond Zelda and Wii Sports it's pretty slim pickings. COME ON Nintendo! Can't wait to get my mum and dad, my girlfriend, my uncle all playing Wii. Forgive me, but it's f******g awesome!
"The mind is its own place, and in itself/ Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n" - John Milton (Paradise Lost, Book I, lines 254-55)
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

In response to Parvini's post...

:damnpc:
Gendo
Prospect

Post by Gendo »

Aww, commiserations Diz. Nintendo got pretty much everything right in the run up to launch so even if they put out more consoles than one might expect for a launch they had no chance of meeting the insane demand they drummed up for it. Even the controllers are in terribly short supply...

My console & Zelda came in the post today (just waiting on the extra controller), but the bulk of my amusement today came from work, where one of my colleagues set his up at his desk. We didn't get much work done, needless to say, thanks to the steady stream of people coming in to try it :p

Now I've had an hour of it to myself, I can definitely confirm it's a cool thing to have. I doubt it'll get many hardcore gaming sessions by virtue of what it is (my arm's feeling the strain already), but that'll probably work in it's favour as I can already see myself coming back to these games for months to come.

As for new software... I've got my eyes on Trauma Center, and maybe Batallion Wars 2. With all the good feeling behind it, I'm confident that the third party publishers and developers will put their money where their mouths are and bring out a steady stream of quality games currently unknown to us.

In the meantime, I could always go back to Gamecube titles. I love how the little box caters to backwards compatibility by having all the GC ports covered up on one side. I may finish Resi 0 yet... and maybe track down a copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends...
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

Well as long as I get one before christmas I guess it isn't too bad really. We ordered Zelda and Rayman along with an exta controller, so hopefully we will get these too.

Trama Center is a must for me when it comes out (although I still haven't managed to finish the DS version :p) and the Wario one will always be fun multiplayer :D I just hope that the same thing doesn't happen that happened with the eyetoy. My boyfriend was playing on that and ended up breaking the lightshade at my parents house :p
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

Double post but I don't care.

I got a phone call today about the wii and they had mine, so it may have been a day late but its better than a week later :D I got Zelda and Rayman as I said and rather than just get an extra controller I got another game wii play which came with a free controller. I only really did this as it was £4 more than a controller and with the deal they had on meant that I saved £30 (so really only paid £4 for the extra controller and a game :D)
Gendo
Prospect

Post by Gendo »

Not only a double post. It's almost a duplicate from the one you did in the bar :p

I don't think anyone has bought Wii Play for the game :roll: It's a good way of getting hold of an extra remote at the moment, what with the standalone controllers being so hard to get. In fact, (possibly a fib, but I wouldn't put it past this guy...) one of my richer colleagues got his Wii, but on finding his extra controllers were going to be delayed he instead bought 3 (yes, three!) copies of Wii Play.

24 hours of owning a Wii and no breakages yet ^_^
Parvini
Tycoon

Post by Parvini »

Small point but... I think it is Wii Play that comes free with a controller rather than the other way round - You're paying £30 for the controller, £5 for Wii Play.

Gendo and Dizi - have neither of you bought Wii Sports??
Gendo
Prospect

Post by Gendo »

Gendo and Dizi - have neither of you bought Wii Sports??
Wii Sports is bundled with the console, so no we didn't buy it :p

I'm glad they did as well. It's a good demonstration of what the Wii can do to appeal. My dad is rarely coaxed into playing any videogames, but he had a little go on this yesterday and... whisper it... he had fun. He plays baseball pretty well.
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

I'm just happy that I got one :D

And Parvini Wii play comes with a free remote not the other way around like you said, cos thats how nintendo have advertised it :p

And yes I got wii sport as Gendo said it was part of the bundle you get with the console. But its quite fun for what I think is just a demo disc :D
JKSM

Post by JKSM »

Have any of you read about accidents playing with Wii? Hmm, gamers can be so violent / too engrossed in playing. :roll: :P
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

Anyone silly enough to rely on a little strap like that deseves a broken tv :p Why would you let go of the controller when you are swinging it around like that anyway?

As for the broken lights, I can see that happening a lot :p
Gendo
Prospect

Post by Gendo »

Dizi wrote:Anyone silly enough to rely on a little strap like that deseves a broken tv :p Why would you let go of the controller when you are swinging it around like that anyway?
I'm not going to make cheap shots at those guys for fear of jinxing myself :p When you're excited and getting tired, I think it's quite feasible for the thing to escape one's grasp. Those controllers are quite smooth and plastic y, just ripe for being lubricated by sweaty hands...

Still, are people really getting so into these games that they're swinging them with all their bodily might? Because I imagine you'd need quite a bit of welly to both a) break the strap (they're not *that* flimsy) and b) penetrate the surface of the TV screen/stereo system/whatever so much as to cause irreparable damage to the system.

I do get the impression that some of those folks didn't actually use the strap or didn't attach it properly, but are too embarrassed to mention the detail :roll:

(1 week of Wii without a breakage ^_^)